The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-08-2011, 08:03 PM

Default Cole Clark preamp/pickup improvement?

I’ve got a Cole Clark (FL1ac) and did a test recording using the inbuilt preamp/pickup system and have a couple of questions.

Test Recording

I don’t mind the sound produced but was wondering if a mini condenser microphone in the sound-hole might sound better? I could use 2 pencil condensers ( 1 toward the bridge & 1 toward the neck) as well I guess but want to keep it simple - any recommendations? Thanks guys.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:06 PM

Anybody ???
Old 06-09-2011, 05:45 PM

Pickups directly recorded alone will never sound particularly natural IMO.

You're far better using mics. Maybe take a pickup signal as well on another track simultaneously and blend it to add some beef to the sound.

The Cole Clark pickup is a revelation through a PA system though, it has to be said!

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 06-09-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
Pickups directly recorded alone will never sound particularly natural IMO.

You're far better using mics. Maybe take a pickup signal as well on another track simultaneously and blend it to add some beef to the sound.

The Cole Clark pickup is a revelation through a PA system though, it has to be said!
Thanks for the input Rick - checked out some of your utube stuff by the way it sounds great!!!

I kinda like some aspects of the "un-naturalness" of the Cole Clark pickups. They definitely don't have that "plastic" kinda sound I've heard from many piezo systems in the past.

Was thinking maybe something to add some "sparkle" to the top end - small condensor mic (in the sound-hole???) maybe??? Maybe just eq for the bass end would be good enough??? Hmmm .... not sure ...
Old 06-14-2011, 05:30 AM

Guess I'll just have to try out a few different approaches and see what works ... not sure about using a pickup though...
Old 06-19-2011, 12:46 AM

Ok, I'll be trying out some condensers 2 c how it goes ... ... ...

Last edited by MickWilliams; 06-24-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:08 PM

Lightbulb

I'm going to try a SE4400a Studio Condenser Microphone over the next couple of days.

I'll try and capture the best possible sound and then use that as a reference point to tweak the controls on the Cole Clark.

It should be interesting exercise.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:26 AM

Wow, very cool. A lot of depth to this. Love it
Old 07-04-2011, 09:49 AM

Default Cole Clark preamp

I think some of the confusion about the best approach for amplifying Cole Clark guitars could be due to what I think is overpraise for their sound in these pages. The addition of the SBT transducer does help with the inherent problems with undersaddle amplification, but their is still something missing in the Cole Clark design as far as "plug and play" is concerned.

The SBT of the FL2AC that I owned broadened and deepend the sound, but at a cost of muddying the midrange. Combining the SBT and the UST helps prevent the characteristic overload and quack, especially when you are overly aggressive in strumming, but even "normal" strumming can yield a vague, unfocused sound for some chords. Single note articulation is pretty good. As usual, adding a microphone, especially for recording, helps with detail and shine.

Ultimately, I just couldn't get a satisfying (and I don't mean perfect) sound from a plug and play set-up with this guitar, although using a full range mixer with very good quality EQ helped.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtail View Post
I think some of the confusion about the best approach for amplifying Cole Clark guitars could be due to what I think is overpraise for their sound in these pages. The addition of the SBT transducer does help with the inherent problems with undersaddle amplification, but their is still something missing in the Cole Clark design as far as "plug and play" is concerned.

The SBT of the FL2AC that I owned broadened and deepend the sound, but at a cost of muddying the midrange. Combining the SBT and the UST helps prevent the characteristic overload and quack, especially when you are overly aggressive in strumming, but even "normal" strumming can yield a vague, unfocused sound for some chords. Single note articulation is pretty good. As usual, adding a microphone, especially for recording, helps with detail and shine.

Ultimately, I just couldn't get a satisfying (and I don't mean perfect) sound from a plug and play set-up with this guitar, although using a full range mixer with very good quality EQ helped.
Hey thanks for the info wagtail - much appreciated. I’ve been trying out a SE4400a Studio Condenser Microphone for a while now and am definitely leaning in that direction now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification