The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-25-2018, 01:08 PM

Default Stay Tuned on Savoy

Hi Everyone,

I put new strings on the Savoy yesterday. This is probably the worst set up I have seen come out of a factory in a long time. This poor baby is so strangled, the tension set so ridiculously high, that it is unplayable. It's miserable listening to it and I know she will have a sweet tone once adjusted.

I am taking it to John in the next couple of days. I should have an update in a couple of weeks or so.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 09-25-2018, 03:10 PM

No worries! I bought a new Rainsong H-OM and it was barely playable. Shaved the bridge saddle, tightened the truss rod and a minor tweak to the nut and the guitar was transformed. It’s now one of the best playing Guitars in my stable.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 11-02-2018, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Was wondering how your Savoy setup turned out.
Also what strings did you put on her?
I just got my Savoy Sunburst, beautiful guitar... waiting to get her setup.
Plugged in, the strings are not at all balanced. The high E is lost while the B is a raging monster.
Yes, it needs a good setup all around.
I am working through string choice as well.
Looking to round out the sound a bit, with hopefully a set of strings that will bring more bass.
Any insight would be most welcome.
Thanks
-Jacqueléne

Last edited by Lucky Ambrose; 11-02-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:20 AM

Still waiting on said Savoy...he had some knee surgery issues...he has my X20 as well....3 weeks now....sigh...

Did a good job on the X7 and X10 so there is that.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-02-2018, 06:34 PM

Having played Kramster's X7 and X10, I can attest to the fine quality of the set-up. Well worth the wait. Patience is a virtue??
Old 11-03-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
Hi Everyone,

I put new strings on the Savoy yesterday. This is probably the worst set up I have seen come out of a factory in a long time. This poor baby is so strangled, the tension set so ridiculously high, that it is unplayable. It's miserable listening to it and I know she will have a sweet tone once adjusted.

I am taking it to John in the next couple of days. I should have an update in a couple of weeks or so.
How can the "tension" be set high if the guitar is tuned to pitch? Are you just referring to high action at the nut or saddle?
Old 11-06-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post
How can the "tension" be set high if the guitar is tuned to pitch? Are you just referring to high action at the nut or saddle?
They set the action so high that it won't stay in tune. John Cotter the set up tech said companies typically do this as it is easier to lower the action than raise it of course. But this truly is bad.

Yes, I figured the hold up was with John's knee. Darn it, but I know he will get to it...Totally worth the wait.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-06-2018, 01:41 PM

It and the X 20 are done...Ill get it today or tomorrow
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-07-2018, 12:30 PM

I have a question about this thread. The OP seems to have significant set-up issues which I would guess I would not expect to have on such an expensive guitar. Others posting are discussing set-up issues with Emeralds and a Rainsong as well. I know that many folks simply get all their incoming guitars set up the way they like it, and that is understandable.
I guess I am wondering whether these issues are significant enough that one would expect them to be handled before the instruments leave the factory. We are talking about man-made materials here that are not prone to moving around once initially set-up.
I'm just curious.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 11-07-2018, 02:05 PM

My 2016 Emerald X7 and 2017 Emerald X20 arrived from Emerald Guitar with their standard set up, which I could find no fault in, except I'm not a fan of the D'Addario strings that come on Emerald Guitars
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 11-07-2018, 04:40 PM

Hi, billyg,
By virtue of what a set up is it can’t be done at the factory for each person’s needs. Each guitar I own has gone to my favorite guitar tech/luthier for a set up that reflects the way I like to play. This doesn’t mean that there was an issue with the guitar. It means that I like the guitar set up in a certain way.
Barb
Old 11-07-2018, 07:36 PM
Guest 928

Every one of my four nylon strung Emerald guitars was set up perfectly. The X7, nylon string electric was a little high, but one less shim in the pickup and the guitar was right on.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
Hi, billyg,
By virtue of what a set up is it can’t be done at the factory for each person’s needs. Each guitar I own has gone to my favorite guitar tech/luthier for a set up that reflects the way I like to play. This doesn’t mean that there was an issue with the guitar. It means that I like the guitar set up in a certain way.
Barb
What she says!
Old 11-08-2018, 01:40 PM

Ditto on what Barb said. Most of my guitars (Emerald, Rainsong, Blackbird and Taylor) still have the original factory set-ups without any modification. On a few instruments over the years, I have tweaked the set-up slightly to better suit my taste.

I don't want to speak for Kindness, but she has access to a local wizard, and so she has VERY high standards for "good set-ups" - as she likes them.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:42 PM

So he improved playability on said Savoy a lot, read "Yay" ...aaannnnd ...now my X 20 is even more amazing if that was even possible...plays really really nice and plugged in a much more balanced ... If I saw more of the world I would no doubt say world class... or something like that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber