The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-25-2018, 07:13 AM

I've been playing my new Les Paul for a couple week straight, but I pulled out the PRS last night and was instantly amazed. Yeah, I am definitely preferring the PRS. It's a shame considering the Les Paul was such a good deal, but it may be going back...
Old 08-18-2018, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I've been playing my new Les Paul for a couple week straight, but I pulled out the PRS last night and was instantly amazed. Yeah, I am definitely preferring the PRS. It's a shame considering the Les Paul was such a good deal, but it may be going back...
Are you still considering getting rid of the Les Paul? Great to have both a Les Paul and a PRS.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:38 AM

After rotating the following guitars:
Brondel Sonic Blue Honeycaster Strat with a Tele bridge pickup
2016 SG Standard with Throbak PAFs
PRS SE with three Dimarzio Super Distortion Humbuckers and push pull pots
PRS McCarty Gold Top double cut with Duncan Soap Bars.

I have decided that the Gold Top in the neck position has the best blues ton3 through my vintage Tweed Deluxe. I run the Deluxe at 2-3 on the volume with the tone at 75-100%. A Boss Fender ‘63 Reverb and Zen Drive complete the set up.

Playing with my brother on Hammond B2, Velo Bob on bass, Wally on drums, I get plenty of volume and tone that sings for our blues set consisting of Albert and B.B. King, Disraeli Gears, Paul Butterfield, Coco Montoya, Howard Tate, Carolyn Wonderland, Doc Watson, Jerry Garcia, Howling Wolf, and more.

The PRS has the same tone I got with a ‘59 Les Paul TV Special through a Seymour Duncan Convertible, a combo I used in the 90s for recording and gigging. Those were sold off years ago.

When I use the PRS through the Victoria Tweed Deluxe in the country band with a pedal steel player, Velo Bob, and Lumpy the drummer, I get a clean Tele sound via the bridge pickup. The steel player likes it better than the Strat.

Unlike the SG, it stays in tune.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Apparently this fellow is

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-22-2018, 06:19 AM

Any PRS amp fans here? I've never played one before but I've heard great things about the Archon.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Any PRS amp fans here? I've never played one before but I've heard great things about the Archon.

I played one before. I wasn’t really impressed. It was good, but I wasn’t floored by it. I’ve owned and played a lot of nice amps over the years. The PRS was not something that would catch my ear. I don’t remember what model it was though.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
I played one before. I wasn’t really impressed. It was good, but I wasn’t floored by it. I’ve owned and played a lot of nice amps over the years. The PRS was not something that would catch my ear. I don’t remember what model it was though.
Were you playing mostly clean, overdriven, or distorted tones?

I can't see a PRS amp ever being on my radar (unlike the guitar) but I'd like to try a couple.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Were you playing mostly clean, overdriven, or distorted tones?

I can't see a PRS amp ever being on my radar (unlike the guitar) but I'd like to try a couple.

I tried clean to overdriven. Nothing super heavy. I was trying out a PRS guitar that I ended up buying. I tried that amp and it was nice, but just a little meh, for the price. I then plugged into a Zinky Blue Velvet. It blew that PRS amp away. I asked if that was for sale and it wasn’t. So, I bought the PRS, found a Blue Velvet online and had one within about three weeks.

I say that to say, the Zinky made a HUGE impression. The PRS amp didn’t. And I’m a PRS fan, like I said. But I think better amps can be found for much cheaper. Or amazing amps can be had for the same price as the PRS amp.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I then plugged into a Zinky Blue Velvet. It blew that PRS amp away. I asked if that was for sale and it wasn’t. So, I bought the PRS, found a Blue Velvet online and had one within about three weeks.

I say that to say, the Zinky made a HUGE impression.
I still have my Zinky Blue Velevet. I need to plug in one of these days.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I tried clean to overdriven. Nothing super heavy. I was trying out a PRS guitar that I ended up buying. I tried that amp and it was nice, but just a little meh, for the price. I then plugged into a Zinky Blue Velvet. It blew that PRS amp away. I asked if that was for sale and it wasn’t. So, I bought the PRS, found a Blue Velvet online and had one within about three weeks.

I say that to say, the Zinky made a HUGE impression. The PRS amp didn’t. And I’m a PRS fan, like I said. But I think better amps can be found for much cheaper. Or amazing amps can be had for the same price as the PRS amp.
At least PRS still made a sale that day.

I've never heard of Zinky amps before. I did some googling and found out a little about them. Is the Blue Velvet mostly a cleanish / slightly overdriven amp?
Old 09-23-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
At least PRS still made a sale that day.

I've never heard of Zinky amps before. I did some googling and found out a little about them. Is the Blue Velvet mostly a cleanish / slightly overdriven amp?

Bruce Zinky was the designer of the beloved Fender Custom Shop amps a while back- I think the VibroKing and ProSonic were two of his. He also has/had something to do with Supro Amps as well.

The Blue Velvet is one of the few amps I’ve ever heard that can go from sparkling clean to super heavy gain. It’s channel switching (2 channels) with boosts on both. You can get Voxy, chimey cleans with it and some really deep, thick distortion. It’s light. It’s super cool looking, IMO. The Velvet instead of tolex is awesome to my eyes.

I’ve seriously not seen an amp that you can get for a better deal. I use a really complex set up with either two or three amps. But, if I was going out for a night to play and could take one amp, it would be the Blue Velvet. You can get them for $750 or so. The cleans on that thing are just so gorgeous. I don’t care for the reverb, but I pretty much hate all spring reverbs. My Swart has a tube reverb that sounds pretty and an old Fender of mine has a decent one, but that’s about it for amp equipped reverbs for me. I owned a Bad Cat before and I’d put these cleans up against those (though not at the same volume).

If you want a versatile, fairly light amp that won’t break the bank, check them out.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:40 PM

Also, I think the PRS I played was the Dallas. I looked them up and that seems to be the one I played. It was pretty simple. Not tons of knobs. But it has that paisley tolex, which seems to cost a premium. It was in the $2000-2500 range. For that money, you’re entering Matchless, Bogner and /13 territory. This was NOT in their league. To some it might have been. But I was not impressed with it for the price. Good amp. But I could get something else like a 3 Monkeys and have a good bit of cash left over.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:49 PM

I own 2 PRS GUITARS and love them both, a SE Custom 24 and a Studio with Narrow fields PUs
Old 12-27-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viccortes285 View Post
I own 2 PRS GUITARS and love them both, a SE Custom 24 and a Studio with Narrow fields PUs<<snippet pic>>
What a sweet PRS.

Anyone gassing for a new PRS?
Old 12-27-2018, 05:47 PM

Dangit Dru this isn’t helping. I haven’t had GAS in years but lately I can’t stop about that McCarty 594 Singlecut. My playing is horribly worthless but it doesn’t matter, that McCarty is calling my name out loud.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars