The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2019, 07:32 PM

I'm pleased to report that after spending another 10 or 15 hours with the Guild dreadnought, I'm finally starting to adjust. It still feels big and boxy, but I've modified my strumming technique and posture, and I'm no longer experiencing numbness in my strumming hand. The soreness in my strumming arm has also subsided. The moral of the story is that almost everything in guitar is physically challenging for at least a few weeks, so don't give up on something quickly just because it's uncomfortable.

This isn't to say a dreadnought will work for everyone, of course, but I think it might end up working out for me.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:59 PM

That's good to hear 👍 Thanks for following up and I hope you have many years with your big ol' Guild!
Old 02-16-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningside View Post
I'm pleased to report that after spending another 10 or 15 hours with the Guild dreadnought, I'm finally starting to adjust. It still feels big and boxy, but I've modified my strumming technique and posture, and I'm no longer experiencing numbness in my strumming hand. The soreness in my strumming arm has also subsided. The moral of the story is that almost everything in guitar is physically challenging for at least a few weeks, so don't give up on something quickly just because it's uncomfortable.

This isn't to say a dreadnought will work for everyone, of course, but I think it might end up working out for me.
I hope it continues to work for you. When I was a teen I spent way to much money on an SG electric (long neck and notoriously top-heavy when standing), and I ended up having to get rid of it as it was causing back problems from the posture it required of me to play it. Thirty-five years later I came across another at a price I could not refuse, but again, I could not adjust and it had to go.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:40 AM

Dreadnought is all I've ever known.

However I alternate between playing it on my right leg and my left leg (classical style) when playing seated which might help you.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:41 AM

Default A better solution

I used to have similar problems with dreads. I’m 5’7” and now play dreads with no problems. Here’s my solution - hopefully it will work for you as well. If I play dreads seated with them resting on my right leg which is the ordinary position most people use, I have the typical problems everyone else describes. What I do instead is the use a strap when seated. Then I position the guitar so that is hangs lower the the typical position and I lean the upper edge of the lower hour inward towards my torso. What this does is to lower the right arm so that the shoulder is not raised as it would be in the usual position and leaning the top toward me and the treble side of the lower bout outwards decreases the forward reach so that my arm is not extended outward any more than a thinner guitar. For me this has solved the problem and I can play dreads as long as I want with no discomfort. Give it a try. I hope it helps you.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calstang66 View Post
I think it's common that folks switch from preference for dreadnaughts to a preference to smaller body guitars. But the reverse change is rare. I used to be all dread only, now I own one, but I much prefer my smaller guitars. Taylor and Eastman offer several guitars Grand Auditorium size, in the middle. My Eastman AC422 GA is wonderful, rosewood, sitka.

I say go smaller.....
Boy, that’s me for sure. I bought a D28 when I was about 20 years old (it was used, only about $400 back then) and it was my only acoustic guitar for more than 25 years. Never a moment’s though about its size or my comfort playing it. I sold it several years ago, though, because I wasn’t playing. I got back into playing a lot a couple years ago and went looking for another nice acoustic and I loved the 000 and smaller guitars I played and couldn’t believe how big and cumbersome the dreads felt. No way I’d buy one at this point in my life. I do now have an Emerald X20, which feels like a 000 but sounds like a dread, so that’s a nice combination. But a couple years ago I thought I really might have wanted another D28, until I played a few...

-Ray
Old 02-16-2019, 08:21 AM

The edge of the guitar can compress the nerve in your upper arm, which is not humerus at all.
Try a pad where your arm contacts the guitar, perhaps? Try a OOO playing in the same position as usual and see if you get different results?
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 02-16-2019, 09:08 AM

Loved the sound, but sold mine. Playing comfort's part of the deal; life's short.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:54 AM

Have you tried putting an armrest on the guitar? These are made by a number of companies such as John Pearce and others and they affix to the top edge of the lower bout and provide a more rounded contour for your arm while lifting your arm off of the top to give the top a significantly greater ability to resonate and make nicer and louder tones. An alternative is to buy a dreadnaught with a built in bevel at that same spot. For example, Taylor (and a few other makers) offer guitars with that edge there beveled back by about an inch to make it easier for your arm to come over there. Here is an example of what Taylor offers on some of their guitars as either standard or as an upgrade option:
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 02-16-2019, 10:56 AM

Do you use foot stool to prop up your knee?

I am 5'9" and I have never had any issue with jumbo or dreads or any guitar size. I simply adjust the foot stool in a way that my right shoulder and elbow are just shy of being pretty much horizontal. Possibly where I feel that the hand is resting on the bout. Never let the shoulder raise even a tiny bit above the socket.
Guild D120 - All hog
Old 02-16-2019, 11:21 PM

Default You might try a Jumbo...

I was a drednaught owner for ten years, a time when I rarely played guitar much. It was just too uncomfortable, for all the reasons mentioned. Then I tried a Jumbo -- specifically, a Mini Jumbo -- and I never looked back. This is a big-bodied guitar with a strong bass, but the narrower waist puts it lower in my lap and the slightly thinner body helps, too.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 02-17-2019, 03:57 AM
Charter Member

This may, or may not, help.
Let me know :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d20, dreadnought, guild