The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-08-2019, 11:18 PM

Default Tele Deluxe

There’s a Squier Telecaster Deluxe, white with one piece maple neck, all gloss finish, two humbucker pickups, made in Indonesia, for $500 new at a local shop - I can’t believe it’s still not sold after almost 1 year in stock - a perfect example - why Squier, you ask? - because it has the 4 screw neck plate. I think it’s the ideal electric guitar design. Anyone else love the Deluxe?
Old 12-08-2019, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

I had a Fender Deluxe 72 reissue. It played great. It was very well made. But, in the end I loathed...yes loathed..the “wide range” humbuckers. Even when properly set I found them bland...lifeless even.

I realize that you didn’t mention what type of humbucker the Squier had...but in the Fender version, the WR pickups are a real let down.

If the Squier you’re looking at is the Vintage Modified Deluxe reissue...I believe they have the WR pickups as well. And, $500 is a bit high as they should fall in the $300-$400 range.

On the positive side, my Father loved that guitar. So, I gave it to him, along with a Bugera V55. He plays both daily and always comments on his love for both pieces.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 12-08-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
I had a Fender Deluxe 72 reissue. It played great. It was very well made. But, in the end I loathed...yes loathed..the “wide range” humbuckers. Even when properly set I found them bland...lifeless even.

I realize that you didn’t mention what type of humbucker the Squier had...but in the Fender version, the WR pickups are a real let down.

If the Squier you’re looking at is the Vintage Modified Deluxe reissue...I believe they have the WR pickups as well. And, $500 is a bit high as they should fall in the $300-$400 range.

On the positive side, my Father loved that guitar. So, I gave it to him, along with a Bugera V55. He plays both daily and always comments on his love for both pieces.
Interesting info about the WR pickups - the Squier isn’t a ‘72 reissue due to the 4 bolt neck - I’ll have to check the guitar again for the pickups, but if they’re oversized profile, not the best platform for pickup upgrade. I find the 4 dial volume & tone controls well placed away from the bridge and flexible for mixing volumes on the two pickups. I think the traditional alder body results in a darker sound than the maple cap LP, but the 25.5” scale makes for a full body attack.

Thanks for the info!
Old 12-09-2019, 12:57 AM

I like my Telecasters with single coils. (Particularly in the bridge position).
Old 12-09-2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Interesting info about the WR pickups - the Squier isn’t a ‘72 reissue due to the 4 bolt neck - I’ll have to check the guitar again for the pickups, but if they’re oversized profile, not the best platform for pickup upgrade. I find the 4 dial volume & tone controls well placed away from the bridge and flexible for mixing volumes on the two pickups. I think the traditional alder body results in a darker sound than the maple cap LP, but the 25.5” scale makes for a full body attack.

Thanks for the info!
Those Squire reissues are pretty cool, with pretty nice wood, and yeah the generic wide range pickups are kind of bland, but many people are making wide range replacements that rock...

https://www.mojotone.com/Pickups_x/H...mbucker-Pickup

https://brandonwoundpickups.com/prod...ge-humbuckers/

http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/...nge-humbucker/

https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/c...ckers-set.html

https://www.fralinpickups.com/produc...nge-humbucker/
Old 12-09-2019, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Those Squire reissues are pretty cool, with pretty nice wood, and yeah the generic wide range pickups are kind of bland, but many people are making wide range replacements that rock...

https://www.mojotone.com/Pickups_x/H...mbucker-Pickup

https://brandonwoundpickups.com/prod...ge-humbuckers/

http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/...nge-humbucker/

https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/c...ckers-set.html

https://www.fralinpickups.com/produc...nge-humbucker/
Very cool info! Thanks for amassing this - I’ll be pouring over these product options for some ideas to modify that Squier (for hard rock) if I add it to my collection, which I’d like to do.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:57 AM

Can't say exactly what you're looking at.

I own a Squier Tele Deluxe from the first decade of this century. At the time there were two models: one with 2 regular humbuckers and one with two "Duncan Designed" P90s. I think they both sold for a street price of under $300 new back then, sometimes less when on sale or with coupon.

I have the P90 version.

Mine is heavy for a Tele, but it has a neck I like quite a bit. Not thin and skinny like some Squier Telecasters. I almost which I bought a second one and just used the neck on some other Tele. Mine has a light-colored thin satin finish on the neck, which has become more discolored by fingers than most maple necks that I've had.

The Duncan Designed P90s are really nice. This was my first P90 guitar and it started my love affair with them.

The four pickup controls are a plus/minus thing. I love the ability to use the single volume and tone controls with any/all pickups and I often do volume swells or false slow tremolo effects with the volume know or fake wah-wah with the tone control. On the other hand (as they are out of reach from the picking hand while picking) you can individually control and mix the pickups with the 4 knobs.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 12-09-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
There’s a Squier Telecaster Deluxe, white with one piece maple neck, all gloss finish, two humbucker pickups, made in Indonesia, for $500 new at a local shop - I can’t believe it’s still not sold after almost 1 year in stock - a perfect example - why Squier, you ask? - because it has the 4 screw neck plate. I think it’s the ideal electric guitar design. Anyone else love the Deluxe?
Yes I love the deluxe as well and have considered buying one but...

Until recently the only Squier Tele Deluxe with 2 wide range pickups was the Indonesian made Vintage Modified model. This had a 4 screw neck plate but had a neck radius of 12 inches.

The current model now on sale is an Indonesian made Classic Vibe with a 9.5 inch neck radius. I would have preferred the 12 inch radius just so it feels different from most Teles and may have allowed a lower action to be achieved.

Any Squier telecaster fitted with wide range humbuckers is a bit of a cheat because underneath the wide range humbucker cover is a standard humbucker so you won't get close to the true sound of wide range humbuckers.

As others have mentioned there are plenty of pickup makers who make wide range humbuckers very close to the original design.

The real wide range humbucker sound is bright and has good string separation. They can rock as hard as you like but can also do some tele twang and clean jangly sounds as well.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 12-09-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
Yes I love the deluxe as well and have considered buying one but...

Until recently the only Squier Tele Deluxe with 2 wide range pickups was the Indonesian made Vintage Modified model. This had a 4 screw neck plate but had a neck radius of 12 inches.

The current model now on sale is an Indonesian made Classic Vibe with a 9.5 inch neck radius. I would have preferred the 12 inch radius just so it feels different from most Teles and may have allowed a lower action to be achieved.

Any Squier telecaster fitted with wide range humbuckers is a bit of a cheat because underneath the wide range humbucker cover is a standard humbucker so you won't get close to the true sound of wide range humbuckers.

As others have mentioned there are plenty of pickup makers who make wide range humbuckers very close to the original design.

The real wide range humbucker sound is bright and has good string separation. They can rock as hard as you like but can also do some tele twang and clean jangly sounds as well.
Thanks for this info. The particular guitar I’ve noticed in shop is the Indonesian made Vintage Modified*, with the wide range humbucker pickups which could be just regular humbucker pups as you suggest. I’ve found I like the 12” radius neck Squier produces, at least on the JT Tele I have. Finish is impeccable on that guitar which includes satin finish neck (not bare but extremely light gloss) - the VM I’ve been looking at has a high quality maple one piece neck - I find for low volume at home playing through a very bright amp I get good chunky thick chords with humbuckers.

*has since sold, now in stock is the Classic Vibe replacement

Last edited by Jaden; 12-09-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Can't say exactly what you're looking at.

I own a Squier Tele Deluxe from the first decade of this century. At the time there were two models: one with 2 regular humbuckers and one with two "Duncan Designed" P90s. I think they both sold for a street price of under $300 new back then, sometimes less when on sale or with coupon.

I have the P90 version.

Mine is heavy for a Tele, but it has a neck I like quite a bit. Not thin and skinny like some Squier Telecasters. I almost which I bought a second one and just used the neck on some other Tele. Mine has a light-colored thin satin finish on the neck, which has become more discolored by fingers than most maple necks that I've had.

The Duncan Designed P90s are really nice. This was my first P90 guitar and it started my love affair with them.

The four pickup controls are a plus/minus thing. I love the ability to use the single volume and tone controls with any/all pickups and I often do volume swells or false slow tremolo effects with the volume know or fake wah-wah with the tone control. On the other hand (as they are out of reach from the picking hand while picking) you can individually control and mix the pickups with the 4 knobs.
Interesting to know. I wonder what the neck radius is on your example. The Squier JT Deluxe is impressive for its wide flat(ter) still noticeably arc-ed fretboard with true 11/16” nut - I don’t know the neck taper* (if there is such a spec banded about for electric guitars), but the neck carve is a phenomenal shallow c & comfortable, never have seen or felt anything like it on an acoustic guitar.

* 2-1/4” string spacing at the bridge + wide flat-er fretboard = good for acoustic guitar type fingerpicking

Last edited by Jaden; 12-10-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Interesting to know. I wonder what the neck radius is on your example. The Squier JT Deluxe is impressive for its wide flat(ter) still noticeably arc-ed fretboard with true 11/16” nut - I don’t know the neck taper (if there is such a spec banded about for electric guitars), but the neck carve is a phenomenal shallow c & comfortable, never have seen or felt anything like it on an acoustic guitar.
I should check sometime when I'm at my studio. It's flatish radius-wise, certainly not a vintage 7.25" radius, might be flatter than modern Fender too. I used to have some plastic radius gauges, but I don't know if I can find them.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 12-09-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
there's a bunch of used ones right now on reverb for considerably less and you can save enough money to almost pay for the replacement pickups...

https://reverb.com/p/squier-vintage-...ecaster-deluxe
Old 12-09-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
there's a bunch of used ones right now on reverb for considerably less and you can save enough money to almost pay for the replacement pickups...

https://reverb.com/p/squier-vintage-...ecaster-deluxe
I think the reduced prices are worth it for the neck and fretboard alone “good wood” - as a platform for upgrading the electronics.

My interest in these is solely as a hobbyist at home use/ low volume - I have little doubt at stage volume the shortcomings of these (stock) would be readily apparent, but the neck radius and humbuckers with a naturally bright amplifier will allow for good playability and note definition for fingerpicking.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
I think the reduced prices are worth it for the neck and fretboard alone “good wood” - as a platform for upgrading the electronics.

My interest in these is solely as a hobbyist at home use/ low volume - I have little doubt at stage volume the shortcomings of these (stock) would be readily apparent, but the neck radius and humbuckers with a naturally bright amplifier will allow for good playability and note definition for fingerpicking.
I think if you like how the guitar sounds as it is with the factory pickups you should follow your instinct.

If you search youtube for "james ryan creamery wide range humbucker" there are quite a few videos where James demos his tele deluxe with both clean and dirty tones, it might give you an idea of what the wide range pickups sound like.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 12-10-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
I think if you like how the guitar sounds as it is with the factory pickups you should follow your instinct.

If you search youtube for "james ryan creamery wide range humbucker" there are quite a few videos where James demos his tele deluxe with both clean and dirty tones, it might give you an idea of what the wide range pickups sound like.
As long as the hardware on the guitar is working as it should, I generally won’t swap out the stock pickups, allowing the guitar’s character to sit, then try it with a variety of amps, which often reveals a good match. On the (beater) JT Tele Deluxe, the BJIII is a naturally good combination - clear definition, no mud. The Squier VM/ now CV Deluxe will stay stock if it comes home with me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars