The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-28-2003, 08:40 PM

Default The Art of String Changing

I posted this at the end of one of my "replies" and I don't think anyone saw it:

I've never really mastered the art of string changing. I noticed that the factory does a great job and so do many others. How do you wind it up so neatly around the tuners? My strings always wrap around each other and doesn't look as nice as the "pros" do.

Thanks for any input!
'96 Yamaha FG-401(travel guitar!)
Old 04-28-2003, 09:35 PM

I assume you mean steel strings (nylon being a much bigger pain in the rear...). Well, it may be opposite what some of the more pro members of the TGF do, but here's my take on it. I remove the old string, feed the far end of the new string through the tuner just to keep it in place, and anchor the ball end using the corresponding bridge pin. Then I feed enough slack back through (towards the bridge) to allow me to have a short length of string to wind around the tuner. I put a kink in the string by bending it around the tuner, so that it stays put when I start winding, and then I wind until the string is taut and in tune.

This way I seem to have enough slack for one or two tuner rotations, yet not so much I run out of room on the tuning peg.

Lauren

"I love technology...but not as much as you you see..."

2011 Collings CJ sunburst
Old 04-28-2003, 10:38 PM

its all about slack. i do the oppostie of lauren, i anchor it in the bridge, then wind her up. after you get it anchored in the bridge and the machine "grabs it", you should be able to slide your fist between the string and fretboard.

call it psychological, but i like to have it wound up quite a bit. i fell like it gives more stability.

one very important part of staying in tune is to "stretch" out new strings before playing. to do this, go near the soundhole, or neck pickup, and pull away from the guitar. this allows the machines to get a tighter hold on the string and makes a huge difference in tuning stability. with my floyd rose equipped strat, i stay in tune with about triple the whammies now than i did before. pretty amazing stuff.

kyle
2002 Larrivée D-03 BW
Old 04-29-2003, 06:14 AM

i do it laurens way...takes less time (which can be valuable if you have to change between songs and you have impatient band members)
Old 04-29-2003, 06:29 AM

The neat tidy and orderly wraps can be accomplished by maintaining tension on the string while winding it around the post. A third hand is helpful, or creativity, like using your fist on the fingerboard ala kylec_te51, but I normally just pull straight back away from the nut. 3 to 4 wraps work for me.

Anyone ever noticed that the factory installed strings are cut dead as they exit the tuning post? Almost nothing is left on the "backside" on all the Taylors I've seen.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:45 AM

Plexiprs--

Thanks for mentioning the "keeping tension on the string" step. I forgot to note that, but it's something I normally do. You're right--it helps the string wind more neatly.

Lauren

"I love technology...but not as much as you you see..."

2011 Collings CJ sunburst
Old 04-29-2003, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lcogginz
Then I feed enough slack back through (towards the bridge) to allow me to have a short length of string to wind around the tuner.
If I may add to this... As a gauge to the slack length, I grasp the string (with string seated in the bridge, threaded thru the post and pulled finger tight) at the nut and pull it back to the first fret. This should give you a good three winds on all tuner posts. Take note of how the winds turn out and adjust the distance during the next string change.

I've done this the past three times I changed strings and it beats any guesswork, or laying the string up on three fingers, or third knuckle of the middle finger, or whatever technique I devised in the past. It's the quickest and neatest for me.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:11 AM

I have found Frank Ford's website invaluable for proper string changing and a host of other maintainence questions. Scroll down on this contents page to the changing strings information. I like pictures, and Frank has pictures. Guess I'm a visual learner. Here's the link:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html

Also, on the Taylor website, you can find the link to tech sheets. There is one on changing strings. This is helpful as well. You need adobe to download the tech sheets.

A lot of it is just experience and learning. The first couple of times is hard, but like anything else gets easier the more you do it. Good lick.

MAKE it a GREAT day!!!
Marge
And wrap it all around you." John Denver

Guitars: R.Taylors: Style I Brazillian/Sitka, Style I Quilted Mahogany/Swiss Moon Spruce; Taylors: JDCM, XXX-MC, 954ceL2, DDSM, XXXV-9string; Larrivee: koa/sitka parlor
Old 04-29-2003, 07:11 AM

I've always heard, and believed, that the less string you wind around the post, the better (less string wound means less string to stretch when tuned and helps strings stay in tune).

I seat the ball end in the bridge by first making sure the hole in the ball is parallel with the bridge and then pulling the string straight up while pushing down on the pin (you should hear the ball pop into the seated position).

I feed the string through the post hole (post hole is also parallel with bridge and nut) from inside to outside. Pull the string fairly snug. Wrap the string around the top of the post and feed it under the string where it first entered the post hole. Hold the string taught and wind her up. There will be only one or two wraps on the post.

Trim the string close to the post and tune.

For stringing nylon strings, this website (http://schrammguitars.com/stringingmethod.html) demonstrates the method I use (again, the less string wound, the better).

Lonny
Old 04-29-2003, 09:35 AM

Here is Taylor's tech sheet area. . . much on strings!!

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars...echsheets.html

Thanks for all of the input everyone!
Old 04-29-2003, 04:31 PM

How much time does it take y'all?

This last go-round I decided to time myself and got the job done in 13 minutes and change; I figure that's middle of the road. The funny part was that when I was done I noticed this red stuff on the B-string tuner, and it turned out to be a little of my blood. I hadn't even noticed I'd "stuck" myself in the end of my finger!
Old 04-29-2003, 05:15 PM

Takes me 20-30 minutes. More like 30 if I'm watching TV while doing it.

I wish I had a better technique than just sitting on the floor doing it. It gets awkward at times and the guitar slides around while I'm trying to string.

Any special way to keeping your guitar still while stringing?
Old 04-29-2003, 05:43 PM

I try to use as little srting as possible. I find that multiple wraps around the tuner leads to slipping. The frets.com site has great pics. The 2 most important ones are:

and

It's very important to keep the reverse tension on the string, keeping it tight on the post as you tune up. I rerely have more than 3/4 - 1 1/2 complete wraps around the post. Using the above method 'locks' the string and the multiple wraps are not necessary!

James
Old 04-29-2003, 06:35 PM

I know this subject has been discussed numerous times but it's great to bring it up again.

Next time, I will not wrap the string around the post two or three times and see how that works.

If I remember correctly from years back when I didn't wrap around at least once, the string broke. It broke as it exited the hole in the tuner post. Too much stress at the edge of the post hole from string tension and it wore the string to a breaking point. With one to three wraps under the exit point of the post hole, it seems to push up on the string and do away with that problem. Maybe the method shown in the pics does away with the stress I speak of even though it isn't wrapped around the tuner as I have been doing?? Who knows why I do what I do?? A couple of wraps does look neat.

I have to change strings this weekend and I'll test drive.

Last edited by nhsmitty; 04-30-2003 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:46 PM

Has anyone else ever used a drill (variable speed of course) or electric screwdriver with a bit that fits over the tuning keys? Takes all of 5 minutes for a 6 string and 15 minutes for a 12 string. Keeping constant tension on the string makes it nice and neat.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell