The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-20-2019, 02:21 PM

Default Floating pickup with mic?

I’ve mostly switched to flat top when playing acoustic for one simple reason: I have a combo mic/magnetic pickup that fits in the soundhole and gives me a beautiful jazzy sound that is somewhere between a miked acoustic and a jazzbox.

What I would really love is to find a pickup like this for my archtop. I’m imagining a floating hum bucket with a mic sticking out and a blend knob either on the pickup or on the raised pickguard, maybe instead of a tone knob.

Does such a thing exist? I’ve done various searches and can’t find one.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:20 AM

Not exactly what you are asking for, but I've used a lavalier mic AT-70 housed in an Audio Technica Unimount, which I clipped to the guitar's tailpiece. Separately the guitar has a standard floating pickup. I run the mic through the PA and keep the mic always on at a rhythm guitar level, and then turn up the floating magnetic pickup into an amp as desired. You could put both into a mixer or modern solid state amp and probably get close to what you want. The setup I described worked pretty well, but you end up with kind of a lot of wires and stuff, and multiple knobs to turn and get right.

I've also messed around with a large diaphragm condenser mic aimed generally at the guitar, and then also had the floating pickup. It's a similar idea, but not having the mic clipped to the guitar means the distance between the guitar and mic changes slightly, and as a result the volume changes as well. If you are trying to balance with a magnetic pickup those slight changes in volume from the mic can be an added challenge, or an opportunity for more dynamics depending on your wishes.
2012 AJL XO
2015 Yohan Cholet Modele Jazz
2018 Trenier Custom Archtop
2020 Fraulini Nick Lucas
Old 10-21-2019, 12:29 PM

I love the sound of a magnetic soundhole pickup blend with a mic. I have a Schertler AG6/S-Mic personally, but I have auditioned the Seymour Duncan MagMic and the Fishman Rare Earth Blend, and I really liked them as well. This has got me gigging with a flattop, but I would prefer to be back on an archtop if I could find a pickup like that in a floating humbucker format.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops