The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-10-2022, 11:22 AM

Default Plugins and Acoustic Recording

Relatively new to the recording world. I have recorded in studios but never done the recording myself. Recently picked up a Universal Audio Volt 176 interface to do some at home recording with. Just running Garageband on my Mac. Have been looking at some UAD plugins to be able to further enhance the sound of recordings. Have a couple questions i could use some advice/opinoins on.

Would getting a compressor/limited and preamp plug in be worth it or would money be better spent on a nice mic and mic pre?

Currently have a Sunrise pickup on my acoustic. Does recording through this offer anything or should I stick to just recording with a mic?

2005 Martin D-18GE Shade Top
Taylor 717 Builders Edition
PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-10-2022, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcregle1 View Post
Relatively new to the recording world. I have recorded in studios but never done the recording myself. Recently picked up a Universal Audio Volt 176 interface to do some at home recording with. Just running Garageband on my Mac. Have been looking at some UAD plugins to be able to further enhance the sound of recordings. Have a couple questions i could use some advice/opinoins on.

Would getting a compressor/limited and preamp plug in be worth it or would money be better spent on a nice mic and mic pre?

Currently have a Sunrise pickup on my acoustic. Does recording through this offer anything or should I stick to just recording with a mic?
The setup you're describing won't run UAD plugins because you do not have dsp available for them.

I'd suggest your first buy should be a good microphone.
At the top of this subforum is a stickied thread called:
AGF MEMBERS GEAR MASTERLIST & RECOMMENDED TUTORIAL VIDEOS
That's a good place to start looking at available microphone options. Also look at the section with room treatment videos. Even with a great mic, a crappy room makes achieving good sounding recordings difficult.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-10-2022, 11:46 AM

I'd say the first thing to get is a pair of microphones to record your acoustic guitar in stereo.. No pickup can match the richness of a mic. Unless price is not an issue, check Audio Technica 2020s out for an entry level pair.

You must be using some kind of DAW. Until your ear becomes educated, I'd suggest using the stock plugins that came with it for awhile until you learn what effects such as EQ, compression, delay and reverb do before spending money on plugins that will sound the same as what you probably already have.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the link!

So if I wanted to utilize plugins, I would have to get something like the Universal Audio UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt 3?

2005 Martin D-18GE Shade Top
Taylor 717 Builders Edition
PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-10-2022, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link!

So if I wanted to utilize plugins, I would have to get something like the Universal Audio UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt 3?
If you want to use UAD plugins, yes. But there are zillions of other plugins that will run in your DAW and not require DSP processing. UAD makes nice plugins, but there are tons of others that are also very good, and will run in GarageBand. GarageBand also already has oodles of plugins.

My advice would be to not worry about plugins right now. Worry about how to get a good raw recording. Starting out by choosing plugins is like worrying about what spices you'll use when preparing a meal, when you don't know how to turn on the stove yet, and don't know what you're planning to cook. Plugins are "sweeteners" - they come last.

When you get a recording that sounds good raw, then see what effects (aka plugins) your DAW has built in and learn to use those. Then, once you have idea of what you wish you could do that the built in effects can't do, start shopping around. But people have recorded entire CDs with GarageBand using nothing but what's there. Check Jim's big list in the sticky for ideas of what's out there.

On the pickup vs mic, it depends on the sound you want. A Sunrise is basically an electric guitar pickup, it's going to sound very "electric" or "magnetic". That isn't good or bad, it's just a certain sound. If you want to capture a more natural acoustic sound, you'll need mics. But it all depends on what you're trying to record, what kind of sound you want. Again, going thru Jim's big sticky list at the top of this topic is a mini course on home recording that will answer lots of questions about the process.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

As a beginner, I’ve had a good experience with the little 2-input AudioBox USB 96 and the excellent DAW that comes free with it: Studio One 5. $100 for everything. It’s performer-friendly, even as it has gradually built up a near-professional universe of features on its way to v.5.

Since you already have the Volt 176 (I don’t know it, but I assume it has 48V phantom-power preamps?) you could just buy the entry-level Studio One Artist, which I think is also $100.

For the beginner the analogy with Studio One is Excel. You can use Excel for simple tables on Day One, and how deeply you dive into it is up to you. Like Excel, Studio One has more functionality than you will ever use or need.

I only played around with Garage Band years ago on extremely rudimentary tracks, so I’ve never explored its features, but it must have something going for it. You’re probably already set up to start tracking with it. But I agree a soundhole pickup might leave you wanting.

I second the sound-quality advice here. Practice with a classic two-mic setup like XY or ORTF with a pair of small-diaphragm condenser mics in the best-sounding spot in your house, and go from there. Raw recording first, and plugins only later when you’re ready. No need to break the bank for quality: I’m working now with two sE8 mics ($500 for the pair including the dual-mic bracket) and the results are great for my needs.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

Last edited by b1j; 05-10-2022 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:03 PM

Let me reinforce and endorse what Doug Young said above: You have some kind of interface I gather, and a DAW (Garageband). The Mac version of GB has EQ, various flavors of compression, and more built in. Are they the perfect versions and the favorites of everyone in the world? No, but when choosing between additional plugins and hardware options for those things there are differing goals and opinions -- and you're learning, so you don't have those firmed up yet. So use the ones you have, and learn how to use them.

As Doug also said: with much solo acoustic guitar material and singer with guitar stuff, a lot more should be riding on getting a good sound via your playing, mic position, room environment, and so on. You can start learning that when you get your first microphone.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-10-2022, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link!

Yes, but take it from someone who went deep down the UAD plugin rabbit hole for nearly 20 years, there's no reason to buy into that very expensive ecosystem. For anyone considering it, I'd strongly argue the money could be better spent towards an M1 Mac.

10-20 years ago, when computers were much less powerful than what we've seen in recent years, the UA dsp system made sense because it off-loaded a lot of processing that the computer's cpu would otherwise have had to handle. Today, dsp is fast approaching obsolescence.

On top of that, UAD plugins are overly expensive. There was a time when they were clearly the best available but that is no longer the case. There are plenty of truly excellent plugins out there. You can find many of the companies listed on the sticky page in the video sections for each plugin type. There are also many free plugins that are of excellent quality. Those are also on the stickied page and I'd suggest you start with those first.

So start with getting at least one good quality microphone. Two is preferable but you can start with one and learn how even small shifts in placement can really make a difference in what you hear on the other end.

After microphones, I think the next most important thing will be a good set of monitors. You didn't mention any in your first post so I'm guessing you're using headphones, the computer speaker, or those tiny pairs they sell for desktops. Real monitors will give you a much better representation of what you're recording (on the less expensive end of things, I've never used them but all I hear are good things about Kali monitors).

If you're recording in a smaller room, you'll at least want a couple of bass traps (not foam, never foam) on stands for your recording sessions. There's a video in the stickied thread that shows how big a difference just a couple of those can have on a small room.

Last, don't rush your purchases. There's a LOT to learn when you first jump into this stuff and, speaking from experience, it's easy to make purchases you'll regret later. Ask all the questions you need to but use that stickied thread also. There is a wealth of information there and it was put together to make the journey easier for people where you are right now.

YouTube
Old 05-10-2022, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Since you already have the Volt 176 (I don’t know it, but I assume it has 48V phantom-power preamps?) you could just buy the entry-level Studio One Artist, which I think is also $100.
I've never used either, so I could be totally wrong here, but wouldn't Logic Pro be the most similar step up from Garage Band? I think I've heard that said and it makes sense seeing that they're both Apple products.

YouTube
Old 05-10-2022, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I've never used either, so I could be totally wrong here, but wouldn't Logic Pro be the most similar step up from Garage Band? I think I've heard that said and it makes sense seeing that they're both Apple products.
Yes, GarageBand and Logic are reportedly the same code under the hood. GarageBand just removes some of the advanced features and adds more hand-holding. You can open GarageBand projects in Logic (but not the other direction as far as I know). They look *very* similar as far as the UI.

There's really no reason to switch DAWs unless you prefer the workflow of one or another. They're all fine for most of what home recordists will do with them. GarageBand is perfectly capable, and you can easily "upgrade" to Logic some day and not lose any of your existing projects if you want some of the more advanced features of Logic, or get tired of GarageBand's "easy-to-use" wrappers.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Yes, GarageBand and Logic are reportedly the same code under the hood. GarageBand just removes some of the advanced features and adds more hand-holding. You can open GarageBand projects in Logic (but not the other direction as far as I know). They look *very* similar as far as the UI.

There's really no reason to switch DAWs unless you prefer the workflow of one or another. They're all fine for most of what home recordists will do with them. GarageBand is perfectly capable, and you can easily "upgrade" to Logic some day and not lose any of your existing projects if you want some of the more advanced features of Logic, or get tired of GarageBand's "easy-to-use" wrappers.
I don't know if GarageBand comes with plugins but I've heard that the stock plugins that come with Logic Pro are pretty good, so that might be a good reason to make the move.

YouTube
Old 05-10-2022, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Your new interface only has one input, so if you keep it, you can only record your Sunrise or a mic (should you get a mic). Most folks here record two tracks when recording (e.g., (i) two mics for stereo recording of solo guitar, (ii) one mic for guitar and one mic for vocals).

It's a good idea to plan and budget your recording setup before buying anything.

What will you be recording simultaneously?

And, as others have said, I suggest waiting on buying any plugins, at least until you have your critical path items for you studio in place and have spent time with the gear, your DAW and the plugins you already have.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I don't know if GarageBand comes with plugins but I've heard that the stock plugins that come with Logic Pro are pretty good, so that might be a good reason to make the move.
Yes, GarageBand has lots of plugins, and with a quick look, they seem to be basically the same ones Logic has, tho I haven't done a side-by-side comparison. GB might be missing a few. And you can load third party AU plugins into GarageBand as well.

garageband:
Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 2.59.31 PM.jpg

Logic:

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 2.59.17 PM.jpg

What GarageBand doesn't have is things like automation modes (as far as I know), Flextime and Flexpitch, and it doesn't have a lot of the extra stuff, like Live Looping (Logic's answer to Ableton Live). I might be wrong about that, since my experience with Garageband is mostly limited to opening projects someone else has sent me, but with a cursory look, I don't see the controls for those things in GarageBand. Logic has a lot of stuff that I never use, so there may be other things missing from GB that I wouldn't notice.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, GarageBand has lots of plugins, and with a quick look, they seem to be basically the same ones Logic has, tho I haven't done a side-by-side comparison. GB might be missing a few. And you can load third party AU plugins into GarageBand as well.
It sounds like sticking with GB would make sense for the OP until such time as he needs some feature that GB is missing ...which is what you pretty much said earlier.

YouTube
Old 05-10-2022, 06:51 PM

Quote:

What GarageBand doesn't have is things like automation modes (as far as I know), Flextime and Flexpitch, and it doesn't have a lot of the extra stuff, like Live Looping (Logic's answer to Ableton Live). I might be wrong about that, since my experience with Garageband is mostly limited to opening projects someone else has sent me, but with a cursory look, I don't see the controls for those things in GarageBand. Logic has a lot of stuff that I never use, so there may be other things missing from GB that I wouldn't notice.
Just as an FYI, GarageBand has automation modes that control volume, pan, echo, reverb, as well as the smart controls - compressor threshold, ratio, attack, gain as well as for plug-ins like NoiseGate, Compressor & Channel EQ.

I'm guessing Logic's "Looping" in GB is called "Cycles"? - "You can use the cycle area to repeatedly play a particular part of a project. The cycle area can be used for composing, practicing a part before recording, recording multiple takes, and other purposes."

Not picking on ya, Doug, as I know nothing of Logic. GB is far from perfect, of all the Apple software I've used over the decades GB has my least favorite UI - there's still functions I've no idea how to use and happy not to. I probably use about 50% of what the program can do.
I'll always pound the table for GarageBand for starting out, as it's a great program most of us bedroom studio engineers never really grow out of. . .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD