The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2021, 12:04 PM

Old 03-03-2021, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
Loaden? Louden? Lyurdeen? Some other way?

I'm good with Ibanez, but how about Fylde? Filed? Field? Some other way?

Thanks! I've been wondering for years, as one of my heroes, Richard Thompson, often plays a Lowden.

D.H.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hacw32hWV9Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZt6yWQW_kY
Old 03-03-2021, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
As another Illinois resident, I lived a large part of my life a stone's throw outside of Pekin, and my sister resides there now. There's no "Peking" in Illinois as far as I know.

I now live father south and have band mates from Chicken Bristle, and we all know how it is pronounced!
Hey we're only a few hours apart
Old 03-03-2021, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I grew up in Illinois, where they love their towns mispronounciated.

New Berlin is New Ber' lin.

Athens is Ay' thens.

Cairo is Cay' ro.

Peking is Pee' kin.

In Missouri there's Japan, Missouri pronounced Jay-Pin. And Gravois (the last syllable sounding like the “oy” in oy vey) and Chouteau (like “show-tow”)
Old 03-03-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
This is my understanding as well. The "r" does get pronounced as opposed to Booj - wah.

I remember traveling to visit some relatives in the Colorado Rockies up near the Collegiate range in a town named Buena Vista. (Just north of Salida, where Jeff Bamburg makes his wonderful guitars.) I discovered quickly that they pronounce it Bew' na Vista as opposed to the Spanish Boo-ay'na Vista. I was immediately busted as a tourist from California.

Best,
Jayne
Splitting hairs, maybe, but to a native speaker the V in Vista is more of a B than an Anglo V.

Couch Standards
Old 03-03-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
In Missouri there's Japan, Missouri pronounced Jay-Pin. And Gravois (the last syllable sounding like the “oy” in oy vey) and Chouteau (like “show-tow”)
Not that it's named after an Old World city, but Athol Massachusetts is a curious case. The locals insist that the pronunciation is very different from the anatomical point of egress, but I still wouldn't say it out loud in church. Maybe not even in Athol.

Couch Standards
Old 03-03-2021, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Splitting hairs, maybe, but to a native speaker the V in Vista is more of a B than an Anglo V.
Split away, Brent. Being originally from the Midwest, certain Spanish pronunciations are harder for me than others.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-03-2021, 05:14 PM

ex·pen·sive:
/ikˈspensiv/
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 03-03-2021, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

And - not directed to the OP - but for the record, on a similar note:

D'Addario is not DEE' AH Dar'eo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpEDUlUwDGE

Last edited by FingahPickah; 03-04-2021 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:31 PM

Here in the Philly area, we have Lancaster County, pronounced along the lines of linkustir... slight accent on the “link”, but mostly just a slurry of consonants.

And the Schuylkill River, pronounced skoo-kul. Always fun to hear a GPS robo-voice try to tackle that one.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:52 PM

In Britain, many people have problems with French names. For instance Hatch Beauchamp gets pronounced 'Hatch Beechum' and Beaulieu gets pronounced 'Bewley' and yet some people will refer to a boyfriend as a beau, but pronounce it 'bow' as in the weapon used to fire arrows - which is actually correct!!! But then neither the Brits nor the Yanks pronounce 'lieutenant' correctly.

I do see that no-one has mentioned that Wilbert Harrison and The Beatles visited Kanzis City, but no-one plays Ar-kan-zis Traveler in a session.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I grew up in Illinois, where they love their towns mispronounciated.

New Berlin is New Ber' lin.

Athens is Ay' thens.

Cairo is Cay' ro.

Peking is Pee' kin.
Don't forget Des Plaines! (Pronounced exactly as spelled: Dess Planes.)
Old 03-03-2021, 10:32 PM

Quote:

I've had issues with authority ever since. But even the idiot cops in Concord Massachusetts, who mistakenly threw me in jail overnight because they thought I had stolen my own car, didn't try to make me mispronounce my own name.
But should we mispronounce George's name?

In the past, working in multinational teams, I very much appreciated it when my colleagues put in the effort to at least try to pronounce my name right - instead of using what a French, Irish, Russian, Brazilian etc. would do based on their own spelling and pronunciation rules.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 03-03-2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
But should we mispronounce George's name?

In the past, working in multinational teams, I very much appreciated it when my colleagues put in the effort to at least try to pronounce my name right - instead of using what a French, Irish, Russian, Brazilian etc. would do based on their own spelling and pronunciation rules.
I work with a lady named Mechell, pronounced ME-shell. About 2/3 of our coworkers call her Michelle, including our boss. I take care to pronounce it correctly and she really appreciates it.

But then again, our boss doesn't care how things are pronounced. Our company was a division of Nokia for some years. Nokia is Finnish and is pronounced NO-kia (more like NOKE-ya if you're an actual Finn), but I never heard him say anything other than no-KEE-a.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle215 View Post
Here in the Philly area, we have Lancaster County, pronounced along the lines of linkustir... slight accent on the “link”, but mostly just a slurry of consonants.

And the Schuylkill River, pronounced skoo-kul. Always fun to hear a GPS robo-voice try to tackle that one.
My ex was a Philly native transplanted to the midwest. Sometimes she had trouble making herself understood. The first time she ordered a "soda" at a restaurant, she was surprised to receive an ice cream soda instead of just a cola. She pronounced orange "ARanj," milk "melk," water "WOODer," robot as "RObutt," and fully sounded the G in words like hanger and singer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion