The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 08-31-2021, 11:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default McCabe's Guitars Now Carrying FIFTEEN (15) Different Models of CLP Picks!

Hi. Everyone. We're thrilled and humbled to announce that McCabes Guitars in Santa Monica is now an official Charmed Life dealer. We will be shipping their opening order this week.

Just this morning they posted a photo of our picks and welcomed us to the McCabe's family on Instagram. We'd love you to go by and drop a comment or Like. Thanks!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTsSZqbPwkD/

We are in productive discussions with a number of excellent dealers around the country. It's possible those talks will lead to new dealers in several major markets.

If you know of a dealer whom you think would be a good fit for our products, please mention us to them.

https://www.mccabes.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

Stay Tuned & Thank You,
Scott & Rhonda

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 02-26-2022 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:16 PM

Wow, that's amazing news Scott! McCabes is legendary. I've spent many a memorable evening in their back room. Congrats!
Old 08-31-2021, 01:42 PM

Was just there over the past two weekends (got a new Bourgeois from 'em!) and they had mentioned they were considering CLP. I just happened to have the Blonde, the brown vespel, and the beautiful shiny blue casein picks with me, and I could tell they were duly impressed with the quality!

This was a weekend of firsts for them, they normally aren't Bourgeois dealers (we surprisingly didn't have any in LA) but they just became authorized and had two dreads in. And now they have CLP. Two very respected brands have now been added to an iconic West LA music shop!
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-01-2021, 11:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks, Gents. We're kind of amazed at this whole thing.

Here's a funny story of how things come full circle.

In 1977, after the international CITES sanctions had been signed, I bought the last remaining genuine tortoise shell picks from McCabe's. Forty years later, they are carrying picks made by me in my ever-endless search for a legal replacement for TS. How's that for kismet?

Charmed Life Picks was never supposed to be a thing. I'm an English professor, not a manufacturer or businessman. In late 2015 I bought enough material to make about a dozen picks for myself, mainly cuz I'm cheap and don't want to pay those exorbitant prices (the ones I now charge!). Down the rabbit hole I went. Then, in the song circle acoustic jams I've been playing in for a decade, I started sharing the products with my buddies, after which they asked me to make one for them. With God as my witness, that's how it started. I mean, I had NO PLANS.

And six years later, here we are.

So to have McCabe's carrying our products is indeed a special moment for us.

Thanks Again!

Scott

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 09-01-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 12:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

McCabe's will have our products on the shelf by this coming Monday 09/06.

sm
Old 09-02-2021, 12:48 PM

Ah bummer it won't be there by the weekend, there's a Waterloo I'm a-hankering to play again, and I think I'm going to carve out time Saturday to check it out. But weekend plans can change on a dime, so if I don't get out there until Monday I'll get to check out your wares!
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-02-2021, 05:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
Ah bummer it won't be there by the weekend, there's a Waterloo I'm a-hankering to play again, and I think I'm going to carve out time Saturday to check it out. But weekend plans can change on a dime, so if I don't get out there until Monday I'll get to check out your wares!
Yeah, sorry, Lake. We got slammed royally on that first Reverb sale that ended Tuesday. I had no idea it would go that well. So we're digging out. I've got just a couple more units to get done for our friends in Santa Monica, which will be done tonight.

You know, it's possible if we get it to the local PO first thing Friday morn, it might arrive Sat.

sm
Old 09-02-2021, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Great news, Scott. McCabe's is a wonderful shop.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Kerbie, thanks. I have been shopping and attending concerts there for more than forty years. I gotta pinch myself. So grateful for them allowing our products to inhabit their fabled shelves.

And they're less than an hour from our shop.

sm
Old 09-07-2021, 04:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Now in stock.

sm
Old 09-07-2021, 05:51 PM

Ah, was there Saturday and it wasn't there yet. I'll try and stop by tonight if I have time.
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-07-2021, 09:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Scott,

That's fantastic news! Congrats on your success, well deserved. Let's talk.

Larry
Old 09-08-2021, 02:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Sounds Select Guitars View Post
Hey Scott,

That's fantastic news! Congrats on your success, well deserved. Let's talk.

Larry
Larry, thanks. It's been a long journey of more than five years to get our production to the point where we can begin to open some dealers.

Drop me a line any time. Generally direct email is best at charmedlifepicks @ gmail.com.

Best to You & Yours,
Scott
Old 09-10-2021, 09:55 AM

I can't definitively claim to be the first CLP @ McCabe's purchase, but Alex (the manager) did say he "just put these out". Of course I had mentioned a couple of weeks earlier that I was a fan of Scott's picks, so maybe he was just priming me for the sale, but that would have been unnecessary as I'd been eyeing the tortoise casein for a while now to add to my blue caseins.

The only casein I'm missing now is the flame casein so I'll be ordering one through McCabe's next time I'm in.
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-10-2021, 07:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
I can't definitively claim to be the first CLP @ McCabe's purchase, but Alex (the manager) did say he "just put these out". Of course I had mentioned a couple of weeks earlier that I was a fan of Scott's picks, so maybe he was just priming me for the sale, but that would have been unnecessary as I'd been eyeing the tortoise casein for a while now to add to my blue caseins.

The only casein I'm missing now is the flame casein so I'll be ordering one through McCabe's next time I'm in.
You're such a character and good soul. So glad we met here through AGF. Can't thank you enough for your undying support and belief in us, Carlo. It has been a long, arduous road, but also very satisfying.

For those who may be located near McCabe's, the gentleman who I've been working with most closely is named Alex. Couldn't ask for nicer people. I'll be going in there sometime before the holidays to do a little training.

Carlo, I spoke to Alex on the phone today and told him about your desire for a flame tri. One of the things exciting for us is referring customers over to our retailers to help build the brand and also help them with their revenue and sell-through. We make a few less bucks, but it's a good long-term vision for us. Exciting.

Hang on to your britches, folks. We're working on something very big in another city with a lot of music. My lips are sealed. But this may very well happen before the holidays, and this will be big for both us and the high-end pick industry. We've had to fight for it, but I'm so glad we survived the five-year jitters. We're rock-solid financially, have zero debt, never buy any equipment unless we can pay cash for it, and we've made some real Rube Goldberg handmade tools that have saved us a ton of money in building out our shop.

Thanks again. Onward and upward!

Scott Memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 09-10-2021 at 08:10 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace