The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2019, 07:45 AM

Default New "Storia" line from Yamaha

I just saw this on Music Radar:

Yamaha debuts eye-catching Storia acoustic guitars

The promo video is obviously not designed for anyone who is actually interested in the guitar itself; it's designed more for those interested in the fallacy of "Guitar Lifestyle", LOL.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:09 AM

That video is certainly, uh, "selling the sizzle", as they say.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post

The promo video is obviously not designed for anyone who is actually interested in the guitar itself; it's designed more for those interested in the fallacy of "Guitar Lifestyle", LOL.
The guitar lifestyle isn't a fallacy. Music brings people closer together, and playing a musical instrument is one of the few authentic human experiences we have left in this techno world.

I guess the fallacy of the video is that anyone can just pick up the guitar and start getting everyone together singing. You do have to put in hours and hours of practice, and you do have to tune the thing.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:23 AM

I’m on the fence about the contrasting color inside the guitar, but on the whole, these look really nice. I like the simple trim and appointments. Visually, they remind me of both Martin’s 15-style guitars and Taylor’s Academy series.

The promo video and visual branding of the product perhaps borrow a little too heavily from the tech/startup world, but I don’t see anything all that dissimilar from videos from other guitar brands. Reminds me a lot of some MXR pedal videos that Dunlop has done in recent years.

Kudos to Yamaha for doing something a little different here — and the idea of a guitar as a centerpiece in a modern home rather than an AI-driven piece of tech hardware is fine by me.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:44 AM

Google "50s Fender guitar ads" and check the images you pull up. You get a lot more than Fender ads but it is a good place to start. The sizzle has been sold for a long time. I am not sure Yamaha's pitch is that much different. As for guitar lifestyle? I get that they are suggesting a guitar will fit into ones lifestyle, not selling guitar lifestyle. Hey if it gets folks to put a guitar in their living room. I say OK. And if some actually learn to play. Oh yeah.

I liked it. I must be getting sentimental in my old age.

hunter
Old 06-20-2019, 10:10 AM

The problem that I have with the promo video is the music. The first ten seconds are OK, assuming the guitar sound I'm hearing is the actual guitar in the promo (and I'm guessing it is not). But then the guitar sound becomes irrelevant, or a minor accompaniment at best. Seems ridiculous to me that you'd be promoting a guitar with a soundtrack that is not mostly guitar.

I'm sure Yamaha's sales and marketing department knows what it's doing, so I understand why my view might be "wrong".
Old 06-20-2019, 10:36 AM

My first impression: Storia = FS8xx + pickup + brass bridge pins + aesthetic changes for more $$$ (presumably)
Old 06-20-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
The sizzle has been sold for a long time. I am not sure Yamaha's pitch is that much different. As for guitar lifestyle? I get that they are suggesting a guitar will fit into ones lifestyle, not selling guitar lifestyle. Hey if it gets folks to put a guitar in their living room. I say OK. And if some actually learn to play. Oh yeah.
hunter
I will admit to being a curmudgeon when it comes to ads. Advertisements of that sort could just as well be for anything. You could pretty much shoot that ad virtually the same way, but substitute the guitar with, say, a toaster. "Gee, look at how happy those people are, sharing #preciousmoments with their new toaster! Perhaps I, too, would have beautiful friends and a beach house were I the possessor of that handsome appliance!"

I am such an old poop that it bothers me when commercials don't mention a product's virtues, but instead simply hire a bunch of actors to pretend that they are happy as can be due to their basking in the aura of said product. it makes me wonder whether they're hiding something-- like maybe the product actually isn't good. I realize I am among a small minority on this.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:52 PM
Guest 728

"Yamaha reckons these will make an ideal first guitar or an acoustic that will complement your home décor."

Coming soon to an Ikea near you!
Old 06-20-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
"Yamaha reckons these will make an ideal first guitar or an acoustic that will complement your home décor."

Coming soon to an Ikea near you!
Don't poo poo decor! The guitar on my wall speaks volumes about me. It's slightly cracked with no strings attached.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax Player Guy View Post
I will admit to being a curmudgeon when it comes to ads. Advertisements of that sort could just as well be for anything. You could pretty much shoot that ad virtually the same way, but substitute the guitar with, say, a toaster. "Gee, look at how happy those people are, sharing #preciousmoments with their new toaster! Perhaps I, too, would have beautiful friends and a beach house were I the possessor of that handsome appliance!"

I am such an old poop that it bothers me when commercials don't mention a product's virtues, but instead simply hire a bunch of actors to pretend that they are happy as can be due to their basking in the aura of said product. it makes me wonder whether they're hiding something-- like maybe the product actually isn't good. I realize I am among a small minority on this.
"...sharing precious moments with their toaster". That really cracked me up! Thanks for enlivening a dull evening!
Old 06-21-2019, 07:01 PM

I really don't understand the video. Why would these guitars be any more likely to be passed around and strummed by everyone you know than any other guitar?
Old 06-21-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
I really don't understand the video. Why would these guitars be any more likely to be passed around and strummed by everyone you know than any other guitar?
That's called branding. The purpose of advertising is usually to get people to make an irrational decision.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
I guess the fallacy of the video is that anyone can just pick up the guitar and start getting everyone together singing. You do have to put in hours and hours of practice, and you do have to tune the thing.
NOW you tell me! Crap... I have to tune it and practice?
Breedlove Pursuit Concert CE
Songbird Phoebe hammered dulcimer
and some ukes
Old 06-21-2019, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Smooth jazz, made up models, a spotless malibu house.
Kinda wish Richie Havens would walk in show them how it's done:

https://youtu.be/41tLbEHHefI?t=1507

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion