The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-11-2011, 05:42 PM

Default *CELTIC ALERT* NIght Visiting Song. A Kate Rusby arrangement. NEW AND IMPROVED!!

Its one of my all time favorite songs and I didn't really do it justice, but oh well. I've been mired in mixing a friend's cd for WEEKS now, and I just woke up and decided to do something for myself today. It's Kate Rusby's arrangement of "Night Visiting Song". This genre of music is a challenge for me both vocally and on the guitar. I used my trusty jumbo Epiphone for this one. Still waiting for my new Taylor GSK to arrive. Honest opinions and critiscism please! I can take it.

*RED ALERT* This just in- I couldn't stand it anymore, so I raised it up one fret, and re sang the vocals. PLEASE let me know if it is any better! Here's the new link:
http://soundcloud.com/tony-from-tuls...isiting-song-2

*OLD LINK REMOVED DUE TO HORRIDNESS OF RECORDING*

Across the Universe
Singing Land
Dear Prudence
Jolene

So you're telling me there's a chance....yyyyYYEEEAAAH!! ~Lloyd Christmas

Last edited by Tony from Tulsa; 06-13-2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Reworked the song
Old 06-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Tony,
This was amazing. I was commenting on Kate over on the general info side earlier, how cool now to hear you play her cuz she is awesome. Brother you could sing the phonebook and I would pay to see you! If you call that not your best vocals, dude you sing with such a beautiful tone! I really love everything about this from voice to harmony to the very lovely tone of your Epi. I especially like your fingerpicking interlude around 3:26. You make beautiful music Tony, such an artist. Well done,
noledog
Old 06-11-2011, 06:06 PM

Hello Tony . . . I really enjoyed listening to this song. I'm not familiar with the song, but thought you delivered a beautiful vocal performance. And I liked the guitar as well.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 06-11-2011, 06:13 PM

Very nice version Tony, I thought you did this song justice and the picking and playing was right on! cool...Thanks for sharing..Solo

Mike Solo
Old 06-11-2011, 06:21 PM

Noledog, you are too kind. I mean, literally, you are being too kind. You should be saying something like "The vocals are too low for you" or "Your voice is not well suited for this type of music" or even "You suck". But I'll take it, bro.
Solo, thanks, man. How's that new 12er working out for you?
Steve, thanks man. Check out Kate Rusby. Maybe "The unquiet grave" or "Who Will Sing Me Lullabies"

Across the Universe
Singing Land
Dear Prudence
Jolene

Old 06-11-2011, 06:30 PM

Tony,

I loved it.

Reed
1957 Gretsch 6186
1996 Alvarez 2531 (nylon)
1987 American Standard Strat
1990 Epiphone Sheraton II
Old 06-11-2011, 07:19 PM

Wonderful, simply wonderful. Thanks for this gift. John Doyle does this as "The Cocks Are Crowing" on his Wayward Son album -- I like your arrangement better!!
Old 06-11-2011, 07:36 PM

When the dawn clouds they did divide. The lyrics paint a sweet picture no wonder you like this piece Tony. There are some very interesting chord voicings backing up this song that make it very interesting to listen to. I can imagine a really nice recorder solo in there somewhere. One thing I really like about AGF is the wonderful variety of music found here. I really enjoyed this song.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double G View Post
When the dawn clouds they did divide. The lyrics paint a sweet picture no wonder you like this piece Tony. There are some very interesting chord voicings backing up this song that make it very interesting to listen to. I can imagine a really nice recorder solo in there somewhere. One thing I really like about AGF is the wonderful variety of music found here. I really enjoyed this song.
Thanks Gary. The tuning is CGCGCE capo 4th fret. Most of the Celtic stuff I'm doing now is in that tuning. That tuning is awesome. Almost 100% of Dougie MacLean's songs are in this tuning. It is a lot of fun.

Across the Universe
Singing Land
Dear Prudence
Jolene

Last edited by Tony from Tulsa; 06-12-2011 at 07:36 AM. Reason: I don't even know my own tuning. Wow.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Wonderful, simply wonderful. Thanks for this gift. John Doyle does this as "The Cocks Are Crowing" on his Wayward Son album -- I like your arrangement better!!
Thank you, sir. That's humbling, indeed. Its actually Kate Rusby's arrangement, but I tweaked it a bit. Thanks for the kind words.

Across the Universe
Singing Land
Dear Prudence
Jolene

Old 06-12-2011, 03:03 AM
happiness

Great job, Tony! You really have this style nailed, and honestly, it suits your voice. I wish I could think of something constructive to say other than just have confidence in the way you sing it, because you have a lovely character in your voice, and I'd love to be in the audience when you perform it

Fliss
Old 06-12-2011, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony from Tulsa View Post
Thanks Gary. The tuning is GCGCGE capo 4th fret. Most of the Celtic stuff I'm doing now is in that tuning. That tuning is awesome. Almost 100% of Dougie MacLean's songs are in this tuning. It is a lot of fun.
That is a really good version, Tony, you have a great voice.

Slight typo in your post above, I know you meant to say CGCGCE rather than GCGCGE. Open C is by far my favourite tuning as well.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
That is a really good version, Tony, you have a great voice.

Slight typo in your post above, I know you meant to say CGCGCE rather than GCGCGE. Open C is by far my favourite tuning as well.
YES!! You are right. I knew my spelling has been questionable of late, but that's a pretty important one to miss! Thanks for clearing that up.

Across the Universe
Singing Land
Dear Prudence
Jolene

Old 06-12-2011, 08:19 AM

Tony,
I only wish my good stuff came out as well as your 'worst' stuff. Really nice job on this one. Glad to see you posting again. I always look forward to your covers.

Danno
Old 06-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Whippersnapper

Wow, Tony! You put together a fantastic song here. The guitar parts and vocals are really well done. I know you don't think the vocals are that good, but you're wrong! Well done!

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell