The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2021, 05:09 PM

Default What Is The Best Tone You’ve Heard?

Acoustic: A Triggs 19" Master 400 cutaway archtop (a true "Swiss Army" guitar if there ever was one, and well worth the $7100 asking price in the early-2K's) and a first-batch '37 D-18 Authentic that my normally-jaded, guitar-playing wife aptly described as "mind-blowing" - both at MandoBros, and the latter of which found its way into the late Stan Jay's personal stash...
Electric: A mid-60's Gibson Johnny Smith D played through an early silverface Deluxe Reverb with factory JBL, at a catered affair in the mid-70's; even if you're not a jazz fan this thing sang like Pavarotti's parakeet - the classic carved/suspended-pickup archtop "tone-you-can-eat-with-a-spoon" richness with the added clarity and articulation of the JBL speaker - and I've heard A-listers who couldn't approach the tone this local semi-pro was getting...
Old 11-20-2021, 05:15 PM

Being in the room, it's hard to beat a really good harp guitar (or even a decent one). So much more top area, bass extension, and resonance.

I've heard a lot of great recorded tones, including those produced by many members of AGF. There really are some great recordings nowadays. But the album I use for reference more than any other is "Man on the Moon" by Matt Thomas for a few reasons:

-I like the songs enough that the CD lived in my car CD player exclusively for six months after I bought it. So I'm very familiar with how all the songs sound.
-The tone he gets on that album is great. It's modern enough to compete with anything, but not overly hyped or compressed. It still sounds classy to me, and that's pretty much what I'm after.
-Engineered/Produced by Kim Person who has also Engineered Tommy Emmanuel, Stephen Bennett, Dustin Furlow, and other folks who all have great tone.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 11-20-2021, 05:20 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPJ77 View Post
What is the best sounding guitar you’ve ever heard? Was it a guitar you’ve owned? One you’ve just played? Or maybe one from a recorded album?
It was a used Martin D35 at my local GC that I played but could not afford three or four years ago. Haunting.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 11-20-2021, 05:29 PM

Larrivee OM-09 in Red Cedar/Black Walnut.

Far outside my budget at the time.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-20-2021, 05:29 PM

A 1936 D-18 at Hill Country Guitars a few years ago. I was never much of a believer in the pre-war Martin thing until I played that one. Bill Collings had borrowed it for a while to come up with the Traditional model and told them not to take less than the $60k that they were asking. Out of my price range.

#2 was an Olson that he made for Pierre Bensusan and he rejected. Someone on the forum owns it now. A great guitar.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Same here. For me you can't get better tone than a D-18 with Retro strings.
I'd have to agree with you. The D-18 is my favorite Martin model. A good D-18 sounds great to my ears, despite being a Gibson guy. I also like the Guild D-40.

And there I go again with the spruce and mahogany.

One thing that I'd note is that I'm a singer as well as a guitar player. I'm not sure if my preference for spruce over mahogany guitars has anything to do with that or not, but it could be a factor.

I also own two spruce/maple guitars, my second favorite combo, and one spruce/rosewood, which is the Gibson Jumbo shape.

So it makes me wonder if the preference for spruce/mahogany has anything to do with playing to accompany singing? It just sounds "right" to me, but obviously other people would prefer different things.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:05 PM

Having owned and played many guitars over the past 55 years, I have to say my Greven OOO in Brazilian and Lutz spruce is the best sounding guitar I have ever personally played - this is in comparison to Martins, Taylors, R Taylors, Collings, and Guilds I have owned and played over the years.

Regarding the best guitar tone in a performance or recording, many performers have very nice guitar tone, however this is always a combination of the performer, the guitar itself, the pickup(s) used, and the amplification and tone-shaping hardware/software used in the performance or recording.

Like most of us, I know what I like and understand that it may be quite different from what others like in a guitar tone. That's the beauty of it all, there is something for everyone.

Bill

2002 Taylor GA 12-string custom: sitka/mahogany
2013 Greven OOO: Lutz/Brazilian
2021 Greven OO-12 fret: Lutz/Brazilian
2017 Rainsong Al Petteway Ltd. OOO: carbon fiber
2017 Birdsong Especial II Bass: Cypress/Rosewood
Old 11-20-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
What is the best sounding guitar you’ve ever heard? Was it a guitar you’ve owned? One you’ve just played? Or maybe one from a recorded album?
It was a guitar built by Bob "Moze" Mossay in San Diego. Moze was one of the original American Dream guys.

It was a Brazilian rosewood 12-fret dread with an Adi top. I think I recall something about scalloped braces, but no real specifics.

I remember thinking "If God plays guitar, he's going to want this one."
Old 11-20-2021, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default What Is The Best Tone You’ve Heard?

I think of two instruments when this question pops up on the forum. One was a spruce/mahogany Olson that I played at the 2003 Healdsburg Guitar festival. The tone just poured out of the sound hole with very little effort. Responded to both a light touch as well as digging in. Just a joy to play.
The second was a 1952 Herman Hauser II classical. Wow! Again, just pure, clear tone that just flew from the sound hole with a rich, warmth. So satisfying.
Both guitars came in way above my budget but I am grateful that I had the opportunity to play and experience them.
Best,
Jayne
Old 11-21-2021, 12:36 AM

One of the five PreWar Martin D-45’s that I’ve had the honor of playing. Now owned by Stephen Stills.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:35 AM

Default Best tone

My Yamaha fg1500
Old 11-21-2021, 03:53 AM

"What Is The Best Tone You’ve Heard?"

Impossible to say. Way too many things to consider: styles, players, songs, instruments, day of the week.....

I just was watching Neil Young from a 1971 BBC concert and he makes that D45 sound pretty great.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:04 AM

I'm not an expensive guitar buyer the most I paid was for a Gibson J15... So all my experience if from that and down..
So the best I've played is my Current Alvarez MD60BG ...
Old 11-21-2021, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What is the best sounding guitar you’ve ever heard?
My imaginary guitar. I've named it myth.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-25-2021, 08:47 AM

For me, a Froggy Bottom H-12 in adirondack over brazilian. Absolutely lovely and amazingly playable,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion