The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-30-2003, 08:57 PM

Default Tuning Down A Half Step

Hey, what's up

I have been trying to learn a few songs that require me tuning the guitar down a half step. This probably sounds really dumb
( I'm embarrased to ask) but I just have not been able to understand how to do this. If you could let me know in some easier terms than I've found how to tune down a half step, I would really appreciate it: ) Again, I know it's prob. a dumb question but thanks for the help.

As always stay cool

Lucky owner of the best 310CE
Old 04-30-2003, 09:04 PM

PRS, hmmmmmmm Ok.........

Tune, from low to high as follows;

D# G# C# F# Bb D#,

instead of

E A D G B E

You can play the song perfectly fine WITHOUT tuning down, but it may be necessary for the vocalist to reach some notes, or for the bigger bottom low-tuning gives you. Also tuning down is common on 12-string based tunes.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:08 AM

Play the A string at the 6th fret and tune down the low E string to an octave below it. Then tune as normal from the fifth fret, since you now have the low E at D#, when you tune the second string(A) down it will now be at G#, and so on.

Alot of people tune this way all the time, and just capo at the first fret when they need standard tuning.

I hope this makes sense...

Jeff
Old 05-01-2003, 08:24 AM

I've been tuning to a 436 frequency on my tuner as opposed to 440, I don't think its a complete half step , but my voice sure does like it, and the strings feel great ! A little loser, enough to notice, but not too extreme.

I like it.....only problem I've found is when folsk come around to pick with me, I'm not in tune with everyone. .. . . however thats easily remedied. . .. .

regards,
DeadHead

Guitars

Martin Custom 000
Kopp Roy Smeck

Mandolins
'03 Gibson A5L
Old 05-01-2003, 09:21 AM

I had been playing mediums on my 12 string tuned down a whole step. I got tired of the effort needed to play the 12 that way. It was still a chore to handle the mediums. I went back to lights and tuned down a 1/2 step. I love it. It allows me to do a couple of soungs in the chord structure that I like, but in a better range for my voice. Did not need to tweak the truss rod either.

Mark
Old 05-01-2003, 11:06 AM
midge

Put your capo on the first fret and tune to EADGBE (standard tuning). Then take the capo off and you will be tuned down one half step. You will probably have to tweek a couple of strings though. The pressure of the capo will be removed and so a couple of strings will probably be flat.

midge
Old 05-01-2003, 01:55 PM

what tuner are you using? My tuners ( intellitouch, and Korg) both have an option for up to 6 b's per pitch. I reccomend buying yourself a $15 tuner. You could always do what Midge said also.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DeadHead
I've been tuning to a 436 frequency on my tuner as opposed to 440, I don't think its a complete half step , but my voice sure does like it, and the strings feel great ! A little loser, enough to notice, but not too extreme.

DeadHead
Using a Korg CA-30, I've been calibrating at 414. I think this is a half step, but am not 100% sure. Appreciate any correction if this is not right!

Whatever the case, my 410ce strung with 13-56s sure does boom! If you like the shimmer, such a setup may not be for you...

If at first you don't succeed, find comfort in the fact that the grapes were probably sour anyway...
Old 05-01-2003, 05:01 PM

Get an intellitouch and do the recommended tunings mentioned earlier. Check them all a couple times as each time you retune strings others can change slightly. I like the half step lower tuning. Easier to bend and just a relaxed feeling overall. Many songs have been recorded that way ... drove me crazy when I was first learning.
Old 05-01-2003, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Danzo
Many songs have been recorded that way ... drove me crazy when I was first learning.
Ain't that the truth!!!

I have a Korg tuner that I can set to 1/2 step down. I can set it down to a whole and 1/2 step if needed. It's great and takes out the guess work. If only I had it years ago... Heck, I wish I realized years ago that everything wasn't in concert pitch when playing with tapes. I thought the tape was dragging..
Old 05-01-2003, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DeadHead
I've been tuning to a 436 frequency on my tuner as opposed to 440, I don't think its a complete half step , but my voice sure does like it, and the strings feel great ! A little loser, enough to notice, but not too extreme.................
In Equal Temperament 1/2 step from A=440 would be G#=415.30
Old 05-01-2003, 08:39 PM

thanks for the advice everyone, I understand now what I've been missing. I actually have not been using a great tuner but from what everyone has said here, this weekend I'll be picking one up that can help me with this a lot more: ) Again, thanks for everything

Lucky owner of the best 310CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell