The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2021, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
OP here ... I've ordered one.

Aged Cherry Sunburst finish with hard case.

That's great to hear! I think you will like it a lot. I certainly like the one I bought! I am also "considering" the J200 my dealer has in stock. I'm just not sure quite yet.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgift View Post
Where did you order from?
I'm in Australia.

'The Acoustic Centre' in Melbourne just did an outstanding job selling 3 of my guitars on consignment so I've ordered one through them.

I know it's not a Gibson (trust me, I know the difference .. see picture! ) but it sounds really good in clips and I already have a 'Made in Indonesia' Epiphone EJ-200 so I know the build quality is OK too - seems like a lot of guitar for the money.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-16-2021, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm in Australia.

'The Acoustic Centre' in Melbourne just did an outstanding job selling 3 of my guitars on consignment so I've ordered one through them.

I know it's not a Gibson (trust me, I know the difference .. see picture! ) but it sounds really good in clips and I already have a 'Made in Indonesia' Epiphone EJ-200 so I know the build quality is OK too - seems like a lot of guitar for the money.

Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts!!

Eastman AC630BD --The Hot Blonde
Taylor 317
Rickenbacker 620 Midnight Blue
Yamaha FG700 (lives in Miami for family visits)

"Son, don't wait till the break of day, 'cause you know how time fades away..."
Old 05-16-2021, 10:07 PM

Listen To These New 'Inspired By Gibson' Epiphones

Did you order a J-200? Curious if you ordered a natural or sunburst.

I don't own any sunburst acoustics, but after seeing Bruce's, I think I would prefer the sunburst variety. My Gibson J-200 has rosewood B&S, and my Korean Epiphone EJ-200 has laminate B&S. Both are natural tops, the Gibson also having a lovely naturally-aged patina to the top.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 05-16-2021, 10:18 PM

For whatever it’s worth (I’m hardly a pro) I tried out an Epiphone J-45 yesterday at GC. It looked and felt fantastic, the finish feels just wonderful under the hands. But I wasn’t in love with the tone. It was just “ok.” It’s been a long time since I’ve been guitar hunting, so maybe I’ve just become more of a rosewood guy, but that guitar didn’t make me want to spend $700 (plus whatever else for a case). But I feel like, of the three, the 45s have gotten the least hype. I know folks love the ‘Birds. They didn’t have one, or a 200.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCity View Post
For whatever it’s worth (I’m hardly a pro) I tried out an Epiphone J-45 yesterday at GC. It looked and felt fantastic, the finish feels just wonderful under the hands. But I wasn’t in love with the tone. It was just “ok.” It’s been a long time since I’ve been guitar hunting, so maybe I’ve just become more of a rosewood guy, but that guitar didn’t make me want to spend $700 (plus whatever else for a case). But I feel like, of the three, the 45s have gotten the least hype. I know folks love the ‘Birds. They didn’t have one, or a 200.
I have tried all three and I like the Hummingbird the most, followed closely by J200. The J45 was at GC and had dead strings, but it really did nothing for me. I bought the Hummingbird and am seriously considering the J200. But the same store has an Eastman AC630 BD and the Eastman sounds better to me. But then, there is a $1400 price difference so it should!
Old 05-17-2021, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I have tried all three and I like the Hummingbird the most, followed closely by J200. The J45 was at GC and had dead strings, but it really did nothing for me. I bought the Hummingbird and am seriously considering the J200. But the same store has an Eastman AC630 BD and the Eastman sounds better to me. But then, there is a $1400 price difference so it should!
As someone else on the AGF pointed out recently, every one of those Eastman AC630's has a stunning set of maple on the back & sides - they look fantastic.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-17-2021, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
As someone else on the AGF pointed out recently, every one of those Eastman AC630's has a stunning set of maple on the back & sides - they look fantastic.
I'm jonesing for that Eastman. Stunning. But 3x the cost of the Epis. Also, tough to find. But I'm in love with it!

Eastman AC630BD --The Hot Blonde
Taylor 317
Rickenbacker 620 Midnight Blue
Yamaha FG700 (lives in Miami for family visits)

"Son, don't wait till the break of day, 'cause you know how time fades away..."
Old 05-17-2021, 08:32 AM

Well, took my daughter out to the local guitar shop and lo-and-behold they had an Epi IBG J45. Wow! was I ever impressed!! Sounded simply wonderful and looks the part , too. I even like the oversized pickguard. Played an Eastman slope shoulder (e10 ss, I think?), and a Gibby J45, and liked the Epi best. At $699 don't see how you can go wrong with all solid woods.

I think I'm going back to pick it up this week, it was that good.

scott
Old 05-17-2021, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

These Epiphone guitars sound really nice- I would probably buy one!
but they don't sound like Gibson guitars to me...
just sayin'.

madhat.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:19 AM

A couple of high-quality reviews/demos for the J200 & J45 (still haven't chanced upon a competent demo of the Hummingbird, which is the one I'm most interested in).

I don't really see the point of comparing these with the actual Gibsons. The comparison should be with similarly priced guitars. I mean, who's deciding between a $4k guitar and a $800 guitar?

Last edited by ZeroFretWear; 05-17-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

I think this gives a pretty good idea of the sounds of all three. They made one where they used the pickups and it sounds very boomy, so they remade it using microphones.

Old 05-17-2021, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

I've quit watching most review videos. They are mostly made by someone with the guitars to sell, and the gear used to record them is different. Then you should seek out Rhett Shull's video where he discusses his video recording process, and plays pre and post production samples. You realize that $100 pedal is played through a $2k amp and mic'd 4x12 cabs, then run through some high end plug ins. Much to his credit, you realize how much the reviewed product is just a slice of the pie.

Most everything with good production is selling product or clicks. Not that you can't advertise a good product.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-17-2021, 07:45 PM

A few months ago I picked up a Gibson G45 Studio. Great guitar, but then I stumbled upon one of these Epiphone IBG Hummingbirds. Picked it up last week and am very impressed. I was planning on only keeping one but plans change

Both have been professionally set up and play amazing. I like the tone of both although they are very different. The Gibson is lighter and I can feel the body resonating a little more but I’m guessing the lighter top and thin finish have something to do with that.

Also, the Hummingbird has Elixirs on it and I’m not sure how I feel about them. I will get a better test once I swap out to some EJ16s.

So far, I am really digging it. The finish, fretwork, etc. is spot on.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:21 AM

Well, I went ahead and went back to the shop to check out if that Epi J45 really sounded as good as I remembered...yup!!

Bought it yesterday, changed strings to GHS vintage bronze, and man, does this thing sound great! I was really impressed when I capoed up to the 5th fret.

Maybe I just found a great one, but I am a convert for sure! Woods are beautiful, tuners are smooth, set up was spot on (I did have to quarter turn the truss rod to straighten the neck just a hair), no excess glue, and it just looks cool!

The only downside is it didn't come with a case. Brand new out the door for $700.

scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion