The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-28-2021, 09:46 PM

Default Acoustic amp for CA guitar

Can you guys recommend a good practice amp, 10-25 watts , 8” speaker that will pair well with a CA GX guitar?
Old 12-28-2021, 11:36 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I don’t know much about amps or PAs, but I’m wondering if with an acoustic, you’d do best with one of the small Bose or JBL line array PAs rather than an amp.

Btw, the amplification requirements for a CF guitar in general or a CA GX in particular are likely not all that different than for wood guitars, so although you may get some good answers in the CF subforum if not, as a moderator, I can move it to the Acoustic Amplification subforum after a bit.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:14 AM

Depends on your budget. If you don't play out and just want to have fun at home check out the Boss Singer Live. 60 watts, two channels, one for guitar with Chorus and Reverb effects, the other, XLR for mic with Phantom power for a condenser mic with Delay and Reverb. It has a looper and harmony effects for vocal. It has line outs for powered speakers or to a PA. I have one and for home use it's fun to play with and sounds good.

If you want to go cheap the Alto Uber is a poorman's Bose, it's a 50 watt peak 2 channel PA, no eq, no effects, but runs off ac or battery, it has an additional 1/8 stereo plugin with blue tooth and a USB charger for an IPad or IPhone. I use it with a TC Helicon Mice Mechanic 2 and an Boss AD-3 and power it with a USB 5v to 9v converter cable to a 10,000 ah battery charger. No need for ac and you get decent effects and eq. The Mic Mechanic 2 also will provide phantom power for a condenser mic. The Mic Mechanic and Boss AD-3 is mounted together and in a small case with my mic a AKG 535eb. The whole outfit is very portable and self contained, much like my CA Cargo.

Last edited by Koamon; 12-29-2021 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

You will find a lot of folks here have a Fishman Loudbox; the Mini is the smallest and most prevalent. Two channels, one for guitar with a couple effects and a 1/4" input; the other for a mic, also some effects, and an XLR input. It does have a 6.5" speaker, but it can put out plenty of sound for its size.

It is 60 watts, so more than what you called for, but it does sound decent at quieter levels. New they sell for around $329, but there are a lot of them out there, and I've seen used ones in the $150 to $200 range.

I used one for several years, running a line out to a Bose L1c. I thought I'd find it handy for small situations, but never found the need for it that way. Having bought a Bose S1 while Fishman had my LBM in for repair, I prefer the sound of the S1, but it is nearly twice the price. My LBM doesn't get used much these days.

The LBM does a nice job with acoustic guitar - I've used mine with a variety of pickups; decent sound with vocals. It does seem to color the sound with a bit of warmth, which isn't a bad thing.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

The Loudbox is great, if you want something smaller/cheaper that will surprise you with the way it sounds, check out one of the Yamaha THRII10's.
Old 12-29-2021, 11:57 AM

I'm personally a huge fan of the Yamaha THR5A. I bought one and stupidly sold it and so then bought another. They are that good for a desktop amp in your guitar/ living room (not to mention they look freakin' cool).

No, it will not keep up with a noisy room (coffee shop or loud acoustic jam) but it does sound fabulous. I've owned Crates, Fenders, A.R. Acoustic, and played through many others. The Yamaha sounds the best and even make a 30W now.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I'm personally a huge fan of the Yamaha THR5A. I bought one and stupidly sold it and so then bought another. They are that good for a desktop amp in your guitar/ living room (not to mention they look freakin' cool).

No, it will not keep up with a noisy room (coffee shop or loud acoustic jam) but it does sound fabulous. I've owned Crates, Fenders, A.R. Acoustic, and played through many others. The Yamaha sounds the best and even make a 30W now.
First time I heard one, a guy was playing bass guitar thru it...I thought they were punking me ! LOL It sounded darn good.
Old 12-29-2021, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Ultrasound DS-3 or DS-4. 1/4” & XLR inputs. Dual Stereo 8” speakers. 50 Watts.
Plenty of onboard effects. Excellent acoustic reproduction. Wood or CF guitars.
Excellent for vocals too, if your so inclined.

Last edited by martinlover; 12-29-2021 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 07:17 AM

Thank you all, I did a bit of research and just settled on the Fender Acoustic Junior due to it's size, effects, and built in looper.
Old 12-30-2021, 01:07 PM

Enjoy your Fender amp!
I was going to suggest a used Ibanez Troubadour amp. I used to have one, and sounded pretty good for the price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber