The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-06-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
While not up to the level of my acoustic archtop, it does indeed have a very pleasant natural sound, entirely enough to sit and play acoustically. While it could drown out a clavichord, it is otherwise probably only a useful gigging tool when plugged in. Did I mention my Humphrey? They are a great combination.
Hi Bruce - I have to say - it's such an honor having you as a customer - thanks for finally pulling the trigger at La Conner a few weeks back. I think I need to use that quote from you " . . . the sound has haunted me since Healdsburg . . "
In case it's not been mentioned in the thread already - I'm thinking Tyler is Tyler Wells? (https://www.lhtguitars.com)
Old 06-06-2018, 05:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveMan View Post
Hi Bruce - I have to say - it's such an honor having you as a customer - thanks for finally pulling the trigger at La Conner a few weeks back. I think I need to use that quote from you " . . . the sound has haunted me since Healdsburg . . "
In case it's not been mentioned in the thread already - I'm thinking Tyler is Tyler Wells? (https://www.lhtguitars.com)
Yes I bought Tyler Wells's guitar at La Conner. While his guitar is great, and quite "other" than my own work, I probably won't be gigging with it much. Whereas your Amp is getting nearly daily use. What a treat to not have to think "this guitar could sound better" the whole time I'm playing. The whole point of my building is to NOT have to think about the guitar while making music, and the Amp should be much the same. Sounds Great, Thank you.

If I said Healdsburg I misspoke. It was at the first Santa Barbara show that your amp weaseled its way into my brain. Hopefully my guitars did the same to a few people.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 06-09-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Self Portrait

I put the final coat of Varnish (with luck) on Ben's Guitar today. In a month or so it will be playable.

I also glued the neck to the body on the 00 I am making for the Vancouver event. And I should be able to play that one in a few days, hopefully before I leave for the Grass Valley Bluegrass festival next Wednesday.

Ben's back:

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 06-09-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

That’s absolutely gorgeous Bruce. And, I like the watermark of your image imprinted on the back of the guitar, nice touch
Old 06-09-2018, 03:15 PM

OH yes, that came out very nicely! Cool to have seen that one in person!!! I called Ben and told him it was coming out pretty cool (not really hahaha).
Old 06-09-2018, 07:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Ben is SO cool, I'd be pretty hesitant to try to instruct him. Seriously! No, Seriously!!!

I spent much of the day on the 00, and here is the evidence.

I have never owned or worked in a Camera Shop, and it probably shows. But I HAVE been building guitars steadily for over fifty years, and If you folks ever try one of mine, you'll very likely want to keep it. That's my plan, anyway.

On the next working day I will make a bridge and glue it on. The day after that will be the day of reckoning, so to speak.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:32 PM

Now, I like that headstock - it meets with my complete approval. I wish everybody else's were as good. Simple, clean - and nice.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Smile What Bard said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Now, I like that headstock - it meets with my complete approval. I wish everybody else's were as good. Simple, clean - and nice.
Yes, THAT IS A LOVELY HEADSTOCK indeed! Very interesting and beautiful face and backplates. That back is sure pretty too!

Carry on!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 06-16-2018, 04:45 PM

Thats absolutely stunning Bruce! Can't wait to see pics of the Guitar you're bringing to Vancouver International Guitar Festival, will it be the same body shape?

Owner of Coloma Guitars
www.colomaguitars.com
Old 06-16-2018, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith Coloma View Post
Thats absolutely stunning Bruce! Can't wait to see pics of the Guitar you're bringing to Vancouver International Guitar Festival, will it be the same body shape?
Meredith, Bruce is bring the 00 made from “The Tree” shown above to Vancouver...
Old 06-16-2018, 06:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am at the Grass Valley bluegrass Festival at the moment, and though we do have WiFi I have been too caught up to say anything for days!

Bob has it right, the Tree 00 is the guitar I am bring the Vancouver. I plan to right my Ducati up with the guitar on the back. I my find a way to bring 2, but possibly just the one.

I’ll be home on Monday.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am back from GVBF. Turns out that the best thing about this year's show was schmoozing with the boys, by which I mean my fellow luthiers. What a hoot!

And I am back to work on my first day post-show. Laurelyn, my daughter, is joining me in the shop for the summer and will build her first complete guitar, or so goes the plan. It is my intention to have her do as much as she can without it falling far short of my standard. In other words, we expect it to come out inside the normal range of my own work. Even if it strays a bit, it will be a true Sexauer!

Today we picked her wood. It will be Honduran mahogany topped with German spruce. Tomorrow she will decide what size it is to be. Probably 00 or 000. More or less style 18. She does hope to sell it, and I expect it to be between a third and a half what I would expect for my own work.

Here's the back and sides with the top peeking out:

I will build a guitar along side her to demonstrate the main moves, not that she hasn't seen it all before. I think it will be Adirondack over Black Limba. This will be the guitar I take to Italy in the fall, assuming I sell the "tree" 00 in Vancouver. Looks like this:

The next two pictures are the 4 piece back I am joining for Tom B'sox JB-L00, though it will be on the back burner while i work with Laurelyn. This is Imperial Brazilian Rosewood, sisterwood to the classical I built a couple of years ago. The first is laid out for matching, and the second has been jointed but not glued up:

Old 06-19-2018, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

Cool project!
Old 06-19-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Cool project!
Which one?
Old 06-19-2018, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Cool project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Which one?
All of them, but I was referring specifically to the post immediately before my comment: the project with his daughter.(edit — I just saw your “winky”)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop