The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-07-2021, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Thanks John, I appreciate the support. Ill let you know if I TAB out any of these pieces.

When it comes to notating pieces, does one have to own the publishing rights, or get permission from the publisher? At least if you are going to sell the sheet music. Klinten was not written by me and its not trad, so if I was going to sell the transcription I might have to get permission from the composer. I wonder if I could just do it for free though.

I did write the title track, so i could notate that out, no problem.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Thanks John, I appreciate the support. Ill let you know if I TAB out any of these pieces.

When it comes to notating pieces, does one have to own the publishing rights, or get permission from the publisher? At least if you are going to sell the sheet music. Klinten was not written by me and its not trad, so if I was going to sell the transcription I might have to get permission from the composer. I wonder if I could just do it for free though.

I did write the title track, so i could notate that out, no problem.
Your own stuff, and the traditional/public-domain tunes are no problem. Publishing music for tunes that others own the rights to gets complicated and expensive, tho if the composer himself owns the rights (as opposed to some publishing company), you might be able to get permission from him/her. Also check Sheet Music Plus's publishing platform, which can deal with some cases where there are publishing rights involved. I suspect most of the tunes you have arranged won't be in their catalog, tho. I just checked, and Klinten's not there, for example.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Doug, that makes sense. For Klinten I learned it off youtube, someone was playing it on Nykelharpa. I think I recorded a video of it, and the guy that composed it commented or something. So i reached out to him and paid him the mechanical royalty directly to record my arrangement of his tune.

I'm thinking if i wanted to transcribe my arrangement I could just ask him and he would be fine with it. Maybe ill do that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD