The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-16-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
I too have been thinking about getting back in the saddle so to speak. Checked out a Suzuki V strom 650 today. Other makers have similar road/adventure bikes they call them. I will be riding two up most of the time so this one seemed to have what looked like the best seat, and I bet it is, except for one thing. Does everyone but me have a 34" inseam? I mean really, a 32.9" seat height? They are all right around there. Yes, you could change the shock link but that only give about 1/2" less height. Suzuki makes a lower saddle by 1/2" but that is 300 dollars. Bike comes with windscreen, case guards, saddle bags, passenger grab rails, all what I would want...but the seat....deal breaker...too bad.
You're smart to avoid bikes you can't flat-foot (both feet.)

Cruisers and some sport touring bikes are considerably lower than the V Strom. Most of that info is available online, but the funner way is to go to the stores and sit on lots of bikes.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:08 AM

A 650 single on road / off road was the coolest thing ever. But I too found the seat height un-acceptable so never got one.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 08-17-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickgm60 View Post
You're smart to avoid bikes you can't flat-foot (both feet.)

Cruisers and some sport touring bikes are considerably lower than the V Strom. Most of that info is available online, but the funner way is to go to the stores and sit on lots of bikes.
My last bike was a Suziki Katana...best one I ever owned. Great seat, could put both feet flat, ride two up with no trouble. Going to look at a used one later today, 2001 w/14k on the clock. Seller wants 2800.00, a bit steep for a 17 year old bike that may need new brake lines, carbs cleaned, etc. But well see.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:15 PM

How much lowering does it need? For a dual purpose bike like the KLR if you can flatfoot it on level ground with just a slight bend in the knee that should be enough. I think it would be far preferable to lower the seat height either by getting a trimmer/upholsterer to remove up to an inch or so of foam or getting a lower aftermarket seat (That is actually quite a lot because it gives you an extra 2" at the heel if your toes are already on the ground). I don't believe that lowering linkages are an easier solution for dropping seat height & can also alter the geometry & characteristics of the bike's suspension.

I generally ride lighter, more enduro style bikes through the bush (currently Yamaha WR250F, previously GasGas EC300 for last 10 yrs) so flat footing has not been that much of a priority. Having said that the seat height of the Yammie is about an inch higher than the Gasser and even at 5'11" with offroad riding boots my heels are up well off the ground while stationary & a bit out of my comfort zone at times so I'm thinking of getting some foam removed from the seat or getting an aftermarket one with a lower profile.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 08-19-2018, 12:07 PM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 09:22 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic