The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-20-2024, 03:01 PM

Default 1st Bolt on Neck

This is my first bolt-on neck build, I have slotted/fretted the FB and glued it to the neck, and have a nice close "dry fit" at the heel and guitar body.
Do most apply a slight bit of glue to the underside of the FB over the soundboard, or is this left dry to facilitate easier neck removal for adjustment or other maintenance? Thanks for any advice.. so far it seems easier than dovetail the heel.. etc.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:12 AM

If the FB extension is not bolted on then I would recommend gluing it though I have had conversations with some who don't. To me it's part of the structure of the neck joint and also I could see there being some weird buzzing coming from a loose extension. I use hot hide glue for it's reversibility but Titebond is certainly fine too, and also reversible.

In fact the first time the guitar will need a neck adjustment on my guitars, which is the way Taylor did it in the 90's: a bolt on butt joint, all I need to do is remove the bolts and 'floss' the heel with a strip of sand paper to adjust the angle. It takes about ten minutes. If it requires a more dramatic angle change then the neck needs to be removed and a wedge shim placed under the extension.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:14 AM

Gluing the fretboard extension to the guitar top is common. It removes fairly easy with heat from a household iron.

There are other ways but that is probably the easiest.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

I am about to bolt on two necks of my first acoustic builds (at once) and I have a follow up question. How tight do those bolts/nuts need to be tightened (hand tight or socket wrench tight) and does anyone have any tips or mods (washers?) regarding this? I知 using two stew Mac kits so I知 tightening nuts on the bolts.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcf View Post
I am about to bolt on two necks of my first acoustic builds (at once) and I have a follow up question. How tight do those bolts/nuts need to be tightened (hand tight or socket wrench tight) and does anyone have any tips or mods (washers?) regarding this? I知 using two stew Mac kits so I知 tightening nuts on the bolts.
Just snug them down. I don't use a torque wrench but if I did I'd say about 7-10Nm. Basically snug it down and then with the end of your wrench (I use Allen keys) give it one final ooomph. You are NOT tightening lug nuts on your car wheels.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcf View Post
You're tightening nuts so put your socket on one of those socket drivers that looks like a screwdriver and tighten with that. Or a short handle 1/4" ratchet. If the neck block wood starts to compress, thats more than enough.
Old 02-25-2024, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Good tips. Thanks gentlemen!
Old 02-27-2024, 08:25 PM

Robbie O'Brien says to tighten until you hear a crack and then back it off an 1/8th of a turn or something like that. Ha! He was kidding of course.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair