The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-30-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
question - when you say 'you've lost volume' are you speaking about acoustic volume, or electrified ( pickup) volume? These are two quite different things to correct.
Loss in volume is acoustic. And I'd rather live with that until I can get a proper repair, than the high action that would result from shimming.

*Sigh*... Thanks all!!

My (old) tunes
Old 01-30-2021, 09:35 AM

Default A thought

I think OP misunderstands the shims being discussed. Taylor's NT necks sit in a CNC-cut cavity in the body and the neck angle is controlled by tapered shim sets of complementary angles. One shim goes under the fingerboard, the other behind the heel. Sanding Taylor saddles is not a recommended procedure to manage string height, swapping shim sets is. Neck shims thoroughly control action height. When considering managing neck geometry on a Taylor, all corrective techniques used on other guitars become inappropriate. It takes less tine to swap a shim set than changing strings. And a Taylor-authorized service provider is the source of shims and experience in using them.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:39 AM

Truss rod adjustment has nothing to do with the action being high overall. Respectfully, you really should get your guitar to someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:03 PM

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair