The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-22-2024, 07:43 AM

Have owned a few Gibson Les Pauls over the last 30 years.

A couple of my custom shop that I sold many years ago.

Closing in on my 7th decade and do not play much anymore. Still...get the itch every so often to pick up another one. Do not want to spend a lot of dough and was leaning towards a used Gibson or Heritage.

This recently popped up and has peaked my interest. Specs are quite nice at this respective price point.

https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/p/Ele...m/Alpine-White
Old 04-22-2024, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I completely resonate with this sentiment. I accept that it's irrational. A good one is hard to buy, and I already own better guitars. I've got a PRS SC that's just like the one pictured above. But, there's a stand over in the corner that keeps saying "put a Les Paul on me". If you're my age and you grew up with music when I grew up with music, there's a little spot in your soul that needs filling. I don't know how much longer I can resist.
I suspect I'm about your age and I understand completely. When I was a kid, I saw guys that became my guitar heroes playing Telecasters and Gretsch guitars. Then in my teens and college years they were playing Les Pauls and 335s too. I now have one of each of those in my music room.

Actually, my 335 is the MIJ Epiphone Elitist version, so it doesn't really count in a technical sense, but my Elitist is every bit as good as any Gibson 335 I've picked up, so it satisfies my itch and checks that box for me.

For some reason (and I have no idea why), I never had a burning desire to own a Stratocaster even though it was played by countless guitar heroes.
Old 04-23-2024, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Growing up in the 70s we all started off playing with the idea of if we could just find a way to have a Les Paul and a Strat, all our hopes and dreams would come true. Then later we said, yeah but you need a 335, SG, and maybe a Tele. By the time you get enough electrics to fill your sonic needs, you usually end up with about 10 must haves.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
Growing up in the 70s we all started off playing with the idea of if we could just find a way to have a Les Paul and a Strat, all our hopes and dreams would come true. Then later we said, yeah but you need a 335, SG, and maybe a Tele. By the time you get enough electrics to fill your sonic needs, you usually end up with about 10 must haves.
Yes, there seems to be no end to our needs. I am just as guilty as any other guitar player, maybe more so.

I don't have an SG, however, but I do have a Rickenbacker 360-12 which is probably not on everyone's list. I've also got a nice Eastman Archtop jazz guitar that is pretty cool.

I can't help looking at so many of the Gibson LP guitars coming out now and marveling at how good they look. I'm not into all this artificial aging, but buying a Custom Shop 1959 that hasn't already been beat up certainly has appeal, although the price stops me in my tracks. It's too late in life for me to spending that kind of money anymore.

- Glenn
Old 04-23-2024, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Hey folks, I have a Telecaster Deluxe, and for no particular reason, I want a Les Paul. Just want to plug it straight into a Marshall amp and crank out Malcolm Young riffs (I know, it's a Gretsch Jet) and classic rock stuff. The tele is fine. I really like the neck and the control layout. Just want, not need.

Questions in my head:
[*]necks are really different. Is one generally preferred for lead work?
No.

Quote:
[*]Anyone get the 50's humbuckers and wish they'd have gotten the slightly hotter 60s?. . .

No. Just remember: You can overdrive an underwound pickup but you can't underdrive an overwound pickup. Concern yourself with the pickup's quality, not its output. A good pickup is better than a loud pickup.

Quote:
[*]P-90? Might make a good contrast to the Tele, but I may or may not keep the tele and I want that core rock sound. Not into hum or noise.

If you can't rock on P-90s, you can't rock. Just try playing a few different Leses to get a sense of what's what.

Quote:
[*]There are SO MANY OF THEM! FFS. Where to start?

With test drives. We can't tell you what guitars will sound or feel like. You need to go play them yourself.

Quote:
[*]Does the chambering affect sound in a MEANINGFUL way for someone who isn't deep down the electric tone rabbit hole?

It adds resonance, which lots of people like. A side effect is that the guitar weighs less. Again, the only way to know whether the difference is meaningful to you is to go to play some and compare. We can't hear through your ears.

Quote:
[*]Would you say screw the LP, get a PRS singlecut? Why or why not?
I would not. Paul Reed Smiths are to electrics what Taylors are to acoustics: the other whte meat.

Quote:
[*]Other thoughts?
I love the Tele control layout and hate the Les layout. Four knobs? Why, oh, why? I've owned an ES-335 and an ES-345, and I spent all my time looking for tones. With Teles and Strats there's a lot less knob twirling and a lot more music-making.

Quote:
Thanks so much you GAS enablers!
You're welcome!

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 04-23-2024 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-23-2024, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
No. Just remember: You can overdrive an underwound pickup but you can't underdrive an overwound pickup. Concern yourself with the pickup's quality, not its output. A good pickup is better than a loud pickup.
First point is really helpful, thank you. The second...I don't know what makes a pickup high or low quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
I love the Tele control layout and hate the Les layout. Four knobs? Why, oh, why? I've owned an ES-335 and an ES-345, and I spent all my time looking for tones. With Teles and Strats there's a lot less knob twirling and a lot more music-making.
Yeah I have a Tele Deluxe with 4 knobs, fine for me. It's about the position of the knobs, not the number.

About the "play them" comments, I will. Also looking to hear the opinions of experienced electric players as I consider things. Both are useful.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 04-23-2024, 05:04 PM

I need 2 tone pots on my Les Paul because to have the sound I want from my neck PU the bridge is too bright. I can balance volume with pickup height but on my 330 I still need the treble vol. for balance.
But for those who use their volume knob while playing yep, a Tele layout is easier. I use a volume pedal .. and a GE7 as a preamp when needed.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Hey folks, I have a Telecaster Deluxe, and for no particular reason, I want a Les Paul. Just want to plug it straight into a Marshall amp and crank out Malcolm Young riffs (I know, it's a Gretsch Jet) and classic rock stuff. The tele is fine. I really like the neck and the control layout. Just want, not need.

Questions in my head:
  • necks are really different. Is one generally preferred for lead work?
  • Anyone get the 50's humbuckers and wish they'd have gotten the slightly hotter 60s? Is that even correct?
  • P-90? Might make a good contrast to the Tele, but I may or may not keep the tele and I want that core rock sound. Not into hum or noise.
  • There are SO MANY OF THEM! FFS. Where to start?
  • Does the chambering affect sound in a MEANINGFUL way for someone who isn't deep down the electric tone rabbit hole?
  • Would you say screw the LP, get a PRS singlecut? Why or why not?
  • Other thoughts?

Thanks so much you GAS enablers!
I just happened to stumble into owning a Les Paul recently, a 50's heritage Standard. I'm very glad I did. They are fantastic guitars so I'd say go for it, you will not be disappointed. Something about the short scale and the back angle of the neck that just makes them so playable. The 50's model Burstbuckers are fantastic imo. The one I got just so happens to be a light weight one but chambering is a great way to lose weight and I doubt you would have any perceived change in tone.

PRS is a nice guitar but it's not a LEs Paul. Again the angle of the neck and the short scale has a lot to do with making a Paul a Paul.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I just happened to stumble into owning a Les Paul recently, a 50's heritage Standard. I'm very glad I did. They are fantastic guitars so I'd say go for it, you will not be disappointed. Something about the short scale and the back angle of the neck that just makes them so playable. The 50's model Burstbuckers are fantastic imo. The one I got just so happens to be a light weight one but chambering is a great way to lose weight and I doubt you would have any perceived change in tone.

PRS is a nice guitar but it's not a LEs Paul. Again the angle of the neck and the short scale has a lot to do with making a Paul a Paul.
Thanks! Helpful comments, appreciated.
Old 04-25-2024, 12:33 PM

Quote:
First point is really helpful, thank you. The second...I don't know what makes a pickup high or low quality.

Yeah I have a Tele Deluxe with 4 knobs, fine for me. It's about the position of the knobs, not the number.

About the "play them" comments, I will. Also looking to hear the opinions of experienced electric players as I consider things. Both are useful.

Thanks for the responses!
Charlie makes a really important point if you want the guitar for more than always playing overdrive tone. My guitar with Lollar's low wind Imperial actually sounds more like associates' honest vintage Gibsons than many modern ones I tried (mostly 335s). It absolutely drives the amps to overdrive and is pedal friendly. It also has much nicer less driven and jazzy tone.

Don't take this as one right, one wrong or a good/bad choice. Just know there's a versatility option.

Also on "good" most consider the Lollars very well respected and I've played same Collings with the very expensive Throbak pickups. The latter were definitely into the realm of diminishing returns as you spend.

It is very much a Gibson brand vs type you are after you'll have their pickups to start. Another Les Paul style would likely have other choices.

The way you like nice bicycles and skis, you might really like the Collings version of a Less Paul style. They might not be as competitive with price now.

The way you also like acoustic and all sorts of nice things in life, try ES-335 and similar too.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Charlie makes a really important point if you want the guitar for more than always playing overdrive tone. My guitar with Lollar's low wind Imperial actually sounds more like associates' honest vintage Gibsons than many modern ones I tried (mostly 335s). It absolutely drives the amps to overdrive and is pedal friendly. It also has much nicer less driven and jazzy tone.

Don't take this as one right, one wrong or a good/bad choice. Just know there's a versatility option.

Also on "good" most consider the Lollars very well respected and I've played same Collings with the very expensive Throbak pickups. The latter were definitely into the realm of diminishing returns as you spend.

It is very much a Gibson brand vs type you are after you'll have their pickups to start. Another Les Paul style would likely have other choices.

The way you like nice bicycles and skis, you might really like the Collings version of a Less Paul style. They might not be as competitive with price now.

The way you also like acoustic and all sorts of nice things in life, try ES-335 and similar too.
The key difference being I’m actually quite good at skiing and mountain biking…
Old 04-25-2024, 04:27 PM

Quote:
The key difference being I’m actually quite good at skiing and mountain biking…
I can relate except for things are not the same at retirement age but I'm not quitting.

I don't know all the gear you have but would suggest some shopping/testing where you use same amp even if different stores - most should have a Princeton Reverb Reissue for example. If what you are really after is overdriven tone it might not make so much difference, but I really came to enjoy the overall more versatile pickups.

A rather traditional Les Paul might also have you notice the fretboard radius from a Fender if your Fender is a 7.5 or 9.5.

What happened to me is picking up a Les Paul sparked ES-335 interest which led to other decisions LOL. The delayed gratification and trying lots of stuff did honestly cut the buy and/or trade habit.
Old 04-25-2024, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I can relate except for things are not the same at retirement age but I'm not quitting.

I don't know all the gear you have but would suggest some shopping/testing where you use same amp even if different stores - most should have a Princeton Reverb Reissue for example. If what you are really after is overdriven tone it might not make so much difference, but I really came to enjoy the overall more versatile pickups.

A rather traditional Les Paul might also have you notice the fretboard radius from a Fender if your Fender is a 7.5 or 9.5.

What happened to me is picking up a Les Paul sparked ES-335 interest which led to other decisions LOL. The delayed gratification and trying lots of stuff did honestly cut the buy and/or trade habit.
I'm with you, I'm in no hurry and focused on learning right now over gear. But gear is fun, and Les Paul's are are associated for me with so much music I grew up loving, and I dig the look. I'm shallow about such things, and I don't know enough about electric guitars to make a move into some ultra high-end guitar. I'll just still want a Les Paul if I don't get one.

This is what I grew up on. And look, it's a Goldtop Les Paul to kick things off...

This guy absolutely rips BTW.

Old 04-26-2024, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I'm with you, I'm in no hurry and focused on learning right now over gear. But gear is fun, and Les Paul's are are associated for me with so much music I grew up loving, and I dig the look. I'm shallow about such things, and I don't know enough about electric guitars to make a move into some ultra high-end guitar. I'll just still want a Les Paul if I don't get one.

This is what I grew up on. And look, it's a Goldtop Les Paul to kick things off...

This guy absolutely rips BTW.

That was awesome!
Old 04-27-2024, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
That was awesome!
I am forced to agree. I just quit playing guitar.

Last edited by AX17609; 04-27-2024 at 08:11 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars