The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-02-2014, 07:59 AM

Default "61" Silvertone N1

Finally getting back into my shop after the winter that will not end.
I've had this Silver tone laying around for awhile. Basically its in really good shape. Neck is tight and doesn't appear to need a re-set, which is rare in these guitars.

Neck is Maple, the rest is birch I believe, the front has some "birdseyes" in it which are kind of neat.

One binding is loose in the waist, but that's an easy fix.

Someone put classical tuners on it that won't stay tuned so I have a set of Klusen 15:1 ordered.

The finish on the back and sides is in very very good shape, issue is the front, it seems dull and I would like to get it to match the back and sides. Do I just try buffing it? or what?

any suggestions?

I had started a post on here awhile back with pics here is the link.

http://http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290196

Thanks in advance
Stu

Last edited by stuw; 04-02-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:24 AM

Looks like a good cleaning and a buff would work well.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:33 PM

Thanks B. Howard. I did some clean up on it before starting to put it back together. I will buff it out later when I'm sure everything is going to work.

The person who had this guitar before drilled out the tuner holes to 3/8's of in inch. The bushing that came with the Klusen Deluxes fell right in. I filled the holes with wood filler and re drilled them but you could still see the old holes around the bushings. Came up with a quick fix for now( not sure if I'm going to leave it this way)I found gromets that fit perfect. Different look don't you think?

Neck is pretty good all and all. I have the strings at 7/64ths right now on the 12th fret. No buzz's or rattles, and not hard to play. I'll try later to get them down a little more by taking some off the bridge.

I made a pick guard from an orphan Nara side, looks better that the plastic.
Wish I could remember how to post a pic, I've been trying with flickr but can't seem to get it to work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair