The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-23-2021, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
That song is a real classic and one that I too love to cover.

Well done, Glenn!
Ah, cool!

I'm so glad you know and enjoy playing this song! Then you know a lot about my process as I went through this to build a multi-track version of this song.

I was thinking about how I felt listening to this song at 17 years old back in 1965 and how much I loved the sound from the Byrds. Here we are 56 years later, and I have at my fingertips in my studio the technology to build a complete clone of this song very much as was recorded by the Byrds yet all by myself. And then, who could have imagined that I could share a video of this result with an online group of guitar enthusiasts?

Thanks 6L6! I really appreciate your watching and commenting!

And you know, my amp, a Fender Blues DeVille 410, uses 6L6 tubes in the power amp stage. Great forum name you have!

Be well!

- Glenn
Old 01-23-2021, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Sounds Select Guitars View Post
Put a big smile on my face, Glenn! Great playing and singing as always, and I love the artwork. Are you playing drums as well? Great rendition of this classic!
Hi Larry,

Wonderful to hear from you!

The artwork came off the Internet. I did a search of psychodelic artwork in the public domain and found some photos. The first background picture is actually a photo of a virus!!! I'm not sure which virus it is, but I thought the photo was stunningly beautiful!

I am not playing drums. I wish I were a decent drummer, but I am not. And even if I were, I don't have the space, the microphones, or the drums. My first try on this song I used Band In A Box and used it as a plugin for my DAW, which is Cubase. This gave me a quick way to see what a multi-track version of this song would sound like. At first I was pretty enthusiastic about this approach, but in the end, though, I was very unhappy with the sound of the "real" drums from Band in a Box. Also, the bass was nothing close to the original, so I was going to have to do that over, anyway.

So I scrapped that version and started over. I made my own drum track using ToonTrack's "Easy Drummer," which also works as a plugin in Cubase. The samples in Easy Drummer are really good, the result of years of work and recordings, and the program has tons of drum patterns and fills that can be edited that were played by real drummers. I found a pattern and a group of fills that worked very well and then put together the program for the song.

So, in a sense, the drums were played by a real drummer, just not me.

Thanks for listening and taking time to comment, Larry! I hope you are doing well and that your business is also humming along for you!

Take care!

- Glenn
Old 01-23-2021, 02:24 PM

Great job, Glenn! I love that song both by the Byrds, Petty and now you! I'm not sure I knew you had a 12 string Rick. Very cool. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
Great job, Glenn! I love that song both by the Byrds, Petty and now you! I'm not sure I knew you had a 12 string Rick. Very cool. Thanks for posting.
Hi Larry!

Thanks for watching and for your thoughts and comments! I'm glad you felt this cover came out okay!

Yes, I have had a Rickenbacker 360-12 for a fair number of years. It's probably 20 years old, but I have not had an opportunity to use it as much as I would have liked. So it was fun to pull it out and use it here! Every time I do use it, I have to re-orient myself to the ultra-narrow 1 5/8" nut width on this guitar! Fortunately, I don't have super-thick fingers, so I am able to play it but it's still a challenge. I don't know what they were thinking when they did this!

I hope all is well for you! Take care!

- Glenn

PS: Here are a few other videos where I used this Ric 360-12.

See about 1:00 time for the 12-string and also 1:40 for the bridge...

See about time 1:48 for 12-string solo...

The Ric 12-string is used throughout this song...
Old 01-23-2021, 06:15 PM

Great job Glenn. I enjoyed it very much and the production is flawless.
Thanks for sharing your talents.

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/user/1953MrEd
Old 01-23-2021, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEd View Post
Great job Glenn. I enjoyed it very much and the production is flawless.
Thanks for sharing your talents.

Mike
Thank you Mike!

I appreciate your kind words of encouragement! Thanks for taking time to watch, comment, and provide support!

I hope all is well for you and your family! Take care!

