The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-14-2022, 08:07 AM

Default Would you buy this Gibson?

A Les Paul is not an acoustic but the question is valid here.

Gibson has a reissue of a 50's and 60's Les Paul. They have a hand selected flamed maple top. The grade is AAA.

The descriptions I read described the pickups for each model which I like since I am fond of humbuckers.

The colors I believe are Cherry Burst and Tobacco Burst for the 50's and Iced Tea and Bourbon burst for the 60's.

The 50's has the chunky neck of the era. The 60's model has slim profile.

They are selling for $2999. Question is, Would you buy one sight unseen? Because that is exactly what Gibson is asking.

They are expecting you to order one on a leap of faith.

Not me, when I looked at the picture that accompanied the article it looks as if there was no attempt at proper bookmatching.

Just curious as to what some of your thoughts are. Have a wonderful day I'm going fishing.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years

Last edited by rstaight; 05-14-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:33 AM

There's an electric guitar section on this forum, but whatever. If I wasn't sure about the clarity of the pic or info, I'd see about asking them for more details. If that wasn't an option, I'd move on since there are many good choices out there. My .02...
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 05-14-2022, 08:50 AM

I'm not sure what the "article" that hasn't given you what you want is. A Gibson catalog? A review somewhere? A web store listing?

Implied in your question is that you care about the top grain either for its own sake or for the old favorite "What is says about the care that the rest of the guitar was constructed with."

If we get your implication, you are answering your own question as you ask it. You need at least multiple sharp pictures. Frankly, even though you don't mention it, you'd ideally want to see if the sound you think you'll get is present, the exact nature of how you interact with the different necks. weight, and so on.

Now, if we take you literally and you're asking what we'd do (to get survey to back up your own opinion, or to reassess it as unreasonable?). My answer would be that I've bought a number of more inexpensive guitars over the years sight unseen and though that's been for practical reasons, I sort of enjoy the "life is like a box of chocolates" experience of seeing them first and then as it "grows on me" as I continue finding out how they speak and feel to play over time.

My Les Paul is a none-more-dull-satin black low-end Studio model with a nice asymmetric neck carve (love that BTW) and 57 Classic pickups. I think it has the weight relief chambers. I can't see the grain in the top (not that I don't think nice grain isn't well, nice). Not everyone's taste in Les Pauls, but then it makes "sight unseen" less important in my case.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-14-2022, 09:09 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I don't typically buy Gibsons without playing them. They can be so... individual in character. This from a guy who loves Gibsons.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-14-2022, 09:34 AM

Why is Gibson asking you to buy sight unseen? They selling direct now??? They taking pre-orders?

Anyway I would be more inclined to buy an electric unseen than an acoustic. Gibson Les Paul flame tops have been pretty good….especially AAA.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

I think both the 50s and 60s Standards are in stock at Chicago Musical Exchange for around 10% less than the OP’s quote.

I’d buy the 50s model as I like that neck profile better. I have a 72 Goldtop with the 50s profile.

I think a few folks with empty nests and comfortable lives probably are willing to put that much into a Les Paul sight unseen. It’s a thing—you remember the one hanging behind the counter when you were a kid without the scratch to buy it. I’m sure the recent standards are fine guitars. Funny, they’re never quite as good as the one that got away.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-14-2022, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

The best thing about a Les Paul is owning it. Never liked it, but it was so pretty I kept it for a few years.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-14-2022, 01:28 PM

I assume you are talking about the e-mail recently from Gibson? They are offering Hand-Selected AAA Figured Maple Tops Exclusively on Gibson.com.

The 50's and 60's series Les Pauls are NOT weight relieved. If you check on Sweetwater the weight ranges from 8 lbs 6 0z to 10 lbs. If you order it from Gibson who knows what you will get.

FYI, Sweetwater also offers AAA 50's and 60's Les Pauls for 2899.00. If you go with Gibson who knows what you might get. If you go with Sweetwater, Zzsounds, or American Musical you can pick the exact guitar.

My advice is to buy it from one of these dealers.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPS5A19

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item...-Paul--srcin-1

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/sea...l+standard+aaa

https://www.facebook.com/RichardsBluesBand
https://www.facebook.com/RichardAbbuhlMusic

Richard's Blue Band on Spotify
Richard Abbuhl on Spotify
RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 05-14-2022, 02:34 PM

There are plenty of dealers that will show you an exact picture of the guitar you're buying. Wildwood currently has over 100 of the model you're talking about in stock and ready to ship. They regularly get new ones in. They have 50's and 60's neck profiles with exact measurements. They have the weight accurately listed down to the ounce and the photos are great.

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product-...rd-gibson-usa/
Old 05-14-2022, 04:18 PM

For 3k i would think you have a grace period
To send it back if its a dud..
Old 05-14-2022, 05:11 PM

I would agree with others here that it's a little steep in pricing, that said, the 50's is what I would go with just because I love the neck. If money is not an issue I say go for it, LP's are great guitars. In response to the the weight issue, Les Pauls are HEAVY!! and the weight relieved newer models just don't seem like LP's to me and I know i'm not alone.
Old 05-14-2022, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

You’re a bit over 2 hours drive from Sweetwater in Fort Wayne.

Why not take a day and head over there for some hands-on?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-14-2022, 09:46 PM

I love the Gibson Les Paul classic 50's with the chunky neck. I have the Epiphone '59 Les Paul, and it's awesome.

But Gibson has a rep for poor QC. Rule of thumb is you don't buy a Gibson without playing it first.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 05-14-2022, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaze3 View Post
I would agree with others here that it's a little steep in pricing, that said, the 50's is what I would go with just because I love the neck. If money is not an issue I say go for it, LP's are great guitars. In response to the the weight issue, Les Pauls are HEAVY!! and the weight relieved newer models just don't seem like LP's to me and I know i'm not alone.
Less that 24 hours after buying my Epiphone '59 Les Paul it was wearing Schaller S-Locks. I did NOT trust a strap to hold it up all by itself.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 05-15-2022, 04:55 AM

Gibson QA can be hit or miss.

If you are really discerning, and who isn't for 3k, you want to be sure of the exchange policy and if there's a suitable exchange in stock.

Cosmetics mean a lot at that price tag. Somethings you can let go, some things you won't. The difference is what you'll tolerate.

If you get a good one, they are awesome.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars