The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-20-2020, 02:35 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Here's hoping today is successful for you!
Old 03-20-2020, 07:10 PM

I just received a Doerr Trinity Select Signature today as well mine, like lizzard’s above, is spruce with maple b/s. I’ve not had much time with it yet (working from home somehow seems to mean working harder than I do in the office!) but my first impressions are that it is a fantastic instrument. Light, incredibly resonant, and of course visually stunning (don’t get me started on the BRW b/s on yours!). Hope you enjoy it in good health!
Old 03-23-2020, 11:03 PM

@RustNeverSleeps, congrats on your Doerr. Please share some photos here if you can (in this thread is fine by me!). I am a card-carrying fan of maple bodied instruments. Love to see it.

I've not had a ton of playing time with the Doerr, but I can say that I am extremely happy. My quick thoughts:
  • The build details are FANTASTICALLY well executed down to the smallest detail
  • It's every bit as gorgeous in person, if not more so
  • The neck shape is nice, more D-like than C
  • The tone is nicely balanced and I'm impressed with the depth of the bass and the clarity of the trebles
  • I play finger style only and have a light "attack". I find it responds a bit more when I use a slightly harder attack. I suspect as the spruce top opens up, it will be a bit more responsive to the lighter touch. Tom said over the years he has tried to find a balance between headroom and responsiveness.
I have been working on Scarborough Fair and hopefully in the next week or two I'll get it to the point where I'll have the courage to post my first ever geetar sound sample. Hot dang! ;-)
Old 03-26-2020, 01:44 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Fantastic! Thanks for your review Eddie!

I am truly looking forward to your sound sample.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:08 AM

looks awesome...
Old 03-27-2020, 08:09 PM

I would give the neck as long as you can bear, and then a little longer. I keep multiple neck shapes and spacing on acoustics and electrics to force myself not to wuss out. Your hands and technique will adapt in time. Shame to let that be a reason not to bond. Looks stunning, looking forward to early results/impressions.

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 03-29-2020, 06:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

That is a beautiful guitar with a lot of unique design elements. I especially like the bridge. Congratulations on your new guitar.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele_Eddie View Post
@RustNeverSleeps, congrats on your Doerr. Please share some photos here if you can (in this thread is fine by me!). I am a card-carrying fan of maple bodied instruments. Love to see it.

I've not had a ton of playing time with the Doerr, but I can say that I am extremely happy. My quick thoughts:
  • The build details are FANTASTICALLY well executed down to the smallest detail
  • It's every bit as gorgeous in person, if not more so
  • The neck shape is nice, more D-like than C
  • The tone is nicely balanced and I'm impressed with the depth of the bass and the clarity of the trebles
  • I play finger style only and have a light "attack". I find it responds a bit more when I use a slightly harder attack. I suspect as the spruce top opens up, it will be a bit more responsive to the lighter touch. Tom said over the years he has tried to find a balance between headroom and responsiveness.
I have been working on Scarborough Fair and hopefully in the next week or two I'll get it to the point where I'll have the courage to post my first ever geetar sound sample. Hot dang! ;-)
Sorry, Eddie. I only just saw this. More than happy to oblige! I bought the Doerr second-hand and the original owner was kind enough to provide many professional photos, some of which are below:

Hope you're still getting on well with the Doerr! Mine has quickly become my favourite instrument. Absolutely fantastic - sound, looks, build quality. It's brilliant.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:17 AM

That is GORGEOUS, Patrick. I love maple and I love bursts, so that is right up my alley. Really, if I were in a position to commission another Doerr right now, I would ask him to do something like that.

And, yes, I absolutely do love my Doerr. It nails all four dimensions that are important to me: Tone, Playability, Aesthetics and Build Execution.

And while I cannot believe I spent that much on a guitar, I have no regrets that I did, not only because it nails my four dimensions but also because it hits a coveted 5th dimension for me - Uniqueness. The BRW set is really special -- love the touch of sapwood in it -- extremely unique in its look.

Stay healthy and safe, everyone!
Old 04-09-2020, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Wow Rust--that is another amazing Doerr to be sure!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop