The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-05-2018, 04:33 AM

Default Baggs M1A issues

I bought a used Martin 000-15M with a LR Baggs M1A pickup. When I plug it into my Fishman Loudbox mini I get a humming sound. I have two Taylors with ES pick ups and no issues with them. I also have a number of ukuleles with pickups and no issues there either.

Any idea what might be causing this. I tried the phase button in the in and out position on the amp with no change. The hum gets louder when volume is increased with either pickup control or gain and master on the amp.

Last edited by DownUpDave; 07-05-2018 at 04:55 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:58 AM

Check the simple stuff first.

Presumably there are no amp problems?

Is there any output at all from the pickup? A loose connection or bad lead would cause a hum so check lead from pickup to end pin and from end pin to amp and make sure everything is plugged in securely.

If there is still hum, remove the pickup and end pin from guitar and check again while it's outside the guitar.

If it still hums it's time to contact the seller.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:40 AM

Have you tried a new battery?
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-05-2018, 06:06 AM

To answer both questions. Yes there is output, everything works as it should and it sounds good except for the hum. The seller said he put in a new battery and the pick up does work. I can try a new battery if you think that might help.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:03 AM

Shot in dark, but what cable are using between the end jack and the amp? The Taylor ES system uses a TRS to XLR cable. The Baggs M1A uses a TS (standard guitar cable). There could be (?) an issue there if you are using the same cable you use with the ES system.

Last edited by RustyAxe; 07-06-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:31 PM

I would take the pickup out of the guitar and give all the cable connections a shot of contact cleaner. I would also replace the battery. Next plug all the cables together to see if it still hums outside of the guitar. If it does, I would call Baggs tech support.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-05-2018, 03:41 PM

More simple stuff - the mini-jack connector on the actual pickup body. Is it fully in? Might have become dislodged if the seller had it out to change the battery.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:32 PM

This is a follow and a thank you to all those that gave me valuable information. I tried most of what was suggested but to no avail, so off to the guitar tech. I bought this used if you remember so it could have been anything. One weird thing was it hummed when plugged into my Fishman loudbox mini in the basement but not the Yahama in the main floor dining room. The Fishman always lives in the same spot and many instruments have been plugged in with no issues.

The tech found who ever installed it used the external mono cable instead of the dedicated one and they did a poor job. There was also steel wool filings inside and the end pin jack needed replacing, no extension to hook a strap onto. Back at home down in the basement it still hummed into the Fishman, upstair into the Yamaha no hum. The tech had mentioned that because it is a magnetic pick up location can cause issues. Took the Fishman upstairs........no hum, eureka. I am glad I took it in he solved some problems, he did a set and it plays great and I got an education. Maybe this helps someone else, if it hums move locations and see if that helps.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:42 PM

[QUOTE Took the Fishman upstairs........no hum, eureka. ][/QUOTE]

Sounds like you may have an issue with the basement house circuit. Maybe reversed polarity or a grounding problem. Perhaps florescent lights or other things on the same circuit.
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification