The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-16-2011, 04:46 PM

Default So How Am I Gonna Explain This Song To My Wife??

An Original Song I wrote several years ago. In fact the first verse of this dates back to 1977. I was sitting in my Spanish class in high school and I wrote down "Why are you always on my mind driving me insane? How could I ever be so blind as not to see the game that you're playing with my mind, how could I be so blind?" I showed the words to a girl I sat next to who liked me but she had a boyfriend so we never dated. Song is not about her though.

I've had this music since about 1976 but never put words to it. So I used that old verse I wrote so long ago (although I should have changed it to "that I'm playing with my mind" because of course the meaning is memories and how they play over in your mind). The rest of the verses were written about 5 years ago and recorded back then. That original version was very rough and was too fast in tempo so I recorded this follow up in May 2009 to try and get the right tempo and feel.

Of course this song is dedicated to my first Love, the sweetest girl I have ever known. I was a lucky boy back then. The song deals with the notion that I still care for her deeply and remember her fondly and wonders about getting back together but then realizes that too many years and changes have occurred and this could never happen. We all move beyond our first Love but the first Love always stays with you.

The end of the song was a complete unplanned accident in the mixing. The harmonies were offset out of sync and as I listened back I liked the ending so I kept them out of sync that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4CIMPuYjB4
Old 06-16-2011, 05:05 PM

First of all, COOL song. Love your Neil Young vibe! Love the way you pick and strum!
I think you could take an easy way and just say "Honey it's just a song about a guy in THAT position" which frankly is from where the majority of my songs emanate, or you could say that this song was started by a young man with romantic notions many years ago, and was finished by an mature adult man who knows exactly where he is, and what he has, but who wanted to write a song that people could relate to. Or you could hope she ignores the specifics of your songs like my wife does!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 06-16-2011, 05:50 PM
AGF Administrator

This is excellent. I could sense the longing and the memories dripping from every word and note in this song. Wonderful and bittersweet.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:24 PM
Whippersnapper

I guess I'm lucky in that my first love is my wife! First, last, and only girl I've ever had. I supposed that's called efficient! But perhaps that's also why I don't write many songs....

Nice song, man. As Ranger said, Neil Young is totally flowing out of this one! Good stuff. Thanks for sharing with us!

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 06-16-2011, 09:30 PM

Liked it a bunch....but this is definitely why I write instrumentals

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 06-16-2011, 09:49 PM

Wow.That sent chills down my spine. This is Excellent...Nice folk feel to it.
S.Stills and N.Young come to mind.Thanks for posting it. Solo

Mike Solo
Old 06-17-2011, 01:00 PM

Nice job. Really like the guitar accompaniment. It sounds like a Neil Young song because the guitar helps bring out that kind of tension with the vocal. I enjoyed the song a lot.

Hoffman L-00 w JJB
Kronbauer TDK w K&K
Martin OM-35 w K&K
Gibsons: J-150 w Fishman, CL-35 w JJB, Hummingbird w JJB, Les Paul Custom
Crafter TM-035 w JJB
Recording King ROS-647 w JJB
Voyage-Air OM-04, Washburn Red Rocker
Amps: Crate 2x12, Peaveys, LoudBox Artist
Pickups: JJB & K&K Mini
Callaway Big Bertha Clubs

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell