The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-12-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword Bringer View Post
...Godin and Baggs pioneered the piezo pick-up guitar...
Ovation might beg to differ...
Old 02-12-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I got my Icon back from the shop. He adjusted the intonations once more but said they really were not that off. The first thing I did when I got it home was take off the strings clean and polish the fret board and body and re-string it with a slightly lighter Gauge string set. .09-.42. they are one of the few godins that come with .10 sets. I know that putting lighter strings on usually make an intonation problem worse. But I also figured that if Godin puts .09's on almost all Electrics, then why not this one?

It turned out great. Always in tune, powerful sound thanks to those P-Rails and better action. I'm not an advocate of extra light strings. I basically learned to play lead on an acoustic. I found that learning on a higher gauge made things much better for me when i finally did get an electric guitar. I usually only use .10's even on my Strat and SG. Sometimes I even go a little heavier. I find the stability and tone much better in higher gauges.

But, lighter strings on my Icon seem to have made a great improvement. I recommend that anyone who owns one of these scream machines try them. I was surprised that the tone wasn't significantly effected on the higher strings at all.

Mission accomplished!
Most Godin have a 25 1/2 scale length (like a Strat) thus the 9 gauge. The Icon has a 24 3/4 (like a Les Paul) thus the 10 gauge. It sounds like maybe the nut needed some filing or lubrication, it was probably just binding. If you are happy with 9's on there than that's all that matters. You should be able do some awesome bends!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:08 AM

Default godin

Still am amazed at the sound quality I'm getting with.09's on my Icon. Since I learned solely on an acoustic, I almost don't notice the better bends. I know it must be easier but my fingers really can't tell the difference between .09 and .10. I can tell the difference between a low E at .46 vs .42.

I'm still singing Godin's praises! I just did a comparison between my Godin's Session and Icon 2 Conv. I have come to the conclusion that. for me the ideal guitar would be a
Session Plus. The Session plus has better Godin 2 Single Coils and the Re-voicer. It probably has the same ceramic magnet based Humbucker, but it puts out 14.5.

The Session and the P-90 Icon would be all I need. I think there's going to be a guitar sale at my place!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:20 AM
Guest4562

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael s View Post
I've been following this thread with interest and have a question. Which Godin model or which Godin models have piezo? Also what is your opinion of the acoustic sound from the Godin model with piezo? I'd love to have a light weight guitar that I can play acoustic and/or electric. I should add, I play rhythm guitar in a classic rock band sometimes and the acoustic piezo has to be loud enough to be heard (we don't play crazy loud). thanks, michael s.
Actually, my Parker p-38 had the best piezo sound. A great, inexpensive gigging guitar.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:44 AM

Default Piezo

Godin makes many guitars with built in Piezo acoustic systems. I couldn't tell you what they all are off the top of my head. Check their Web site. There's lot's of information there about their many models.

I've never played a Parker but always wanted to. As for which does a better acoustic sound, I have no idea. I do know to always expect solid design from Godin and that they were at the forefront of working with L.L. Baggs and Fishman developing the whole concept. they aslo make guitars with Piezo and Synth Access.

I think, tech-wise they are pretty much at the head of the pack.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:00 AM
Guest4562

I've got a Godin and a Parker. To my ear, the Parker has a better piezo sound. Wasn't what I was expecting, but there ya' are.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:03 AM

Default Parker

I tried to try out a Parker but no one carries them around here. I've heard nothing but great things about them. I did get a phone number but it was to a residence. Is that the way they market their products or do any music store stock these things? I hear the necks are fantastic.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:52 AM

Default Godin string advice?

Hi everybody. I just picked up a new Godin 5th Avenue with a P90. It needs a setup and I'm not sure what the best string choice would be. Any suggestions? Mostly going to be playing blues. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:04 AM

Antfarm - I use Martin Monel Retros on mine they are magnetic enough for the P90 - If you play unplugged a alot try a set of 13's they will wake her up.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:53 AM

^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^
Old 05-13-2022, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I tried to try out a Parker but no one carries them around here. I've heard nothing but great things about them. I did get a phone number but it was to a residence. Is that the way they market their products or do any music store stock these things? I hear the necks are fantastic.
Read up on the travails of their ownership and manufacturing over the years before buying one. That name is on guitars of wildly varying quality. The ones made when Ken Parker owned and ran things? Amazing guitars. Not my thing, but amazing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars