The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-28-2018, 02:18 PM

I have a shallow interest in keyboards, cello and bass. I want to gain enough skills to play chords + melody on piano and write basslines on bass when I record my own songs. I have no plans for a cello other than to just mess with it for a week or so. I think if I can find one in a store and play for a few minutes, my curiosity will be satisfied.

Last edited by Jusca; 07-28-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:50 PM

Sitar. I have a nice sitar and found a guy in Maine who gave me one 8 hour lesson. I learned to tune it and the basics but would love to find a local massachusetts guy who teaches this.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:38 PM

I haven't figured out that much about the guitar yet! My brother played tenor sax in the HS band. It was a cool instrument.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 07-28-2018, 04:33 PM

I was just talking last night with some musicians about another instrument to play. I told them I wish I'd learned to read music early in life and had taken piano lessons. I guess it still isn't too late yet.

I would also enjoy playing the steel guitar as well as the bass. Winter is coming in a few months, so I might have some extra time available for learning other instruments.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:34 PM

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 07-28-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post

My Bluegrass weapons of choice!!

Old 07-28-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
At this point in my life I don't have a desire to learn another instrument. If I had to choose though, the banjo.
Sit down, relax, take a drink of water, stay calm...

Lock up all pharmaceuticals and sharp implements as soon as possible...

Remember we're your friends - we'll help you get through this...

You don't have to suffer alone - call us immediately if you feel the urge coming on again...
Old 07-28-2018, 04:59 PM

Harp - too many Marx Brothers movies as a kid maybe?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-28-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
At this point in my life I don't have a desire to learn another instrument. If I had to choose though, the banjo.
Perfect Pitch /pərˈfekt piCH/ noun - The sound a Banjo makes when it hits the bottom of a dumpster...……..and lands on a Dobro!!

Old 07-28-2018, 06:30 PM

I was haunted by the sound of a violin when I was very young and implored my mother to let me take lessons. She laughed the idea off saying I was such a rough & tumble kid (always getting hurt) and careless in my ways that I wasn't suited to the discipline needed to learn. I still remember that. It was 1963. I was 8 years old. Obviously, she'd never heard (or considered, if she had) William Congreve's "Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast, To soften Rocks, or bend a knotted Oak." Nor had I but one of us was supposed to be the wiser and it wasn't quite my time for such worldly knowledge. So, no fiddle for me.

My son, who does play the violin, just got back from a road trip visiting various south western US cities. He brought back a flute made by one of the native American tribes he visited along his route and has been playing it. What a wonderful sound. Normally I'm not much of a fan of blow pipes but this one has a charmed timbre. I can imagine it being played skillfully by a tribal member at sunset and filtering throughout the encampment.

But, the guitar has proven to me that the discipline my mother did not ascribe to me is certainly challenged enough by its perpetual lure to discover more about it.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:38 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Perfect Pitch /pərˈfekt piCH/ noun - The sound a Banjo makes when it hits the bottom of a dumpster...……..and lands on a Dobro!!

I'm guessing the first thing I would do if I get one of those new fangled electricity fiddles (lol) I'd get some of that blue house painter's tape, cut it in real thin strips and put them where the frets would be if it was a guitar to make the right notes.....

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-28-2018, 08:09 PM

Yes , the hammered dulcimer would be interesting , but I have this thing about the oboe .
As a side , it would be fun to mess around with a theremin .
Old 07-28-2018, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefooter View Post
I was just talking last night with some musicians about another instrument to play. I told them I wish I'd learned to read music early in life and had taken piano lessons. I guess it still isn't too late yet.

I would also enjoy playing the steel guitar as well as the bass. Winter is coming in a few months, so I might have some extra time available for learning other instruments.
After hearing the many "horror" stories from folks who had piano lessons as kids, I am glad to be starting that with a "clean slate" as an adult. I have been teaching myself using one of the many methods available these days for non-classical piano. I figure 2 -3 years of focused attention will provide me the skills I need to hold my own, with continued improvement as I play more and more tunes. Being able to read music, as well as being able to hear music (which is a typical strength for guitar players), and having an understanding of music theory goes a long way when self-teaching.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-28-2018, 10:09 PM

Drums. Bought a kit in January, started taking lessons in February and I am doing fairly well. It's actually helping my guitar playing.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Hammered dulcimer. I have a lovely one and have messed around with it, but never mastered it. So, I've always thought that would be one of my retirement goals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Yes , the hammered dulcimer would be interesting ,
I've been playing hammered dulcimer off and on for over 10 years now. These days, I only do weddings because the money is so good. I got burned out on playing it. It's a lot easier than it looks once you get used to it. Out of all of the stuff I've done over the past couple of decades, I've had the most financial success with hammered dulcimer. My music has sold all over the world (thanks Internet!), and it wasn't difficult to get gigs back then. The death of the CD has absolutely killed my sales, and I'm not in love with playing the way I used to be, but it can be a lot of fun. I wish I enjoyed it as much as I used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
Drums. Bought a kit in January, started taking lessons in February and I am doing fairly well. It's actually helping my guitar playing.
I'm a mult-instrumentalist, but my favorite I keep coming back to is drums (I've been playing for almost 25 years). When people ask me what's the one instrument that helps with all of the others (especially if they are interested in getting their kids involved in music), I always tell them drums. It has helped absolutely everything I've ever played because you can't "fake" drums in a band the way you can guitar, bass, etc. If you miss a guitar chord or bass note while in a band situation, it gets covered up by other instruments pretty quickly and recovery is minimal. Drums is a totally different story. If you mess up, everyone knows...even the least-musically-inclined person in the crowd. There's no better instrument out there (IMO) that teaches a person about committing to each note. If you don't agree with me, just try it. You'll see what I mean.

If anyone has any questions about drums or dulcimer, please feel free to PM me!

Last edited by PorkPieGuy; 08-03-2018 at 08:53 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic