The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-06-2022, 07:04 AM

Default Voice Training

I notice reading through certain threads, I'll see the oft-handed comment about someone's singing voice being just ok or not that great. I'm here to tell you, you can train your voice just like learning to play guitar. I had a pretty good voice when I was younger. Played in the typical cover bands and had no problem either singing lead or sharing lead. Fast forward 30 years and my voice was below average at best. Didn't really matter until I rekindled my love of guitar. I knew if I wanted to play gigs I'd have to work on my voice. As luck would have it a girl I dated in high school, who went on to a successful career as a opera singer, reached out to me on F.B. just to say hi. She had retired and was now a private voice coach. She agreed to take me on, her only non opera student. Didn't matter because all the exercises she took me through applied. All this to say she made an amazing difference in both my range and tone. Something to consider if you're not happy with your singing voice.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:23 AM

Agree 100% - I have a horrible natural voice and some hearing issues complicating the matter. I took about a year of regular voice lessons and it has benefited me immensely. I still don't have a great voice and likely never will but I am know when I am off pitch and can correct it so that my voice is at least not unpleasant, and occasionally sounds pretty nice. I wish I had done this much earlier in my guitar journey and encourage anyone who struggles with singing to get some voice instruction - you'll be glad you did.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Hmmm....I'm currently in the middle of this bucket list journey to play an open mic and just getting my bearings playing and singing. I might need to look someone up.
Old 05-06-2022, 09:15 AM

This is something that really interests me. I play a lot at home now but when I was younger and touring in bands, my bandmates all sang backups and there was me (lead guitar) with no mic in front of me because I am not a strong singer. I can match pitch but I have to be listening to it and just copy what others are doing. Now that I just play acoustic at home, I would love to be able to sing and play just for me, my fiancé, and the kids when they come along. Think it would be really special to sing a song to her at the wedding next year. It is nice to hear that voice lessons can be used for those of us that can't sing too well and not just for those that can already sing and just enhance what they have. Time to find a vocal coach!

2005 Martin D-18GE Shade Top
Taylor 717 Builders Edition
PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-06-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdogblues View Post
Hmmm....I'm currently in the middle of this bucket list journey to play an open mic and just getting my bearings playing and singing. I might need to look someone up.
A good intermediate step is to find jam sessions in your area. My teacher runs picking parties and although they are open to the public it’s only ever players who show up. Everyone is better than me and it’s very much a no judgment zone.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 05-06-2022, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

My son and my daughter-in-law are both very effective voice teachers at the local college. I have heard them make huge differences with people's voices. People who are good at voice coaching really can help.

- Glenn
Old 05-06-2022, 10:06 AM

Even if you can't find a coach/teacher, there are things you can do on your own. Top of the list is deliberate practice, e.g. singing individual notes you play on guitar and/or songs you know well. If you're singing the song and hit a bad note, stop and fix it.

I had big improvements just doing the above for a couple of months. But another key was I practiced it every day for at least an hour. No substitute for time in the saddle...

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 05-06-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdogblues View Post
Hi jdog. This is exactly where I am - hopefully getting close to the point where I could pull off a nice 3 song set at an open mic and have people say - "That was nice."

I set by bar low - not to suck.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:22 AM

A little googling shows there are voice coaches doing training via voom.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

My dad is a retired voice teacher... I've been thinking about asking to take some lessons from him this summer... I think he'd really like that, give us an excuse to spend some more time together, and I'm sure it would help me. But he tried to get me to sing when I was younger and I wanted nothing to do with it... too embarrassed.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-06-2022, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
A good intermediate step is to find jam sessions in your area. My teacher runs picking parties and although they are open to the public it’s only ever players who show up. Everyone is better than me and it’s very much a no judgment zone.
Not a bad idea. I just contacted a local music school about voice lessons after reading this thread. Might as well get after it.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
Hi jdog. This is exactly where I am - hopefully getting close to the point where I could pull off a nice 3 song set at an open mic and have people say - "That was nice."

I set by bar low - not to suck.

Exactly! I've spent the last year or so bouncing around song to song and now I'm just really trying to build a legit repertoire of tunes I can really play and throwing in vocals. Its hard but I see improvement day to day which is really cool.
Old 05-06-2022, 11:12 AM

Will just echo what others have said:
  • A good voice coach can make a huge difference in your singing in half dozen sessions.
  • Like learning guitar, don’t bother with lessons of you can’t/won’t commit to daily practice.
  • Like playing guitar, you can set your own goals…some will continue with voice coaching for many months or years, some will take 6-12 lessons and be happy with what they have learned.

I think it is best to take a few lessons to get good technique (with how you use your jaw, and tongue, and how to breathe), and then do the kind of practice described by nostatic.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

I agree with all of these comments as well. Over a year, I went from considering myself incapable of singing to being able to sing on pitch, with a greater range and bigger volume than I would have expected.

And I realized something else that in retrospect I should have known all along: the voice is an instrument that requires regular focused practice (not just noodling) to keep it working properly. After being away from lessons for 8-10 months, I found my that my newfound singing skills were slipping away. I've now been in lessons again with a new teacher with a much different approach, and I can feel my voice coming back to me.

Both teachers were on zoom btw.

So yeah. Take lessons. There is no downside.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBee View Post
I agree with all of these comments as well. Over a year, I went from considering myself incapable of singing to being able to sing on pitch, with a greater range and bigger volume than I would have expected.

And I realized something else that in retrospect I should have known all along: the voice is an instrument that requires regular focused practice (not just noodling) to keep it working properly. After being away from lessons for 8-10 months, I found my that my newfound singing skills were slipping away. I've now been in lessons again with a new teacher with a much different approach, and I can feel my voice coming back to me.

Both teachers were on zoom btw.

So yeah. Take lessons. There is no downside.
Could you share contact info or a link to your remote instructors?

Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments