The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-02-2022, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Kit Guitars....Anybody build them?

Back in the mid 90's I bought a Warmoth Strat copy that to this day is the best sounding and playing Strat I've ever touched. I got lucky when I found this jewel at a guitar show (see pic)

Fast forward to now and I hardly play electric at all but I find myself wanting to build a Telecaster just for something to do. I am fairly sold on getting a Stewmac kit but thought I'd ask here if anyone enjoys these types of projects. The only part of the process that worries me is finishing. I have little skill or experience in finishing wood so I know it won't be perfect no matter how many youtube videos I watch

Any thoughts/ideas/advise is welcomed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Warmoth Body.jpg (41.8 KB, 253 views)

Last edited by 29er; 01-02-2022 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Bad grammar!
Old 01-02-2022, 12:16 PM

You can get a pre-finished Telecaster body from Warmoth in any paint or stain finish you can imagine.
Old 01-02-2022, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

I have bought 2 Tele kits from SM. I bought the higher end Wilkinson kits. They are solid kits with descent parts. As with anything, the second one came out better because of what I learned from the first.

On both of those kits, I have since replaced the necks with an Allparts neck and different tuners. I like a bit beefier neck than what came with the kit.

In the end you have a descent guitar worth way less than what you have into it. Especially if you have to buy some tools. However, I really like the ones I've made.

More recently I built a Partscaster and just sourced everything for it. It can become quite a rabbit hole but lots of fun. I'm slowly collecting more parts for another build.

There are a few threads on here if you do a search,
Old 01-02-2022, 03:26 PM

I haven't built a guitar myself, but always interested. And there's been some mention of building and specifically the StewMac telecaster clone, recently. This one is Bluside's post as he was building one of those.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=623334

Most recent on building?
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...highlight=Kits
Old 01-03-2022, 12:04 AM

For finishing, there are many ways to go. If you want a perfect shiny sunburst, quite a bit of skill and patience is needed. I have a partscaster that the builder left feeling like wood and applied a thin layer of some furniture lacquer. Love that guitar.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 01-03-2022, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

I've been thinking about building one. My main motivation to build would be to use a neck with a 1-3/4" nut width, which I know Warmoth sells. Sure would be nice to have the same nut width on my electric as my acoustics.
Old 01-03-2022, 12:59 PM

It was a fun build, but too advanced for my skill set. My crowning achievement was taking two big, flat paddles(which were the headstocks) and making stylized Fender and Gibson replicas! No worries though, this will never be confused with the “lawsuit era” headstock debacle. Bahahaha!

Old 01-03-2022, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
It was a fun build, but too advanced for my skill set. My crowning achievement was taking two big, flat paddles(which were the headstocks) and making stylized Fender and Gibson replicas! No worries though, this will never be confused with the “lawsuit era” headstock debacle. Bahahaha!

The fun I could have with that! I really like the look, and the idea of a Mando up top. I think I know what my next project is going to be.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.bowman View Post
The fun I could have with that! I really like the look, and the idea of a Mando up top. I think I know what my next project is going to be.
And I’m sure you would do this project justice, S.bowman! Keep an eye out on eBay, that’s where I found this build kit.
Frank d.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Good info here. Thanks for the input. I keep going back & forth between a 50's blackguard or the more modern 60's kit, both the Stewmac Wilkinson updrade. I prefer a meatier neck profile and the 50's model gives me that but I also like rosewood fretboards. I guess the neck can also be swapped out later on. Still, I'm in no rush because it won't be warm enough in my garage to do any finish work until spring. I have time for research. Keep the info/advise/opinions coming!
Old 01-04-2022, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
Good info here. Thanks for the input. I keep going back & forth between a 50's blackguard or the more modern 60's kit, both the Stewmac Wilkinson updrade. I prefer a meatier neck profile and the 50's model gives me that but I also like rosewood fretboards. I guess the neck can also be swapped out later on. Still, I'm in no rush because it won't be warm enough in my garage to do any finish work until spring. I have time for research. Keep the info/advise/opinions coming!
You can buy a different pickguard for about $10. You don't need to use the one that comes with the kit. Both of the SM kits I put together came with white guards. I never installed them and bought a black guard for each of them.

The main reason I bought the modern kits was for the truss rod adjustment at the headstock.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:40 PM

Quote:

That's looks like a seriously cool instrument Frank!
Old 01-04-2022, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
That's looks like a seriously cool instrument Frank!
And now Dan, I’ll drop it off with you to rebuild it the right way😂😭😂
Thanks for the positive nod, my friend.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
And now Dan, I’ll drop it off with you to rebuild it the right way😂😭😂
Thanks for the positive nod, my friend.
I think it looks great the way it is Frank, I like the mando/Tele combo? And I bet the double strings sound good through a Tele pickup. I don't know if you've been following the threads on mandolins, but I finally found the one of my dreams, a Gibson F5G. It sounds very rock and roll! So you can see why I like that you incorporated a mando neck on your build.

This is what it sounds like (along with my 1954 reissue Les Paul and J45)...

Old 01-04-2022, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I think it looks great the way it is Frank, I like the mando/Tele combo? And I bet the double strings sound good through a Tele pickup. I don't know if you've been following the threads on mandolins, but I finally found the one of my dreams, a Gibson F5G. It sounds very rock and roll! So you can see why I like that you incorporated a mando neck on your build.

This is what it sounds like (along with my 1954 reissue Les Paul and J45)...

I thought my Eastman was beautiful, still do really, but that F5G is a stunner! And yes I've heard that clip before and said it would become your new muse!!! It sounds terrific.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars