The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-27-2014, 08:42 PM

Default "Bonky" sounding string

Hi; New guy here that changed the strings on my Yamaha FG735s guitar. Everything seems ok except for the G string, when I strum it, it sounds ok but when I pick it firmly it has a really "bonk" sound, non of the other strings are doing that. All the strings are in tune per my chromatic tuner. Can anybody tell me what might be going on???
Thanks, Ron

Last edited by RonaldP; 02-27-2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Need to add something.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:04 PM

First I'd remove the string, and reinstall it. Maybe it didn't seat properly against the bridge plate. It's possible the winding broke somewhere...
Old 02-28-2014, 12:37 AM

Is it a bonk or a buzz? If re-installing the string don't cure it. See if it happens fretted as well. If it only occurs on the open string, that might indicate a low nut slot, high 1st or 2nd fret or loose tuner/bushing... If you changed string gauge, check your relief as well. Might just want to check it anyway.

I chased an undesired tonal anomaly on a D string only for a couple of weeks. Turned out the neck had almost no relief. No adjustable truss rod to bail me out..., had to change to a heavier tension string set. Lot a of climate extremes this winter, weird things can happen.

Good luck,
Pete

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair