The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2018, 08:41 PM

Default Guitar Strap

I'll start by saying I'm a big guy, meaning overweight, and my nylon strap rests against my neck rather than on my shoulder. I'm looking into getting a custom made leather strap, will the stiffness of the leather cause the strap to lay on my shoulder or will it do the same as the nylon? Anyone experience this?
Old 09-26-2018, 08:58 PM

Where a guitar strap comes to rest has nothing to do with its width or its stiffness.
It's a gravity and center of mass thing.
Your tummy and forces from your two arms will push the guitar into whatever position it pushes it into.

Perhaps if your strap material had more friction it would do a better job of remaining where you place it on your shirt/shoulder.
You could sew something with more friction onto the strap where is touches your shirt.
Perhaps even sew velcro onto your strap and shirt.

The smoothness/roughness of your shirt also factors in.
For instance slippery materials, like silk or rayon, will let the strap slide over more than higher-friction fabrics like wool, corduroy, flannel, or fleece.

Last edited by Tico; 09-26-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:18 PM

It may be that your strap is too short. Lengthen it and see if that changes anything.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:31 PM

Something like this might help.

See the last pic.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/4868073...-strap-buffalo
Old 09-26-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semolinapilcher View Post
Something like this might help.

See the last pic.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/4868073...-strap-buffalo
Appreciate it.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:46 PM

I hear you and think I understand the issue. As said by another member, the stiffness has no bearing on your issue. What you need to be focused on is how the strap distributes the weight/pressure and how it conforms to your anatomy. I've dealt with this issue, but with much heavier bass guitars (10 pounds +). Acoustics are 4-6 pounds on average, so it should be easier to obtain comfort.

The S curve strap mentioned above isn't a bad idea but there is a cheaper alternative. I've purchased several Perris 3.5" wide leather straps. They cost all of $11. Of course being cheap if you want them supple you have to break them in. What I've done is cut a crescent shape, 1/2" at the apex so that it sits fine on my shoulder without digging into my neck and yet has enough width to distribute the weight. And being 3.5" wide, my back and chest also carry some of the weight too. Here's a link to the strap I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/Perris-Leathe...8-1&ref=sr_1_1 I've got a picture somewhere on my other computer where I've illustrated the cutout. I'll try to find it tomorrow.

Now being a big guy you may need to buy an extension to make the strap longer, but should have no problem finding one. I think Planet Waves makes a cheap one.

I think the single ply wide strap with cutout is a good bet. If you get a fancier strap you won't be able to customize without wrecking it. A single ply leather you can just cut with a scissors and nobody can tell that you've modded. it.

Good luck.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

Last edited by vindibona1; 09-27-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I hear you and think I understand the issue. As said by another member, the stiffness has no bearing on your issue. What you need to be focused on is how the strap distributes the weight/pressure and how it conforms to your anatomy. I've dealt with this issue, but with much heavier bass guitars (10 pounds +). Acoustics are 4-6 pounds on average, so it should be easier to obtain comfort.

The S curve strap mentioned above isn't a bad idea but there is a cheaper alternative. I've purchased several Perris 3.5" wide leather straps. They cost all of $11. Of course being cheap if you want them supple you have to break them in. What I've done is cut a crescent shape, 1/2" at the apex so that it sits fine on my shoulder without digging into my neck and yet has enough width to distribute the weight. And being 3.5" wide, my back and chest also carry some of the weight too. Here's a link to the strap I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/Perris-Leathe...8-1&ref=sr_1_1 I've got a picture somewhere on my other computer where I've illustrated the cutout. I'll try to find it tomorrow.

Now being a big guy you may need to buy an extension to make the strap longer, but should have no problem finding one. I think Planet Waves makes a cheap one.

I think the single ply wide strap with cutout is a good bet. If you get a fancier strap you won't be able to customize without wrecking it. A single ply leather you can just cut with a scissors and nobody can tell that you've modded. it.

Good luck.
Another great idea. Thanks so much.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiefisch View Post
I'll start by saying I'm a big guy, meaning overweight, and my nylon strap rests against my neck rather than on my shoulder. I'm looking into getting a custom made leather strap, will the stiffness of the leather cause the strap to lay on my shoulder or will it do the same as the nylon? Anyone experience this?
Sounds like what you need is a strap with a suede backing. That will stay in place on your shoulder (within reason) rather than slide around in obedience to gravity, the way a slippery nylon strap would.

There's plenty of suede straps like that available, custom not needed unless that's what you want anyhow.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

Sully's yer man - hand-made straps, the very highest quality workmanship and materials. This one is sold, but it look like the kinda thing you need...

https://sullysstraps.com/products/guitar-banjo-1058/

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 09-27-2018, 02:31 AM
Charter Member

This might help :

Old 09-27-2018, 05:50 AM

A nice, soft, padded leather strap will make things more comfortable wherever it lays. Also if you attach your strap to the neck block, try going old school and attach it to the headstock. That should keep it from cutting into your neck. That's how I roll, strap attached to headstock using Martin's headstock strap thingy.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
A nice, soft, padded leather strap will make things more comfortable wherever it lays. Also if you attach your strap to the neck block, try going old school and attach it to the headstock. That should keep it from cutting into your neck. That's how I roll, strap attached to headstock using Martin's headstock strap thingy.
Another good idea.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:46 AM

I tried several different straps, at all possible lengths, but the strap always made my shoulder and neck ache. Plus, the guitar neck never stayed at the optimal angle.

I killed those two birds with one cost-free stone: I tied the strap to the head stock, Neil Young style. That eliminated pain and improved guitar's positioning relative to my hands, thereby improving my playing.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiefisch View Post
Some good suggestions here. Finding the right solution to these kinds of challenges can be a matter of experimenting with a few different options. Please let us know what you find that best solves your issue.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-27-2018, 12:23 PM

Take a look at the width of the strap. 2" - 2.5" seems to be the sweet spot for me, any wider and I start getting that 'neck' thing. I do use wider widths for my basses, because they have to be that wide.

A suede backed strap also helps, especially if you have a neck heavy instrument (...especially 12 string). Your fingering hand should not be holding the neck up while you play.
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion