The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Forget the reviews. People give rave reviews for BMW and Mercedes, but you'll never see me owning one.

Life is too short to play a guitar you hate. I tell you what, if I wanted a small mahogany box (or at least a mahogany topped) guitar with a comfortable neck, you've GOT to give one of the new Taylor 322 12-frets a look. What a great little guitar.

Forget the reviews, except for the one I’m about to give you. :-)
Old 09-25-2018, 07:53 AM

Maybe it's not the brand but the type of strings you are using. On my 000-15 I like the PB's for a dark, heavy sound, but sometimes I use 80/20's for a more balanced sound that has clear highs without being tinny sounding. If you go to the website for several manufacturers you can find a chart with the different strings they make and the type of sounds they produce. That may give you a direction for what you are looking for. If that doesn't help, you probably will need to look for another type of guitar. Trying new things is half the fun. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:35 AM

Fred,
I have tried to like all Mahogany guitars for several years.
The tone is so different from Spruce.
After playing an all Mahogany guitar for a few songs, I loose interest in the tone.
I don't say this as an insult to all Mahogany but it just isn't the tone that I prefer.
Perhaps this is what is happening to you.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Fred,
I have tried to like all Mahogany guitars for several years.
The tone is so different from Spruce.
After playing an all Mahogany guitar for a few songs, I loose interest in the tone.
I don't say this as an insult to all Mahogany but it just isn't the tone that I prefer.
Perhaps this is what is happening to you.
You maybe right with this one. Does bother me I have to say.
On my mind after I play the guitar for a while.
A few of my mates don't like the guitar (mostly electric players) and others who like blues enjoy the guitar.
Tried to sell it in the past but of course folks wanted silly cheap money for it.

If I didn't mistakenly sold my Cole Clark FL2 Cutaway some years ago to pay the mortgage I wouldn't have had a need to buy the Martin in the first place.

Dilemma as I know its a great guitar overall.

As the guy in the shop said- 'mate its a Martin!'
1978 Greco LP EG 1000
Yamaha THR10
Vox Pathfinder
Vox Adio Air
Old 09-26-2018, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post
I’m a strummer and a flatpicker and play my 000-15sm more than anything else
The truth is you can play (strum/flat pick/fingerpick) anything on any guitar. However an all mahogany guitar won't be as loud or bright as one with a spruce top so it lends itself better to fingerpicking. (There's a reason you don't turn up to a bluegrass rehearsal with your Martin 000-15 that's all).
Old 09-26-2018, 05:33 AM

Default Just cant get into my Martin 00015m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
The truth is you can play (strum/flat pick/fingerpick) anything on any guitar. However an all mahogany guitar won't be as loud or bright as one with a spruce top so it lends itself better to fingerpicking. (There's a reason you don't turn up to a bluegrass rehearsal with your Martin 000-15 that's all).

I would argue that the question isn’t whether it’s a good flatpicker, then, but whether it does so well in an ensemble. But yes, if I’m going to a bluegrass jam I’m taking my D18 or Adi topped Yairi. As for strumming, that’s the reason I like it so much. I think it’s the perfect strummer. My 000-15sm projects shockingly well.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

I tried a few all mahogany 15 models in shops and the didn't do much for me...until I was offered one on trade. It was a ten year old 000-15s. A 12 fret slothead that had been played a lot and had the pick wear to show for all that playing. but it sounded heavenly.

I believe that an all mahogany guitar takes more time to get played in that a similar spruce topped guitar. Give yours some time and play it a lot. Or look for an older broken in copy...
Old 09-26-2018, 09:30 AM

Everyone's taste is different, but I have found that the all hog is my favorite guitars.

I have two. Guild OM-120 and a Martin GPCX2AEMac.

The Guild has a bigger voice and I put the brighter .13 strings on it.

The Martin has a more mellow voice and I use the lighter .12 strings on it.

Different strokes.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:38 AM

been there, had one for years and just could never warm up to it
Old 09-26-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post
I would argue that the question isn’t whether it’s a good flatpicker, then, but whether it does so well in an ensemble. But yes, if I’m going to a bluegrass jam I’m taking my D18 or Adi topped Yairi. As for strumming, that’s the reason I like it so much. I think it’s the perfect strummer. My 000-15sm projects shockingly well.
Agreed, however for 000-15 players, finding out that the sound of their 000-15 all mahogany guitar when strummed and even flap picked is not the same as a spruce topped guitar may be disappointing for some. (Accepting that the sound will be mellower with less sustain).
Old 09-26-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehop71 View Post
Everyone's taste is different, but I have found that the all hog is my favorite guitars.

I have two. Guild OM-120 and a Martin GPCX2AEMac.

The Guild has a bigger voice and I put the brighter .13 strings on it.

The Martin has a more mellow voice and I use the lighter .12 strings on it.

Different strokes.
Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't that Martin HPL back and sides?
Not all solid Mahogany.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Most brand new guitars need some time to play in, during which time they can feel a bit one dimensional, brash, stiff, etc. It sounds like you've played this guitar well beyond that period.

Attachment to a guitar either happens or it doesn't. It sounds like you're simply not bonding with the instrument, which happens. I have been in a position where I've forced myself to try to like an instrument because I thought I should. It's a great relief to sell those guitars.

My recommendation would be to move on.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't that Martin HPL back and sides?
Not all solid Mahogany.
You are right L20A. That and the cutaway are probably the reason it has a smaller voice than the Guild.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:47 PM

All hog guitars are not for everybody. Sometimes you just have to move on. I love my 000-15sm, but I have three other flavors as well. Funny, I currently have zero spruce topped guitars.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:50 PM

I think every owner of a hardwood topped guitar does a diservice to themselves if they don’t try nickel strings. Try the Martin Monels. It will change your mind about all mahogany guitars.
1976 Martin 000-18
1989 Martin 000-16M
2015 Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy
2012 Gibson J-45 Custom
2017 Gibson J-35
1971 Alvarez K. Yairi Classical
1970 Lou J Mancuso nylon string hybrid
Harmony Sovereign H1260
30's MayBell Model 6
Nash MW-500
1998 Yamaha LS-10
2003 Tacoma EKK9

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion