The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-18-2020, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
** Great looking room Keith.Rogers. Love all the colors, very attractive. Having a nice room to work in can make a difference for creativity and longivity. I use the same music stand as you do, with the rigid plastic top. Did not want to bang my guitar into a metal frame.
+ In your free standing frame, what did you First cover that with? Looks like you maybe covered it first with something else before the final cloth covering?
Fabrics were in the "ends" bins at Jo-Anne and Wal-Mart. My wife thinks it's a horror, but, yeah, it's actually Ok to sit in there. I've also got an antique quilt from my great aunt (died before I was born, so probably ~100 years old or a little less), and one other odd bit of fabric on another panel. (24 batts of Safe'n'Sound in all in that small room.)

Those gobos were the last 2 things I built to use up 4 remaining batts from the 2nd bundle, and are covered in thin muslin. Early on I was priming the wood with Kilz, but the odor lingered a bit long, and I was using denser material anyway, so stopped doing that. It really shows on these panels, and I've considered putting a 2nd layer on since they're pretty boring, too. You can see the one has a fabric piece we picked up in Granada tossed over it. Toying with getting an old poster transferred to fabric for the other, but have not got around to a decision.

You can use contact type cement to tack the fabric down, but I don't know if it will hold up. I stapled everything. If you are really careful, contact cement and well-mitered corners would probably look good, but I can tell you the fabric runs into some money even buying ends. I chose a method that was functional, and didn't have to toss mistakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Those knots in the frame look like they have something very translucent over them, like a thin muslin. I could be wrong, though. ...
Nope, that's it, exactly. Was in a hurry and needed to get the batts/bundle off the floor in the garage
Old 07-20-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Tbh, not much "woodworking" experience required. If you have a tape measure, a screwdriver, a hand saw and a drill, and can screw two pieces of wood together, you can make simple frames out of 1x4s. Use a staple gun to attach the fabric to the frame.

My point would be that a frame isn't required when using 4" OC703 or OC705. And in my particular case framing would have been an impediment rather than a benefit. My 8' ceiling height means two 4' panels wedge in place and are self-supporting.

Omitting the frame also made for lighter weight and easier mounting for the ceiling panels.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD