The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-02-2011, 08:18 PM

Default Bruno Mars Cover

Looks like summer classes will be going fast and furious so this may be it for a while. I started with the guitars a month or two back but the vocals were done just last week or so. Vocal wise, this is the exact opposite of my Rainy Days cover.

"Nothing On You."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=248672
Old 06-02-2011, 09:44 PM

Insane good vocals on this track !!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 PM

holy guacamole! mannn you are the bomb! what i would give to sing like this even for a day!

Rainy Days rained and this rocked! true, true we could be chasing the babes but they got nothing on HER, ain't there?!! hahaha hope you share this cover with her also, man, i would if i could

awesome awesome, top to bottom!

Gordon
Old 06-02-2011, 10:49 PM

I agree with other posts - great vocal control, nice accompaniment.

Hoffman L-00 w JJB
Kronbauer TDK w K&K
Martin OM-35 w K&K
Gibsons: J-150 w Fishman, CL-35 w JJB, Hummingbird w JJB, Les Paul Custom
Crafter TM-035 w JJB
Recording King ROS-647 w JJB
Voyage-Air OM-04, Washburn Red Rocker
Amps: Crate 2x12, Peaveys, LoudBox Artist
Pickups: JJB & K&K Mini
Callaway Big Bertha Clubs
Old 06-03-2011, 03:59 AM

YAHTZEE! So why don't you make a living in music????????

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 06-03-2011, 05:29 AM

Wow what a voice. Nice harmonies too. One of the better performances I've heard on this forum. Enjoyed it, and thanks for posting and sharing here.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:15 AM

Thanks so much guys. I wish I did make my living doing music but I am thankful that I can at least pursue it as a hobby.

I won't be able to record for a while so thanks all for listening.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:16 AM

That was incredible.

I've never heard the song before, but I'm a closet Mars fan.

I agree with everyone else. Your voice is phenomenal.

I thought the subtle harmonies were the icing on the cake. Perfectly done.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 06-03-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Looks like summer classes will be going fast and furious so this may be it for a while. I started with the guitars a month or two back but the vocals were done just last week or so. Vocal wise, this is the exact opposite of my Rainy Days cover.

"Nothing On You."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=248672
I am not exaggerating when I say you have an Amazing voice and I really enjoy the clarity of the guitar in your recordings. Would you mind sharing your technique mic'ing up the guitar, and what your setup is?
Old 06-03-2011, 08:03 AM

Ernie,

Magnificent! Recording quality is very good, and your voice is absolutely pro quality. If you'e going to do covers, this is the way to do it!!

Home run my friend, make that a Grand Slam...........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 06-03-2011, 09:10 AM

Thanks again friends. So very cool and reassuring to hear that I did not waste all that time after all.

Last edited by Sage97; 06-03-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrkstr View Post
I am not exaggerating when I say you have an Amazing voice and I really enjoy the clarity of the guitar in your recordings. Would you mind sharing your technique mic'ing up the guitar, and what your setup is?
Alex,

Thanks very much for your kind words.

My set up is a Rode NTK for vocals and a matched pair of Studio Project C4s with omni caps for guitars. They're definitely budget gear but they seem to work well for me. I've had the C4s for 7 maybe 8 years and they appear to be slowly dying on me. I just sent them back to Studio Projects for service but I am also looking at replacing them. I have not decided yet but I am slowly narrowing things down to some Neumanns or Pelusos.

I typically have one mic towards the bridge and the other towards the 12 fret or so. I don't really have a micing strategy, I just move around untl it sounds good through the headphones which are inexpensive Sennheisers. Can't remember what model but they cost me less than $100. After I find the spot, I try my best not to move and play.

These mics go through my Apogee Duet and into my iMac using Gargeband. The vocal tracks and the stereo guitar tracks get a little touch of reverb and delay but that's it.

I do have some great guitars. I think I used my Stehr Auditorium on this one and since it is a brighter sounding guitar (Braz and redwood combo), I clipped my nails a little lower to tame the zing. Or if I use my Woolson GA which has more of a darker voice, I let my nails grow out a bit or use a a medium gauge pick to get that sparkle. Or when I strum either one of my Goodalls for example, I use a thinner pick and use the rounded end. Don't know if this info helps - they seem to help with my sound.

The clean sound maybe coming from the room treatment. I built my house and had this room with double sheetrocks on all 4 walls and placed inespensive Auralex bass traps and absorbers. I also hang my guitars on walls and have them act as diffusers. Not really sure if these contribute all that much but I think it helps some. I know that the room sounds great as soon as I enter it.

Sorry for the long answer but I hope that helps.

Last edited by Sage97; 06-03-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:30 AM

Wow, thank you so much for the detailed response! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm excited as I just switched from ProTools to GarageBand for the summer. Thanks again!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:40 AM

Oh and I use Event 20/20 monitors and have them positioned so they won't just shoot straight to a parallel wall. And again, there are guitars hung on the opposite wall and my mind says they act as diffusers. There are foam absorbers behind and above the monitors. I am not technically proficient on these matters but I think these help me listen and evaluate good soundwaves.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:45 AM

Very very good vocals!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell