The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-27-2018, 10:48 AM

Default Care and Feeding of CF guitar

Greetings. I posted awhile back about a wood top for an Emerald Balor. I wound up going 100% CF in blue instead, and am very happy with that choice. It's since arrived, and we are getting acquainted.

I'm wondering about how people take care of their CF acoustics. I know it's supposed to be impervious to weather, etc. BUT

--do you do anything special to care for the finish?
--is the truss rod tweak purely for player's preference or is it sometimes necessary when changing to a different brand of strings (with a different tension), or for other reasons?

Etc etc.

I'll post a NGD thread eventually but this will do for now.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:52 AM

My limited experience is that no truss rod adjustments have to be made between extra lights and mediums. Neither of my CF guitars seemed to notice the change. I sure did tho.....
Old 06-27-2018, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

No truss rod adjustment necessary for different string brands/gauges in my experience. On my X7, I lowered the saddle, but didn't need any neck adjustment. My X20 came in perfect for my tastes. If you do find a minor tweak on the truss rod is necessary, I doubt you'll have to do it another time for string changes (or climate changes).

As far as taking care of the finish: I wipe my Emeralds down with a microfiber cloth after each session. If I find I have finger printed them, I use a barely damp microfiber, then dry it. I play the heck out of them and they still look like new.

No other cleaning has been necessary... for full disclosure, I don't eat spaghetti or chili over the top of my guitars, and I'm a pretty average sweater. TMI? Again? I have been working on my "filter."

Play that Emerald - enjoy that Emerald! I bet that blue is pretty! I'd know for sure if you wanted to post some photos.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I'd know for sure if you wanted to post some photos.
It would help me know as well...thanks in advance... usually a 20 photo requirement ... but 10 will work for now.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-29-2018, 01:53 PM

I don't have an Emerald. Mine's a RainSong Concert OM.

Can't speak to neck question.... I've never changed gauges or had any other reason to adjust the truss rod. From what I know of the stiffness of carbon fiber, though, I doubt there would be any change if you went up or down a gauge.

But as far as cleaning it goes, I've never needed anything but Windex and a paper towel. There are a couple of products that RainSong recommends:

"To clean your RainSong use a high grade, non-abrasive automotive detailing product such as Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Final Inspection 34 or Quik Detailer (www.meguiars.com), and a soft all-cotton cloth. Remember to inspect the rag to make sure nothing abrasive is on it.Other than that, your RainSong requires very little. Just make sure you play it and have fun!"

Obviously, yours isn't a RainSong, but I have to assume the resins used to bind the carbon fiber cloth are very similar. Hope this helps.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:44 AM
Charter Member

Most CF guitars will have a gloss polyurethane finish. Automotive and marine finish products work well as properly applied.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 07-02-2018, 06:39 AM

I believe Emerald Guitars have a polyester finish.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 07-02-2018, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
I'll post a NGD thread...
Yeah, very curious about those Balors!

About the CF cleaning...

My GX lives inside, outside, parked under a tree, played in hot weather (sweat), gets beer spilled on it, covered with pine pollen, whacked around by my neighbors 2 and 3 year olds... can't say it looks brand new, but close.

I never wipe it down after playing. Maybe before, if there's alot of pollen or dust around. I do clean it a bit during string changes. Micheal from MacNichols said to use Wizards Mist-N-Shine for Motorcyles and a micro fiber cloth. That's what I use, no polish.

No truss rod on the GX and no need for one.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:07 PM

my choice

2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 07-02-2018, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Doesn't Windex have Ammonia in it ? I wouldn't use it, but that's just me, no bad experience or anything. I used to do stained glass and I know you are not supposed to use it on that type of glass.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
my choice

Michael Constantine from Room 222? And a million movies and TV shows too??
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-03-2018, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Correct you are.(again)
That pic was from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" (well not mine)
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 07-04-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Doesn't Windex have Ammonia in it ? I wouldn't use it, but that's just me, no bad experience or anything. I used to do stained glass and I know you are not supposed to use it on that type of glass.
Not so much a problem on the stained glass (which is about as stable as any other, say, window, glass. Rather, it is an issue with the metals - reaction with lead, scratching (in case of abrasive window cleaners) the patina on the metals, and like that. I suspect there is no particular problem with Windex on the CF guitar but I prefer other cleaners anyway...
Old 07-04-2018, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post
Not so much a problem on the stained glass (which is about as stable as any other, say, window, glass. Rather, it is an issue with the metals - reaction with lead, scratching (in case of abrasive window cleaners) the patina on the metals, and like that. I suspect there is no particular problem with Windex on the CF guitar but I prefer other cleaners anyway...
Thanks, makes sense
Old 07-05-2018, 01:15 PM

I've used nothing but Windex on mine for a couple of years now, and I haven't had any problems at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Room 222? That's a deep cut.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber