The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-12-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
You're getting a lot of undesirable room sound in that recording from all the hard surfaces. It still works to document "The song and/or how I perform it" mode.

One can reduce room sound with mic placement and type, but it'd be better if you can find a place with less reflective elements like that brick wall room, and/or treat the room. That room looked OK as a background, but otherwise it didn't help your video.

In another video I saw of yours from Jan 2021, you had a mic, and a different room. That one was not as bad with the room artifacts, but the room was still less than ideal for audio quality.

But again, I go back to goals, and what you want to expend toward those goals.

Thanks a lot for the reviews, will work on the room, I know it does not help at all.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:55 PM

Lots of great info in this thread, for sure. Of course, our respective video needs vary. I just ordered a Shure MV88 camera to record the audio as I shoot iPhone video of solo live-gig performances, because it’s super simple — no later synching of audio and video needed — and from what I’ve heard, the audio should be just fine for this type of video. Just looking for a good, not great, quality of audio for this purpose. The iPhone audio itself wasn’t horrible (again, for this purpose) so a little raising of the audio bar with this better mic, I’m sure (or Shure!) will be just what I’m looking for.
I’ll post some results when I can…
Best of luck to all!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 05-14-2022, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Lots of great info in this thread, for sure. Of course, our respective video needs vary. I just ordered a Shure MV88 camera to record the audio as I shoot iPhone video of solo live-gig performances, because it’s super simple — no later synching of audio and video needed — and from what I’ve heard, the audio should be just fine for this type of video. Just looking for a good, not great, quality of audio for this purpose. The iPhone audio itself wasn’t horrible (again, for this purpose) so a little raising of the audio bar with this better mic, I’m sure (or Shure!) will be just what I’m looking for.
Best of luck to all!
Hopefully, you also ordered a lightening extension cable so you can move the mic closer to you than the phone. That's the key.
Old 05-14-2022, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Hopefully, you also ordered a lightening extension cable so you can move the mic closer to you than the phone. That's the key.
Yup — already had one, fortunately!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 05-14-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Best of luck to all!
It will be better for sure. The closer mic using an extension cable is one of the techniques that Fran Guidry is demonstrating the use of on the Homebrewed website.

The larger problem with recording with your phone is it often has limiting, compression, and EQ baked into the input structure, so you have to live with what you get from the phone.
Old 05-16-2022, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
It will be better for sure. The closer mic using an extension cable is one of the techniques that Fran Guidry is demonstrating the use of on the Homebrewed website.

The larger problem with recording with your phone is it often has limiting, compression, and EQ baked into the input structure, so you have to live with what you get from the phone.
Rudy, thanks for hyping my LAMPG stuff (grin). I'm afraid I've gotten pretty lazy with the updates at Homebrewed Music, there's probably still some useful stuff there but I should offer some additional info more directly related to shooting video with a phone.

Add on audio for phones can come in two varieties - some use the phone mic circuitry and as you say there will be EQ and dynamics processing that may impact the recording. But others provide preamp and a/d and bypass all that processing. These tend to have lower noise and distortion. The device I've chosen is the iRig Pro Duo https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigproduo/ , it doesn't include a mic but the preamp is clean enough and offers enough gain to use a dynamic mic and it provides 48V phantom for condensers.

Here's a clip I shot using the Pro Duo with an iPhone:

The mics in this shot were a pair of "vintage" AT3035s, phone was an iPhone 11 Pro Max, and I did all the editing in the phone as well using iMovie.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD