The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-25-2018, 04:53 PM

Default Neck tip from Toni Marc, the master

I used to work for Toni as he assembled Fender parts into what was considered an original guitar. His tip was that every older Fender had a factory shim, no matter how thin, at the heel. He assembled a guitar without a shim, and the same guitar with one, the difference was night and day, a 25% improvement with the shim at least. So, if it’s a bolt on, always shim.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the info, Bill. I wonder how long it's been since Fender's have sold with shims. Guessing with CNC that it's less of an issue now rather than back in the early days?
Old 08-26-2018, 10:55 AM

i'd ask the same as dru.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 08-28-2018, 11:53 AM

I bought a used Classic 60s Telecaster three years ago that was ok but needed some TLC. To begin with I did the business card trick but wasn’t totally happy with the result. Then I saw the StewMac ships and ordered a pack (with a half degree shim and a 1 degree shim). I used the half degree shim and that telecaster is one is the nicest guitars to play!

My Strat on the other hand has the micro tilt adjustment but so far doesn’t need adjusting.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 08-28-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
I bought a used Classic 60s Telecaster three years ago that was ok but needed some TLC. To begin with I did the business card trick but wasn’t totally happy with the result. Then I saw the StewMac ships and ordered a pack (with a half degree shim and a 1 degree shim). I used the half degree shim and that telecaster is one is the nicest guitars to play!

My Strat on the other hand has the micro tilt adjustment but so far doesn’t need adjusting.
I might have to look at those StewMac shims.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I might have to look at those StewMac shims.

A luthier friend of mine doesn’t think it makes much difference but online I read an article which talked about how a neck or neck pocket can deform over time as the pressure pushes the neck down on the credit card, business card, or in my case a part of a plastic conference pass holder. He recommended fashioning a maple (in the case of maple necks) shim according to the shape of the neck pocket and then plane and sand it down to the right thinness and angle. This is way beyond my next to non-existent carpentry skills so almost the very day I got a mail from StewMac advertising their new maple shims I ordered a pack.

Even with postage from the USA to Sweden it was really quite cheap. Having a maple shim that fits the pocket exactly and tilts the neck at the right angle just feels like the right solution. So far the guitar feels and plays extremely well, way beyond the price I paid for it, including new bridge (I don’t like the classic 60 saddles) and shims.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 08-30-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
A luthier friend of mine doesn’t think it makes much difference but online I read an article which talked about how a neck or neck pocket can deform over time as the pressure pushes the neck down on the credit card, business card, or in my case a part of a plastic conference pass holder. He recommended fashioning a maple (in the case of maple necks) shim according to the shape of the neck pocket and then plane and sand it down to the right thinness and angle. This is way beyond my next to non-existent carpentry skills so almost the very day I got a mail from StewMac advertising their new maple shims I ordered a pack.

Even with postage from the USA to Sweden it was really quite cheap. Having a maple shim that fits the pocket exactly and tilts the neck at the right angle just feels like the right solution. So far the guitar feels and plays extremely well, way beyond the price I paid for it, including new bridge (I don’t like the classic 60 saddles) and shims.
I've read the same thing about the business card / credit card or anything else that doesn't cover the full pocket (that it can deform the neck). I've also read where people and musicians have done this for decades without any issues.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:52 AM

I do not think the issue is so much whether or not there is a shim present (Idea for on-line business: "Add this magical zebra/tiger-wood shim to your guitar and experience the difference in tone! Just $9.95 plus S&H.")

I believe that these observations really underscore the importance of proper neck-to-body angle, along with a proper set-up of the instrument.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've read the same thing about the business card / credit card or anything else that doesn't cover the full pocket (that it can deform the neck). I've also read where people and musicians have done this for decades without any issues.
Oh me too, but like I said, although the plastic insert solution worked well enough for me until I got the "real" thing, having a maple shim feels right!

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 08-31-2018, 08:59 AM

When my MIM Strat needed the neck angle adjusted, I did the research and decided that it needed a wood shim. I called a local guy claiming to be an experienced tech. He said he uses a business card. I told him that was unacceptable. He countered with brass. I told him I wanted wood.

He hung up the phone.

I gave it to a friend who works at National building guitars. He learned his craft at World Of Strings in Long Beach, CA. He made a shim of wood, set it up, and now he won’t give it back. He prefers it to his Telecaster.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars