The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-12-2018, 11:43 PM

Default Looking for a flatpicking arrangement for 'Greensleeves'

I've been trying to learn this tune to play as a lullaby for our baby. Most, if not all, arrangements I have come across are fingerstyle. It's obviously easy to pick out the melody by ear and play that as a flatpicking lead line, but I'd prefer to play a somewhat "richer" arrangement like Carter style.

Anyone have suggestions?

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 08-13-2018, 03:53 PM

Steve Kaufman plays a version that is....quite rich (you can find it on youtube). It's beyond me by many lifetimes, but might be good for inspiration/ideas.

He also has a column on it in a back issue of Flatpicking Guitar Magazine. You can order those for 5 bucks, although I've never seen it so can't say whether it's a transcription or just an article about the song.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitz81 View Post
Steve Kaufman plays a version that is....quite rich (you can find it on youtube). It's beyond me by many lifetimes, but might be good for inspiration/ideas.

He also has a column on it in a back issue of Flatpicking Guitar Magazine. You can order those for 5 bucks, although I've never seen it so can't say whether it's a transcription or just an article about the song.
Thank you, Fitz, you nailed it, kinda. I say "kinda," because those two sources are exactly what I've come across, and I'm looking for alternatives that don't require me throwing money into this. I had the exact same question about the article in FPM that you mention. I'm a bit reluctant to order a copy of the magazine plus shipping on the off-chance of receiving something that's actually useful.

The version Steve plays on YouTube is very impressive, but unfortunately, I couldn't make it till the end because I couldn't bear watching the innocent pieces of what I consider the soul of "Greensleeves" helplessly writhing in pain as they were being sacrificed on the altar of technical prowess.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Taylor GS Mini
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 08-14-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Thank you, Fitz, you nailed it, kinda. I say "kinda," because those two sources are exactly what I've come across, and I'm looking for alternatives that don't require me throwing money into this. I had the exact same question about the article in FPM that you mention. I'm a bit reluctant to order a copy of the magazine plus shipping on the off-chance of receiving something that's actually useful.

The version Steve plays on YouTube is very impressive, but unfortunately, I couldn't make it till the end because I couldn't bear watching the innocent pieces of what I consider the soul of "Greensleeves" helplessly writhing in pain as they were being sacrificed on the altar of technical prowess.
Lol yeah, his version may be a bit self-indulgent, for sure. If you stick with the video, he starts in on a more Carter-style arrangement a couple minutes in. FYI, most of those back issues can be purchased as a "digital download" for a couple bucks. Cheaper than a hard copy, plus you don't have to wait for shipping.

As you say, it probably lends itself to a more classical style. Kaufman's version is entertaining, but--as you say--doesn't really capture the spirit of the song. (I always picture a monk plucking it out in free-time on a lute, for some reason.)

I learned Greensleeves from a fingerstyle arrangement, and that was my introduction to using anything other than a flatpick on guitar. Great fun, and definitely lullaby-ish if you're willing to forgo a plectrum for a while. Since there seem to be so few flatpicking arrangements, I think I'd start with a fingerstyle version I liked to get the chords/melody, adapt it to Carter style, then start adding embellishments.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Kathy Barwick has a version in FGM V17 #1. I don’t see a version from Steve Kaufmann in the index.

Martin D28 (1988)
Guild JF30
Voyage Air MD-02
Collings D1
Bourgeois vintage OM
Old 08-15-2018, 08:47 AM

Found this on youtube: Greensleeves Guitar Lesson - "What Child Is This?" Guitar lesson - How to Play - EP232.

The guy shows how to play the first part of the song, with chords with some melody notes mixed in. The actual lesson starts around 5:00 on this video.

This other video shows the entire song, chords only though: How to play and sing Greensleeves (easy guitar)

Should be able to combine the two to make it work, maybe. I'm going to try these out today and see what happens.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but it's a start. I can't make the links work but if you copy and paste the titles listed, in the Youtube search function, the videos come up.

Last edited by thomasinaz; 08-15-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjlipton View Post
Kathy Barwick has a version in FGM V17 #1. I don’t see a version from Steve Kaufmann in the index.
Ron, if we lived in the same place, I'd buy you a beer. Turns out I have that exact issue from way back when I subscribed to FGM for a couple of years. I meant to go through my issues but haven't had a chance yet, and it seemed like searching for a needle in the haystack. Thank you! I'll check it out as soon as I get home from work.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Taylor GS Mini
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 08-15-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasinaz View Post
Found this on youtube: Greensleeves Guitar Lesson - "What Child Is This?" Guitar lesson - How to Play - EP232.

The guy shows how to play the first part of the song, with chords with some melody notes mixed in. The actual lesson starts around 5:00 on this video.

This other video shows the entire song, chords only though: How to play and sing Greensleeves (easy guitar)

Should be able to combine the two to make it work, maybe. I'm going to try these out today and see what happens.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but it's a start. I can't make the links work but if you copy and paste the titles listed, in the Youtube search function, the videos come up.
Sounds great, thank you!

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Taylor GS Mini
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 08-15-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitz81 View Post
Lol yeah, his version may be a bit self-indulgent, for sure. If you stick with the video, he starts in on a more Carter-style arrangement a couple minutes in. FYI, most of those back issues can be purchased as a "digital download" for a couple bucks. Cheaper than a hard copy, plus you don't have to wait for shipping.

As you say, it probably lends itself to a more classical style. Kaufman's version is entertaining, but--as you say--doesn't really capture the spirit of the song. (I always picture a monk plucking it out in free-time on a lute, for some reason.)

I learned Greensleeves from a fingerstyle arrangement, and that was my introduction to using anything other than a flatpick on guitar. Great fun, and definitely lullaby-ish if you're willing to forgo a plectrum for a while. Since there seem to be so few flatpicking arrangements, I think I'd start with a fingerstyle version I liked to get the chords/melody, adapt it to Carter style, then start adding embellishments.
Great suggestions here. I love your image of the monk with the lute. Nails it. And it's funny, you articulate exactly what I was thinking when I started looking into this tune, namely that it is the first time that I find myself questioning my attitude toward fingerstyle (zero interest until now). But for playing lullabies at the crib, a cannon dreadnaught and a stiff flatpick just don't seem quite right...

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Taylor GS Mini
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 08-15-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Great suggestions here. I love your image of the monk with the lute. Nails it. And it's funny, you articulate exactly what I was thinking when I started looking into this tune, namely that it is the first time that I find myself questioning my attitude toward fingerstyle (zero interest until now). But for playing lullabies at the crib, a cannon dreadnaught and a stiff flatpick just don't seem quite right...

I can get you a guitar tab of the oldest known lute version of this piece if you want to fingerpick it. It's very simple and sounds great.

I used it for the guitar bed for this arrangement:

Greensleeves (What Child is This)

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources

Last edited by FwL; 08-15-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwL View Post
I can get you a guitar tab of the oldest known lute version of this piece if you want to fingerpick it. It's very simple and sounds great.

I used it for the guitar bed for this arrangement:

Greensleeves (What Child is This)

Your arrangement sounds wonderful! I'd love that!

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Taylor GS Mini
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 08-17-2018, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ron, if we lived in the same place, I'd buy you a beer. Turns out I have that exact issue from way back when I subscribed to FGM for a couple of years. I meant to go through my issues but haven't had a chance yet, and it seemed like searching for a needle in the haystack. Thank you! I'll check it out as soon as I get home from work.
No problem. I’ll buy myself a beer.

Ron

Martin D28 (1988)
Guild JF30
Voyage Air MD-02
Collings D1
Bourgeois vintage OM
Old 08-18-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Your arrangement sounds wonderful! I'd love that!

Here you go. I only posted the first page, because there's only two parts that repeat over and over. Also I notated this for capo at the third fret. You can just play it without a capo. It will probably sound much more soothing in A minor.

Link to PDF file

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write