The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-12-2011, 01:10 PM

Danno and Kyle, thanks so much. But while you were writing those nice things, I was busy reworking the song. It is up one fret, to the fifth fret. Basically, I moved the guitar parts up a step on the recorder, which also upped the tempo a bit. Then I re sang all the parts. My voice is more comfortable in a little higher register. I also liked the tempo up a little. I think the old version was draggy and too low for me. So please, y'all.. really let me know what you think! I am more pleased with this one. Here's the new link in case you don't want to scroll all the way back to the top of this thing, thereby spraigning your scrolling fingers.

http://soundcloud.com/tony-from-tuls...isiting-song-2

Across the Universe
Singing Land
Dear Prudence
Jolene

So you're telling me there's a chance....yyyyYYEEEAAAH!! ~Lloyd Christmas
Old 06-12-2011, 02:13 PM

I like the new version.

Mind you, I also liked the previous version.

I always think that a song should be sung in the highest key which the singer's voice will accommodate, and your voice certainly accommodates the key of F in this song. (It is F isn't it ? ..... )
Old 06-12-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
I like the new version.

Mind you, I also liked the previous version.

I always think that a song should be sung in the highest key which the singer's voice will accommodate, and your voice certainly accommodates the key of F in this song. (It is F isn't it ? ..... )
It IS in the key of F right now. Give me and hour or two and it may end up in the key of Z Major. Thanks for listening,.....AGAIN!

Across the Universe
Singing Land
Dear Prudence
Jolene

Old 06-12-2011, 03:12 PM

QUITE beautiful Tony! Wonderful playing, and the ebbing and flowing of the vocals is superb!!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 06-12-2011, 03:56 PM

Did you first lay down one track and then accompany yourself again with vocal and guitar, etc.? I hear the stereo effect with the different notes coming at me differently in each ear and was wondering how it was recorded.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:05 PM

absolutely superb!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2011, 04:31 PM

This will make some people want to give up, and others to try harder. I am in the latter category. Thanks for bringing us along.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony from Tulsa View Post
Its one of my all time favorite songs and I didn't really do it justice, but oh well. I've been mired in mixing a friend's cd for WEEKS now, and I just woke up and decided to do something for myself today. It's Kate Rusby's arrangement of "Night Visiting Song". This genre of music is a challenge for me both vocally and on the guitar. I used my trusty jumbo Epiphone for this one. Still waiting for my new Taylor GSK to arrive. Honest opinions and critiscism please! I can take it.

*RED ALERT* This just in- I couldn't stand it anymore, so I raised it up one fret, and re sang the vocals. PLEASE let me know if it is any better! Here's the new link:
http://soundcloud.com/tony-from-tuls...isiting-song-2

Here's the not so good old link
http://soundcloud.com/tony-from-tuls...-visiting-song

I posted earlier on the first song and thought you did a great job. But, i will tell you Tony the Latest version you did, was a lot better and sounded Excellent. Thanks for sharing. Michael solo

Mike Solo
Old 06-12-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Did you first lay down one track and then accompany yourself again with vocal and guitar, etc.? I hear the stereo effect with the different notes coming at me differently in each ear and was wondering how it was recorded.
Yep. There are three guitar tracks on this one. One panned left, a (sort of) doubled part panned right, and a part capo'd on the 900th fret doing a lot of the higher stuff up the middle. Also, two vocal parts, both up the middle. Listening back now, I got the harmony part too loud throughout most of this, so look for version 3.0 soon, haha!

Across the Universe
Singing Land
Dear Prudence
Jolene

Old 06-12-2011, 08:19 PM

Tony, Fantastic performances on this piece. You peeked my interest on that tuning - sounds like fun. Harmony rocks! Loved it all really.

Mark
Old 06-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Whippersnapper

Tony, the newer version "capo'ed" up a whole step does sound better. The first was not bad by any means, but as you said, the latest version was more in your range. I could tell you were more comfortable singing it, and that added relaxation translated into a nice boost to an already super performance. Good stuff dude!

Thanks for sharing the process!

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 06-13-2011, 04:59 AM

Hi Tony, this is great stuff and has got me onto Kate Rusby. Your playing and singing are absolutely excellent and very pleasing to the ear. I would be the first to say that self-doubt is both a bane and a powerful weapon for a great musician, but you have to listen to the people giving you praise every once in a while. Anyway, I can't fault it at all. Good job.

My very minimal guitar collection -

Tanglewood TSM 2
Guild GAD 30
Old 06-13-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themachinist View Post
Hi Tony, this is great stuff and has got me onto Kate Rusby. Your playing and singing are absolutely excellent and very pleasing to the ear. I would be the first to say that self-doubt is both a bane and a powerful weapon for a great musician, but you have to listen to the people giving you praise every once in a while. Anyway, I can't fault it at all. Good job.
Thank you indeed. Good advice.

Across the Universe
Singing Land
Dear Prudence
Jolene

Old 06-13-2011, 02:13 PM

I like both versions but version two is perfection, my man!
Old 06-13-2011, 03:11 PM

Tony,

Kate Rusby's work is very special to me as it is her stuff that got me interested in folk music and from there fingerstyle acoustic guitar - setting me on a whole new adventure.

Your rendition of this song is very fine indeed. Well Done.

Regards,
Barnsy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell