The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-01-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
I created, recorded, and uploaded this piece about a year ago, right about when the trees were changing color and all was beautiful outdoors, but also right before the beautiful plants in my yard were dying, and trees were going brown and bare for the winter (hence the overly earnest and nerdy name I gave the piece!).

That is a lovely piece, and your guitar sounds so pretty! That is one sweet 12 string!

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 10-02-2014, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
That is a lovely piece, and your guitar sounds so pretty! That is one sweet 12 string!
Thanks.

And it is indeed a lovely guitar.

It is a Goodall jumbo 12 string (Sitka/rosewood). I had fallen in love with a Goodall grand concert 12 string in a local shop, but it was too expensive for me to seriously consider. I found this one for sale for a good price online at Dave's Guitar shop and since you don't encounter Goodall 12 strings all that often, and since Goodall prices have been skyrocketing, I decided to do something I never thought I'd do - I bought a guitar I had never played and had it shipped. It was previously owned by a collector, who, as far as I could tell, had basically never played it.

I still kind of think the grand concert was a better guitar, but this one, being a jumbo, has a depth of sound that is wonderful. And, a total surprise for me when I got it was how pretty the heavily silked and figured Sitka top is (I never realized a spruce top could sparkle like this).

If you have not done so otherwise, take a look at the description of the playing technique used here that I have on the YouTube page.

On second thought, I'll copy and paste:
A few words about playing technique in this piece: One thing that happens a lot in this piece (and in most of my 12 string playing), is the selective playing of single strings (not both strings in a pair), typically the lower-pitched string in a string pair. This is done by playing with good nails, and picking using upstrokes of the index, middle, and ring fingers (this is not all that hard to do). You can hear a lot of this if you listen for it. This gives a cleaner sound for some parts of the piece.

The other thing I do here, which I think is one of the coolest things about the capabilities of 12 string guitars, is jump up an octave on a given string, without moving my left hand, by switching from an upstroke (that plays the lower pitched string) to a downstroke. With a careful downstroke with the back of my fingernail I can emphasize the higher pitched string in a pair. You can hear this at about the 15 second point (and elsewhere in the piece as well) - this is how that high note at 0:15 is played (on the third string pair, fretted at the 7th fret - this is DADGAD tuning by the way). Or, with a stronger downstroke with the back of the nail you can get the very strong full sound of both strings in the pair at once (I don't do that in this piece).

The ability to do these kinds of things, and also the ability to sort of turn off the 12 string sound sometimes by altering picking technique (and then turn it back on for dramatic effect) are some of the things I find really cool about 12 string guitars!
Old 10-02-2014, 05:04 AM

The only Halloween song I know!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-02-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:

The other thing I do here, which I think is one of the coolest things about the capabilities of 12 string guitars, is jump up an octave on a given string, without moving my left hand, by switching from an upstroke (that plays the lower pitched string) to a downstroke. With a careful downstroke with the back of my fingernail I can emphasize the higher pitched string in a pair. You can hear this at about the 15 second point (and elsewhere in the piece as well) - this is how that high note at 0:15 is played (on the third string pair, fretted at the 7th fret - this is DADGAD tuning by the way). Or, with a stronger downstroke with the back of the nail you can get the very strong full sound of both strings in the pair at once (I don't do that in this piece).

[/INDENT]
I did hear that! I thought, man, he is all over that neck! Great technique!

My website:

Old 10-02-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
The only Halloween song I know!

Nice job, Mike!

My website:

Old 10-02-2014, 09:26 AM

Old 10-02-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I did hear that! I thought, man, he is all over that neck! Great technique!
That piece does make use of the neck pretty fully (up to the 16th fret or so if I recall correctly - not that hard to play, even though I don't have a cutaway), though those full octave jumps are done, as I described, by selectively playing (or selectively emphasizing) the high octave string without moving the left hand.

A lot of times the key to playing things nice and smoothly (or the key to being able to play some passages at all) is playing smarter rather than, for example, using dramatic acrobatics (a lesson one learns on 5-string banjo - efficient right hand fingerings are SO important on banjo, without which the rapid, smooth runs of notes characteristic of some banjo styles would not be possible). I'm not sure there would be any good way to play the melody line in this piece smoothly (together with the rest of what is going on with bass notes and such in the arrangement) without this right hand technique.

Last edited by wcap; 10-02-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceGMusic View Post
Cool stuff. That is a style of playing I haven't explored. It seems like it is pretty fun to play.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Wow, that is such a fantastic song! Did you write that?
Thanks for the kind words! Yes, I wrote it a few years ago.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
[/YOUTUBE]
Okay. Did you write this? I've never heard it before, which is not unusual I'm discovering. I picture kids around 5 years old riveted to this. I like it.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariaS View Post
Great
Well then, I'll add something too
This is a piece by contemporary guitarist/composer Jeremy Choi, title track from his second album called "At the Door".
The title doesn't have any particular connection with autumn, but for me this is definitely an autumn song. Maybe because I first heard it in autumn, maybe because being "at the door" means being about to leave and this season has a feeling of leaving things behind and often symbolizes things coming to an end, but I completely fell in love with this a bit sad and beautiful nostalgic melody and it connected with the theme of autumn in my head forever.

The album was released in October, by the way
P.S. It was my very first video, so the quality isn't perfect, sorry for this...
Nicely played and the guitar is so piano-like.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I created, recorded, and uploaded this piece about a year ago, right about when the trees were changing color and all was beautiful outdoors, but also right before the beautiful plants in my yard were dying, and trees were going brown and bare for the winter (hence the overly earnest and nerdy name I gave the piece!).

Sweet tune.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:28 PM

Here's one with a Halloween theme.

My website:

Old 10-02-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariaS View Post
Great
Well then, I'll add something too
This is a piece by contemporary guitarist/composer Jeremy Choi, title track from his second album called "At the Door".
The title doesn't have any particular connection with autumn, but for me this is definitely an autumn song. Maybe because I first heard it in autumn, maybe because being "at the door" means being about to leave and this season has a feeling of leaving things behind and often symbolizes things coming to an end, but I completely fell in love with this a bit sad and beautiful nostalgic melody and it connected with the theme of autumn in my head forever.

The album was released in October, by the way
P.S. It was my very first video, so the quality isn't perfect, sorry for this...
That was a beautiful piece! I think it fits the Fall mood well.

My website:

Old 10-03-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Nice job, Mike!
Thanks! I just realized (when going through my lyrics book last night) that I added another Halloween song to my list last year - Donovan's Season of the Witch - but I don't have a recording/video of it.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell