The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-03-2002, 11:40 AM

Muriel Anderson can do some wonderful things with a classical guitar. She has a web site: www.murielanderson.com
Old 10-05-2002, 02:35 AM

]
Quote:
Muriel Anderson can do some wonderful things with a classical guitar.
Muriel Anderson can do some wonderful things with a classical guitar

Bill,
The only Muriel Anderson tune I have heard is one called Nola which is fantastic but sounds really challenging. Are all her tunes as good as this one? I know she does Tab/CD book on her tunes but are they possible for mere mortals?

Jez.
Old 10-05-2002, 02:43 AM

Talking

Les Regala,
I have never heard Time In A Bottle. Where could I find this?
Jez.
Old 10-05-2002, 04:51 PM

Jez,
I have not tried to play any of her tunes. I agree that Nola is very good. I happen to have the album that tune is on- Heartstrings. I also like her Irish Medley on that album- simple and very pretty. I have been learning to fingerpick Celtic tunes and maybe that is why I like that piece.
I do not know much about her except that she is a very pretty lady and can play the hell out of a guitar. She was the first lady to win the National Fingerpicking Championship.
Her web site has all seven of her cds for sale and lists a video entitled: "Adventures in Fingerstyle Guitar- Techniques and Arrangements of Muriel Anderson" 1997 Homespun Tapes. Maybe that could get you started.
Best wishes,
Bill
Old 10-06-2002, 04:53 AM

Smile

Bill,
Thanks for the advice on Muriel Anderson. I may well pick up the tuition book. You said you like celtic tunes. I don't know if you have checked out John Renbourn? He plays a whole bunch of this style of music. Catch you soon.
Jez.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:23 AM

Just so's you know, "Nola" was written by Felix Arndt (Anderson gives credit, of course) a long time ago, and it's very complicated. Unfortunately, I have mixed feelings about Anderson's recording; the arrangement is excellent, but I think she rushes it. This is not to say I don't like her work overall, because I've seen her perform, and she's a wonder to behold.

If you like Anderson's work, another guitarist to look up is Guy Van Duser, who has recorded a lot and also written tab books of his arrangements. He's known primarily for playing old pop standards and "stride guitar," and like Anderson, he works mainly with nylon strings. His arrangements of "Stars and Stripes Forever" and "Semper Fidelis" (both by Sousa) are not to be missed.

BTW, when I last saw Anderson, she played Sousa's "The Liberty Bell" (a.k.a., the Monty Python Theme) and could have ended the show with it. That pretty much linked her and Van Duser in my mind.

As for me, I haven't worked too much on specific fingerstyle solos. I'm more of a plain ol' Travis picker and have tended to leave the fancy stuff for others, but I've been getting an itch lately. I've been listening a lot lately to Robin Bullock, and he has a few really nice pieces I'd like to learn.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:23 PM

Chris,
Have you heard Stefan Grossman's version of Nola? I have seen a few people struggle with this and it is probably simpler than Muriel's version. I think I may have heard the original. Is it a piano piece? It all sounds great to me.
Jez.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JezintheUK
Les Regala,
I have never heard Time In A Bottle. Where could I find this?
Jez.
It's one of Croce's most popular songs; you can find it on his album Photographs and Memories. It's a wonderful song that he wrote for his (at the time) unborn son. Learn it, love it !

2002 614LTD
2001 810ce sans c
Old 10-09-2002, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JezintheUK
Chris,
Nola? I think I may have heard the original. Is it a piano piece? It all sounds great to me.
Jez.
It might be. My dad used to play it on the accordion.
Old 10-12-2002, 09:34 AM

What about real classic tunes? I am keen to learn Laurence Juber's arrangements of some of the classic Beatles numbers. They sound great!!! But I can't get hold of any tab yet. I have heard a few people play some real nice arrangements of very well known tunes. Do you guys have any of these in your repetoire? Please share.
Jez.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:02 AM

Default Nola

Hi jezinuk, you sound like you're after some cool tune I bet you heard at least one person play Nola better than Murials.
I've never heard Stefan Grossman play it but would love to. I play David Liabmans myself, it's not to hard but still sounds great. If you want to hear the original check out the composer lyricist data base and click on "Nola"

shttp://nfo.net/.CAL/ta4.html
Old 10-16-2002, 02:24 AM

With a name like Grossfingers I don't think it would take you long to get to grips with any of the Stefan Grossman tunes!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell