The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-09-2022, 10:32 AM

Default Best cheap way to make good wuality youtube videos

Hi, I was wanting to record some live audio performances (just me and my guitar) with mi phone (android) or my Ipad and some acceptable acoustic quality.

Is there any specific setup you would recommend.

I researched and found these 2 options. Any input on them??

a) Rode V logger
https://www.amazon.com/Rode-Vlogger-...ps%2C99&sr=8-3

b) Shure MV 88
https://www.amazon.com/Shure-MV88-Di...mi%2C64&sr=1-5

Do these cheap mics actually improve sound quality??

Also, is there any software you could recommend??

Thanks a lot!
Old 05-09-2022, 01:40 PM
Eric Skye

After just a quick peek at the NV88 option, I would say that could be okay sounding, but probably not anywhere near the difference you’re hoping for compared to just using iPhone built-in microphone. These would be great if you were a reporter doing an interview to transcribe later than for acoustic music recording.

One of the main problems is most of these microphones are just attached to your phone, which of course is also your camera, so it’s likely just to be too far away from the guitar to sound like I imagine you hope it will.

If you already have a computer interface and some other kind of conventional recording microphone it would be magnitude better to use them and record the audio onto your laptop or something at the same time and synchronize with the iPhone video after the fact. Once you figure it out it’s pretty easy. And that’ll make an enormous difference in the quality of your videos. If you don’t already have those things, for the price of Shure you linked, you could probably get a very inexpensive single channel USB interface and condenser mic and be off and running.

Lastly, as for the Rode, with the little light attached, I’d personally skip that for sure and use natural light from a window if you can. That’ll take it from security camera footage to something much more cinematic right away. Research "natural light videography," and "lighting angles for interviews" or similar on Youtube..

Sorry if I went off track a bit from original question, but to be honest I do regret wasting money on stuff like this when I first started trying make guitar selfies.

Last edited by min7b5; 05-09-2022 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2022, 01:48 PM

There is a saying in the production business—“You can have it good, cheap or fast, pick two…”

So the easy answer to your question is that you can't have "good quality" audio or video with an Iphone. You can have OK audio with an Iphone, and you just have to decide how much money you want to spend to stretch your quality envelope. I am guessing you would probably just as well use the Iphone's mike and live with it.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 05-09-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
After just a quick peek at the NV88 option, I would say that could be okay sounding, but probably not anywhere near the difference you’re hoping for compared to just using iPhone built-in microphone. These would be great if you were a reporter doing an interview to transcribe later than for acoustic music recording.

One of the main problems is most of these microphones are just attached to your phone, which of course is also your camera, so it’s likely just to be too far away from the guitar to sound like I imagine you hope it will.

If you already have a computer interface and some other kind of conventional recording microphone it would be magnitude better to use them and record the audio onto your laptop or something at the same time and synchronize with the iPhone video after the fact. Once you figure it out it’s pretty easy. And that’ll make an enormous difference in the quality of your videos. If you don’t already have those things, for the price of Shure you linked, you could probably get a very inexpensive single channel USB interface and condenser mic and be off and running.

Lastly, as for the Rode, with the little light attached, I’d personally skip that for sure and use natural light from a window if you can. That’ll take it from security camera footage to something much more cinematic right away. Research "natural light videography," and "lighting angles for interviews" or similar on Youtube..

Sorry if I went off track a bit from original question, but to be honest I do regret wasting money on stuff like this when I first started trying make guitar selfies.

Thanks a lot for this post. 100% knowledge. I do have a rudimentary interface, so I guess I will try that option. Any advice on a good software for video and sound matching/editing?
Old 05-09-2022, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

The key to getting better sound on videos is twofold: 1) just as with any recording, room acoustics matter, a lot. And 2) you have to get the mic closer to you than where the camera is in almost all cases. The optimal spot for your camera as far as looks is going to be way too far away, even with good acoustics, to sound professional. That MV88 can work - there are a number of people here on AGF who have posted using them - but you need to have an extension cable for it, so you can bring the mic closer to you. If you just attach it to the phone, and the phone's across the room, you probably won't sound significantly better than the built-in mics.

The whole thing of doing videos is a big topic, and there are tons of posts about it here. There's a lot to learn, gear, techniques, audio, lighting, video editing and so on. Not to scare you off :-) Many, many people here do it, and approaches and costs involved can range from simple and cheap to pricey and complex, depending on what you want to do. Here's a video Adam Rafferty did quite a long time ago now (10 years), so specific gear might not be valid, but what he describes is still generally applicable for a "better" quality, but no big production, video:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuzTkxJ2wKk

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EhSVOmq1WU

Everyone may do things a tad differently, but in general, it's going to be variations on this sort of thing. It might help if you had an example of what type of video and quality you're shooting for. Look in the show and tell section here on AGF, for example, and see what others here are posting. You might just ask the poster what they used as a way to learn about it.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:21 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah View Post
Any advice on a good software for video and sound matching/editing?
Do you have a Mac? If so you could use the Garage Band and iMovie apps it came with to make something fantastic for free. You're just gonna have to do a deep dive on syncing. I just put "synching audio from GarageBand to iMovie" in Youtube search and there's no shortage of smart helpful people explaining things..
Old 05-10-2022, 06:11 AM

"Best and Cheap" is a tough combination when you get into making videos.

Doug's first paragraph is very succinct, as well as the rest of his posting.

A couple of other ideas for you:

Read everything Fran Guidry has to say about making "Look at me play guitar" videos on his Homebrewedmusic.com website.

Here's a recent forum topic on shooting video:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=624837

It has different hardware than what you want to use, but the basic idea is the same.

I'm the king of cheap, so here's a setup I used with a cheap point and shoot camera with audio recorded with a Zoom H1. I combined the audio and video using my computer and Windows Moviemaker. You could do the same thing using your cell phone video. There are very nice cell phone holders made for positioning your phone on a tripod or microphone stand which take a lot of work out of phone positioning.

Last edited by Rudy4; 05-10-2022 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-10-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
"Best and Cheap" is a tough combination when you get into making videos.

Doug's first paragraph is very succinct, as well as the rest of his posting.

A couple of other ideas for you:

Read everything Fran Guidry has to say about making "Look at me play guitar" videos on his Homebrewedmusic.com website.

Here's a recent forum topic on shooting video:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=624837

It has different hardware than what you want to use, but the basic idea is the same.

I'm the king of cheap, so here's a setup I used with a cheap point and shoot camera with audio recorded with a Zoom H1. I combined the audio and video using my computer and Windows Moviemaker. You could do the same thing using your cell phone video. There are very nice cell phone holders made for positioning your phone on a tripod or microphone stand which take a lot of work out of phone positioning.

I love the idea of the mirror so that you can see the LCD screen "viewfinder"

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-10-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Hi, I was wanting to record some live audio performances (just me and my guitar) with mi phone (android) or my Ipad and some acceptable acoustic quality.

Is there any specific setup you would recommend.

I researched and found these 2 options. Any input on them??

a) Rode V logger
https://www.amazon.com/Rode-Vlogger-...ps%2C99&sr=8-3

b) Shure MV 88
https://www.amazon.com/Shure-MV88-Di...mi%2C64&sr=1-5

Do these cheap mics actually improve sound quality??

Also, is there any software you could recommend??

Thanks a lot!
The advice to use an interface and mic placement freedom is good and something I endorse, even if I'm going to offer contrasting options. And yes, the room enters into how the video will sound. Budgets and goals and time available vary of course. Some just want to document what they've performed or as feedback for their own performance skills. Others would like it took as slick as a pro video with sound as good as a studio recording. Some also just want to shoot video of them playing an acoustic and possibly singing. Others desire multiple camera angles, multiple instruments, video effects, slick titling, etc. AGF'rer GlennWillow does fine stuff with his videos for an example (check out show and tell for examples). Other don't need, or can't afford the time or even modest money for all that.

When I hear someone say cheap, I take it seriously, because I've been in that world and understand it (even if I also know the limitations).

If you take care with your phone's placement and the location where you record you can get decent sound and video, and you seem to already have a phone. Experiment with placmeent (cost: time, and no money). Here's an example I recorded with a cell phone camera 8 years or so ago:

The quality (audio and video) is nowhere near what others (like GlennWillow) have done, but it does document the performance adequately so that someone could get an idea of the song presented and my level of performance of it.* A better looking background and performing artist and a better performance could take this level of video recording to another level with the same audio.

I used Windows Movie Maker (no longer easily available) for editing and titling. If I was doing this today I'd use iMovie, perhaps the version on my phone. That's free software.

Another option, one I've also used, is to not shoot live video of my performance, but to use other visuals instead. When you have my level of performance charisma and youthful good lucks, I'm giving up a lot -- but there's about as much interest in either video style online.

For example, this one:

I used iMovie on my recording Mac desktop (again, free) for this. The audio here was recorded with an interface into Apple Logic Pro X (not free, $200, but there are free** to low-cost audio software options). Note that even though this performance is mainly acoustic guitar and vocal, there's a second vocal and some subtle piano in the performance. Again, GlennWillow does a nice job of making videos of his "one man band" recordings, my example is a simpler approach, consistent with my April project goal which was one video ever day of National Poetry Month.

*All I wanted to do was demonstrate how I perform this too-little-known song. I actually misheard a couple of the lyrics, so like some old blues songs which folks transcribed off of old 78s, there some unintentional mondegreens in there.

**examples: Audacity (I've used it a little) is free. Reaper is well liked by many who use it, and is $60 for personal use. GarageBand is free on Mac computers and is now more or less "Logic Pro X Lite" and could have done what I used Logic Pro for in the above video's audio.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-10-2022, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Do you have a Mac? If so you could use the Garage Band and iMovie apps it came with to make something fantastic for free. You're just gonna have to do a deep dive on syncing. I just put "synching audio from GarageBand to iMovie" in Youtube search and there's no shortage of smart helpful people explaining things..
What Eric said. I've gotten some very usable audio from a Blue Snowball USB mic into Garageband. If you're careful about placement and the room you're in, there doesn't have to be much post production 'treatment'.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I love the idea of the mirror so that you can see the LCD screen "viewfinder"
Necessity is truly the mother of invention!
Old 05-10-2022, 02:42 PM

Thanks to everyone. Very useful info, no doubt!

Will look into it. I just wanted a faster way to improve the wuality of what already is on my Youtube Channel:

https://youtu.be/MUG28p4VFNc

This was done with my Cellphone and a zoom h2 plugged in to it. I just wanted to know if there was a more hassle free way to get better wuality.

THanks a lot
Old 05-10-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks to everyone. Very useful info, no doubt!

Will look into it. I just wanted a faster way to improve the wuality of what already is on my Youtube Channel:

https://youtu.be/MUG28p4VFNc

This was done with my Cellphone and a zoom h2 plugged in to it. I just wanted to know if there was a more hassle free way to get better wuality.

THanks a lot

You're getting a lot of undesirable room sound in that recording from all the hard surfaces. It still works to document "The song and/or how I perform it" mode.

One can reduce room sound with mic placement and type, but it'd be better if you can find a place with less reflective elements like that brick wall room, and/or treat the room. That room looked OK as a background, but otherwise it didn't help your video.

In another video I saw of yours from Jan 2021, you had a mic, and a different room. That one was not as bad with the room artifacts, but the room was still less than ideal for audio quality.

But again, I go back to goals, and what you want to expend toward those goals.

Old 05-11-2022, 07:18 AM
Eric Skye

If your room isn't so great, bring the mic in close. My guitar in my small 12 X 12 kitchen, with a relatively affordable mic (AKG 214 I got used), a $59 Blue Icicle interface, into Garage Band: https://youtu.be/74raEzp8uJ8 If I sang I'd just raise the mic a bit.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Think about lighting well and choosing a good background. For the lighting to look professional the lights should be away from the camera. When the light mounts on the camera like with the Rode it's gonna look amateur. If you are going for a deer in the headlights look you'll get it that way.

There are plenty of lighting tutorials if you search for them. You can do a lot with cheap hardware store work lights and foamcore from an art supply store used as reflectors. The larger the light source the softer and more flattering the light.

If you are interested in deep diving on lighting get the book 'Painting with Light' by cinematographer John Alton.

Last edited by Al Acuff; 05-11-2022 at 08:44 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD