The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-03-2012, 01:06 PM

Default Yamaha ac3r or taylor 314ce?

hey ppl, i've been playin guitar around 5 years now...i'm mainly an alternative singer songwriter..i currently have an ibanez artwood guitar which i paid 350 for..i wanna upgrade but i dont know whether i shud pay 1650 for a brand new 314ce or pay 900 for a yamaha ac3r...i mainly want the guitar for strumming. My dream guitar is a taylor 814ce but i dont know if the lower series like the 314ce would be worth it..is it?...it has solid sapele back and sides as appose to the yamaha's solid rosewood...the yamaha has all the features i want but i'm worried that it won't match up to the sound of a taylor....i need help! :/ please give me you views..
Old 04-03-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuaboodram1 View Post
...the yamaha has all the features i want but i'm worried that it won't match up to the sound of a taylor....i need help! :/ please give me you views..
You need to play both and decide if the Taylor is worth $700 more. I have not played the Yamaha but I personally love the sound of the 314ce. Doesn't mean you will feel the same way. If you are going to play primarily plugged in, the Yamaha may have the edge in sound shaping ability. FWIW, you should be able to get a used 314ce in the $1000 range.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:15 PM

I've played both actually and would in this instance take the Taylor over the Yamaha. My best advice play both and see for yourself.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
hey ppl, i've been playin guitar around 5 years now...i'm mainly an alternative singer songwriter..i currently have an ibanez artwood guitar which i paid 350 for..i wanna upgrade but i dont know whether i shud pay 1650 for a brand new 314ce or pay 900 for a yamaha ac3r...i mainly want the guitar for strumming. My dream guitar is a taylor 814ce but i dont know if the lower series like the 314ce would be worth it..is it?...it has solid sapele back and sides as appose to the yamaha's solid rosewood...the yamaha has all the features i want but i'm worried that it won't match up to the sound of a taylor....i need help! :/ please give me you views..
The relatively new Yamaha A series are 'packaged' and marketed with a kinda Taylor vibe about them. But only a Taylor sounds like a Taylor. If you want the Yamaha to give you a Taylor sound it won't. Saying that, as you point out, the Yam has solid rosewood back and sides and it also has the excellent SRT pickup system. So, same kinda look and vibe, but different sounds and very different prices. Both very nice guitars. The only way to decide is to play them both at the same time. Well, nearly the same time. You know what I mean..
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 04-03-2012, 01:32 PM

thanks...but the prob is i live in trinidad which is an island in the caribbean and my dad who doesnt know about guitars, is gonna buy either one for me..btw use is not an option...the main prob is...the only reviews of the yamaha is by this dave goodman guy and he only does finger picking!..i'm gonna be doin more boyce avenue type music...(alternative acoustic)
Old 04-03-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
thanks...but the prob is i live in trinidad which is an island in the caribbean and my dad who doesnt know about guitars, is gonna buy either one for me..btw use is not an option...the main prob is...the only reviews of the yamaha is by this dave goodman guy and he only does finger picking!..i'm gonna be doin more boyce avenue type music...(alternative acoustic)
Oh right. Well look, I get the impression that soundwise you'd prefer the Taylor - from what you say. Ok. But let me say this, although it won't sound the same, I doubt if you'd be disappointed with the Yamaha's sound either. In particular, the SRT pickup system responds like a mic'd guitar; so all the body resonance and stuff are there in glorious detail. Not sure if you've seen this web page? be sure to click on the 'more' options that take you through the SRT system. The killer is the demo that goes from the basic pickup sound to the full SRT sound - the difference in detail is amazing.

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/guitar/srt/
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 04-03-2012, 01:55 PM

k thanks alot! i think i'll go for the ac3r! i'll be saving 650 dollars! plus alot more variety...my real concern was the quality of chinese made over u.s.a made..but after all they do make the best pianos..i think i'll go with the ac3r plus i prefer rosewood!...as a yamaha owner what do u think of their quality?
Old 04-03-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
k thanks alot! i think i'll go for the ac3r! i'll be saving 650 dollars! plus alot more variety...my real concern was the quality of chinese made over u.s.a made..but after all they do make the best pianos..i think i'll go with the ac3r plus i prefer rosewood!...as a yamaha owner what do u think of their quality?
The thing is about Yamaha, they pay a lot of attention to the quality control of their guitars - no matter where they're made. It's rare to get a poor one materials or build wise. So when compared against an American made brands, Yamaha is able to pack a lot of value into what they give you. Some people are put off by the 'made in China' tag, I'm not. I take as I find; I look at it, scrutinise it, play it, read specs and stuff, and decide on that basis, not specifically the country of origin. Plus there's no doubt about it, rosewood has that irresistible rumble when strummed hard.

I like Yamahas - clearly from my acoustic guitar list - but I also love Taylors, I love that choral, sweet top end they have. At the end of the day, as everyone says on here, it must be your decision. It's just a pity you do not have auditioning facilities for both guitars together.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 04-03-2012, 02:20 PM

i know rite! wish i could play both but in trinidad they dont bring much high end guitars.. but i usually visit the u.s alot.. so i guess i'll have to come and try the both...i'm really favouring the ac3r now though check out some of my music if u have the time just google: joshua boodram
Old 04-03-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
i know rite! wish i could play both but in trinidad they dont bring much high end guitars.. but i usually visit the u.s alot.. so i guess i'll have to come and try the both...i'm really favouring the ac3r now though check out some of my music if u have the time just google: joshua boodram
Strangest thing just happened, i was watching youtube then got bored. So came onto the AGF and, being interested in getting a Taylor 314ce, I looked at this post. Read down and found this comment, so i googled your name. Want to know the last video i checked out online before coming onto AGF?- Your "Escape - Enrique Iglesias" cover!!! Mind = blown!
Thanks for this post, i'll definately have to check the Yamaha when i'm trying guitars out.

(P.S- Just subbed you, keep it up!)
Callum
Old 04-03-2012, 03:21 PM

I played the new A series Yamaha recently and was not impressed even one bit.
I don't know if it was the solid wood model (probably not), but my FG730 was just as good.

I'd get the Taylor if I had the $$. I once was very tempted by a used 310 at GC, it had a crack, but was one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:21 PM

wow! thanks soo much!!! i really struggle with getting views..lol.. and i'm seriously thinkin about getting the ac3r...when i did some detailed research the pick up system is amazing!...also check out kraftmusic..they have amazing bundles with the yamaha ac3r!
Old 04-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Interesting discussion. My first really good guitar was the 314ce, about 8 years ago. I have not found a Yamaha A-series concert to try, only the A1R or A1M, which were a big disappointment. (These are the less expensive A series guitars).

Check out this video demo of the AC3R - this is one of the best I have heard/seen.

Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IObyg9AAKaw
Old 04-04-2012, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgyrl View Post
Interesting discussion. My first really good guitar was the 314ce, about 8 years ago. I have not found a Yamaha A-series concert to try, only the A1R or A1M, which were a big disappointment. (These are the less expensive A series guitars).

Check out this video demo of the AC3R - this is one of the best I have heard/seen.

Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IObyg9AAKaw
Great link, I hadn't seen that one - and the guy gives one of the best descriptions/demos of the SRT system.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 04-04-2012, 02:21 AM

I haven't played that particular Yamaha but I've played around 25 Taylor 314ces. I've played plenty of Yamahas that left me yawning and feeling I'd rather plink the piano instead. I haven't played a single Taylor 314ce that I thought was a dog. Sure, some were better than others and I must say one thing, the 2012 models are sweeter still. Every 2012 made 414 and 314 I've played has been the best I've played. They are nailing those models this year. Get a 2012 314ce and keep making great music, you will not very likely get a bad one, I don't think there really are any bad ones, not new anyway. Taylor quality control seems to be stellar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
taylor 314ce, yamaha