The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-03-2003, 12:04 AM

Default Bass Instructional Videos or Books

I'm looking for recommendations on excellent instructional bass videos or books. I am a beginner on the bass and am interested to play jazz, folk and pop on the bass.

By the way, my bass heroes are Ray Brown, Reggie Workman, Ron Carter, Leland Sklar and of course Stanley Clarke.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:46 AM

Question

I'm not a bass player...

Mel Bay has an *excellent* series of books for the guitar called Mastering the Guitar...

they seem to have now started a new series called Mastering the Bass (only one book/cd pack is out but it is going to be a 6-part series eventually) that *looks* likes it's going to have the same sort of jam-packed with exercises and play-a-long format as the guitar series....the author is Bruce Gertz...he has his own website...you can probably gather he's a serious musician...

I'd go to his website or just go to melbay.com and check it out...on mel bay's site they give samples and table of contents but it looks like for this book they messed up and gave a very incomplete table of contents...

the guitar books are 'beginner' note reading books that DO NOT stay at beginner level...

it's just a thought...
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 05-04-2003, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mapletrees
I'm not a bass player...

it's just a thought...

a better thought would be accurate information...

go to www.melbay.com

do a quick search on Gertz

click on his name and you'll see there are in fact two book/cd packs out so far...

the table of contents for book 2 shows how crammed with stuff they are...

there's also a review for book 1 ...

trout

I don't know if there's any tab...

world -> he11 -> handbasket.....love it....

Eric_H...did you ever make peace with your metrognome??????
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 05-04-2003, 08:37 AM

Thanks for all the information. I'll check it out.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:52 AM
I know that one

Livingston - I have two excellent books to help with Jazz Bass they are entitled Walking Bass Lines and More Walking Bass Lines and they come with CDs. I don't remember right off hand who put them out but I'll check and let you know.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:16 PM

Liv,

I am a bass player. My heroes are same as yours...add a few like Tony Levin, Hutch Hutchinson, James Jamerson, Verdine White, Bootsy...

If you like the jazz greats like Ray Brown and Ron Carter try "The Evolving Bassist" by Rufus Reid...a monster player in his own right. He has a website under his name. I've owned a copy since the early 70's. The gospel...everybody uses it.

Have fun and welcome to the deep zone!
Old 05-05-2003, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by charlemagne52
Liv,

I am a bass player. My heroes are same as yours...add a few like Tony Levin, Hutch Hutchinson, James Jamerson, Verdine White, Bootsy...

If you like the jazz greats like Ray Brown and Ron Carter try "The Evolving Bassist" by Rufus Reid...a monster player in his own right. He has a website under his name. I've owned a copy since the early 70's. The gospel...everybody uses it.

Have fun and welcome to the deep zone!
Rufus Reid. I may not have mentioned him, but he's one of my favorites too. I saw him once with Kenny Burrell. He had a bass that had some kind of device that clamped the E string at the nut. Forgive me if I have the descriptors wrong. He could release the device and the E would be lowered at least a whole step. Besides that, what a great bassist. I also grew up listeing to EW&F so I can appreciate the great Verdine White.

Anyway, I digress. Thanks for the tip. I'll check out Rufus Reid's website.

Best regards,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell