The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2018, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Default J. Y. Kim guitars

Does anyone have information on J. Y. Kim guitars, which were made in Korea? The one I have, an SJ-1098 model (similar to a Martin Jumbo size), appears to have a Lowden style bridge and a wood pick guard and three piece neck similar to some Samick Yairi made models from the 1989-91 period. I believe it is a solid spruce top with a laminated tiger myrtle back and plain laminated myrtle sides. First-time user so have not figured out how to post an image yet.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneseeker View Post
Does anyone have information on J. Y. Kim guitars, which were made in Korea? The one I have, an SJ-1098 model (similar to a Martin Jumbo size), appears to have a Lowden style bridge and a wood pick guard and three piece neck similar to some Samick Yairi made models from the 1989-91 period. I believe it is a solid spruce top with a laminated tiger myrtle back and plain laminated myrtle sides. First-time user so have not figured out how to post an image yet.
Can anyone help me with posting a photo? Thanks.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Default J.Y. Kim SJ-1098

Old 04-03-2018, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Default label

Here is an image of the label.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/to9olteq8...and+Made_6.jpg

Last edited by toneseeker; 05-02-2019 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Found photos
Old 05-02-2019, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Default More photos

Here is the body and some other images. Looks like solid spruce top and laminated Tasmanian Myrtle ("Tiger Myrtle"?) back and sides. Lowden style bridge. Lowden style 5 piece neck. Lowden/Samick-Yairi style wood pick guard.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/to9olteq8...and+Made_2.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/to9olteq8...and+Made_8.jpg

Might anyone have any experience with of this maker before?

Last edited by toneseeker; 05-02-2019 at 07:02 AM. Reason: change language
Old 02-07-2022, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Default knockoff

The more I think about it, I'm wondering if this was a guitar created by someone associated with the Yairi shop in Korea or the one in Japan that helped George Lowden. The similarities in style to Lowdens and Samick Yairi SK models of the late 80s in regards to the bridge, five-piece neck, and the wood veneer pick guard are intriguing. Of course the headstock is much different looking but if you straighten out the bulging sides, it would be something similar to that of the Lowdens.

Anyone know of any other Lowden type copies out there? I'd be interested in seeing them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
lowden, samick, yairi