- Glenn
Old 01-24-2021, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for those few minutes in your time machine. We were very fortunate to live during that very rich period in popular music. Very well done and great fun. Dan
Old 01-24-2021, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedartop52 View Post
Thanks for those few minutes in your time machine. We were very fortunate to live during that very rich period in popular music. Very well done and great fun. Dan
Thank you Dan!

I'm glad you enjoyed this cover along with me.

We were very fortunate to live through our time of big changes and developments in popular music. Music was definitely a big part of the background of our time.

Thanks for taking time to listen and comment! I hope all is well for you! Take care!

- Glenn
Old 01-24-2021, 10:04 AM

I still remember when I figured out that that solo was just the same simple lick with minor variations in different positions up and down the fretboard, and a light bulb went off in my head: “cool things don’t have to be hard!”.

Nice job. The Rick sounds great, as do your vocals.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 01-24-2021, 10:45 AM

Hey Glenn,

Fantastic work, and I won’t even call out the ‘acoustic’ police on you here at AGF! That Rickenbacker sounded super and I loved your harmonies. Didn’t know (remember?) that this was originally a Byrd’s tune; I love the Petty (and now your) version(s).

Great job as always and thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 01-24-2021, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
I still remember when I figured out that that solo was just the same simple lick with minor variations in different positions up and down the fretboard, and a light bulb went off in my head: “cool things don’t have to be hard!”.

Nice job. The Rick sounds great, as do your vocals.
Thank you nightchef!

I appreciate your kind words and your insights!

Regarding the solo parts, yes, I had the same insights over this last week realizing just what you discovered! I remember feeling some sense of relief that this solo would not be all that difficult!

I hope all is well for you! Be well!

- Glenn
Old 01-24-2021, 04:42 PM

Another gem Glenn. The Ric sounds great with that Byrds jangle.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 01-24-2021, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbitterdave View Post
Hey Glenn,

Fantastic work, and I won’t even call out the ‘acoustic’ police on you here at AGF! That Rickenbacker sounded super and I loved your harmonies. Didn’t know (remember?) that this was originally a Byrd’s tune; I love the Petty (and now your) version(s).

Great job as always and thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Dave
Thank you Dave!

Thanks for offering your thoughts here!

Regarding the original Byrds' version of this song, you'd probably have to be closer to my age to remember this. In fact, if you didn't buy the Byrds' first album, "Mr. Tambourine Man," it would be very easy to miss this original version. Tom Petty's cover got a lot more attention from the record buying public.

I'm glad you thought this came out well. I, too, really like the sound of a Ric 12-string! Regarding the acoustic police, the electric sub-forum here on the AGF is quite active, so I thought folks here would be okay with an electric version, as were those done by the Byrds and Tom Petty.

I hope all is well for you and your family Dave! Be well!

- Glenn
Old 01-24-2021, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
Another gem Glenn. The Ric sounds great with that Byrds jangle.
Thank you Started!

I always appreciate your comments! I'm gratified to read that you thought this came out well! And yeah, the Ric 12-string really has quite a sound, especially two of them doubled on the recording.

It was a fun song to work out! Thanks for taking time to comment and lend support!

I hope all is well for you and your family! Stay safe!

- Glenn
Old 01-24-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Thank you Dave!

Thanks for offering your thoughts here!

Regarding the original Byrds' version of this song, you'd probably have to be closer to my age to remember this. In fact, if you didn't buy the Byrds' first album, "Mr. Tambourine Man," it would be very easy to miss this original version. Tom Petty's cover got a lot more attention from the record buying public.

I'm glad you thought this came out well. I, too, really like the sound of a Ric 12-string! Regarding the acoustic police, the electric sub-forum here on the AGF is quite active, so I thought folks here would be okay with an electric version, as were those done by the Byrds and Tom Petty.

I hope all is well for you and your family Dave! Be well!

- Glenn

Hi Glenn - the Acoustic Police comment was entirely tongue in cheek. Loved your performance.

Cheers

Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell