The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

View Poll Results: How much theory?
Music theory AND guitar theory. 44 66.67%
Just play the guitar, music theory is for losers! 11 16.67%
Music theory only. I play guitar because a piano is too big to carry around. 3 4.55%
Well, it has 6 stirings, and I think they named, uh, E, umm B, ...... 8 12.12%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2003, 06:58 PM

QUOTE]Originally posted by ahorsewithnonam

I have seen to many people take piano lessons or guitar lessons for years and years and have no feel what so ever as to the song. They are so mechanical reading their sheet music. They are completely lost with out it! They can not play without sheet music! This is sad for me.
[/QUOTE]

After reading your above comments again it occured to me that there are people out there that just don't have what I call a musical sense. These folks are the ones that need sheet music in front of them to play and cannot improvise at all despite knowing music theory.
My father, bless his heart, has been playing quitar for 60 years and still cannot "noodle" around or improvise. He just doesn't have that creative spark to do what alot of us take for granted.
He needs sheet music in front of him. Even then the music just doesn't flow.
Why some peole are like this and others not, I can only guess that it's something to do with your perception of the world around you and it's affect you and your ability to express those impressions. The more skilled you are with your instrument the easier it is to elaborate on those expressions.
Whoa! I'm getting into this way to deep. Sorry.
Baby
Yamaha G-65(classical)
+ assorted junky guitars
1928 Steinway Upright

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell