The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-02-2003, 06:51 AM

Question frequency

could somebody accurately, and more clearly explain the "frequency" function of guitar tuners?

I just read some of the posts in "Tuning Down a half step" and it makes me think I'm not using the frequency function of my tuner.....and well, actually I'm not using it at all....I leave it on 440 all the time, I think?

So what does it do? (BTW, I have a Korg CA-30)

'02 314ce-LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Poor
pipsqueak for President. The choice is clear.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all. ~ Michelangelo ~ (1474-1564, Italian Renaissance Painter, Sculptor) "
Old 05-02-2003, 07:53 AM

In 1939, an International Conference met in London and unanimously adopted 440 Hz as the standard frequency for the pitch A4, and that is the almost universal standard at present. Previously, the standard was A=435 (fixed, Paris Academy, 1859, as diapason normal; and confirmed, Vienna conference, 1885, as international pitch). The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) broadcasts a precise 440 Hz reference tone on its short wave radio station WWV (Along with time data). In the 1800's there was also Philharmonic Pitch, that of the London Philharmonic Orchestra. It varied from 1826, were A=433 Hz, and in 1845, was raised to A=455 Hz. Historically it has ranged from A=403 Hz to 567 Hz. !!!

In many places the pitch standards in actual use were strongly influenced by the way large permanently-installed pipe organs were tuned. Yet, of all the mechanical devices used to generate musical frequencies the vibrating air column of the pipe organ is the most sensitive to changes in temperature. Their frequency would therefore depend on what the temperature happened to be when they were adjusted.

Handel's tuning fork has been discovered to have a frequency of 422.5 Hz for that A, and the eras of Hayden, Mozart, Bach and Beethoven had pitch standards around that frequency. This means that their compositions are now played about 70 cents sharper than the originals.

-- the normal human ear can detect the difference between 440 Hz and 441 Hz.

The ability to change the tuning reference from 440 Hz on a tuner allows one to adjust their tuner to an other instrument's (without the ability to quickly retune, i.e., piano or organ) tuning reference. If the A4 on the piano or pipe-organ at the American Legion is actually 435 Hz, you can adjust your tuner to use this as a standard and then tune your guitar with it normally. For tuning down 1/2 step you could adjust your tuner's reference frequency to 415.3 Hz and then tune normally (E A D G B E), but you would be actually tuned to D# G# C# F# Bb D#. An adjust to 392 Hz would be one (whole) step down, then 370 Hz, 349.23 Hz, etc.

Last edited by Plexiprs; 05-02-2003 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:11 AM

Wow. I'd say you know your stuff about sound frequencies. One can sometimes get a good education here at the TGF.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:48 PM

Cut, paste, cut, paste.

Next post please.

Peace.

Doc
Old 05-02-2003, 09:14 PM

I used to accompany music on analog tape (i.e. casette). The pitch was always a bit low or high. I'd imagine that the frequency function could be handy to retune to meet an off-pitch recording.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell